Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

At a loss with colloidal silver dosage & application

Hi! I hope Koko will read this and help me out cause I'm told she's the expert on silver here.

I'm looking into colloidal silver I can get in my country for my fish first aid kit. What I found is available in two forms: liquid and powder. There's a slight possibility I may need a prescription for the later and ask at the pharmacy what the concentration is and what additives it contains. The liquid one is described on label as 30%/l solution and recommended use in mouth was and desinfenction is 1 part of silver to be disolved in 2 or 4 parts of water. It also says that 100ml can be applied to treat 5 liters (aprox. about 1,5gal if my calculations are correct.) Is this concentration any close to the 500ppm Koko recommended in another thread? Should I go for liquid or powder? I'll have to order it as they probably won't have any in the pharmacy and the delivery will take some time.

Thank you, Koko. Well, then I'll have to figure the 'parts per million' in percentages.....Maths really not my cup of tea or anything. I'll see if the pharmacist can help me to figure this out.

I got it! 30mg/l means 30ppm. How much should I use in a silver bath? A hole bottle?

That one looks to be good hun :)

Okay do we know the ppms on this one?

Yes, it's 30ppm

I got it! 30mg/l means 30ppm. How much should I use in a silver bath? A hole bottle?

I would start with a 2 gallon bowl with tank water... then I would start with 25 drops we can adjust later... What seems to be the issue hun... Silver can cure all :(

Thanks Koko! I appreciate your help. I just want to have it at hand and know how to use it. One of my fish, Rorie, has a deformed front fin and I've noticed that it's very succeptable to fin rot. Apparently it's his achilles foot. I did a salt dip last time following Jenny's from solidgold instructions and his fin is ok for now. The white stuff cleared off and I keep close eye on him. However, he sort of passed out when I took him back to the fresh water bow and this is considering it was tank water and I checked it was the same temperature. Fortunately, he came back to his senses (took him good 2 minutes to do so) while I was in the middle of a panic attack wondering how to do a cpr on a fish. I suppose he is more sensitive and I should avoid salt in the future and treat him with something else.

Thanks Koko! I appreciate your help. I just want to have it at hand and know how to use it. One of my fish, Rorie, has a deformed front fin and I've noticed that it's very succeptable to fin rot. Apparently it's his achilles foot. I did a salt dip last time following Jenny's from solidgold instructions and his fin is ok for now. The white stuff cleared off and I keep close eye on him. However, he sort of passed out when I took him back to the fresh water bow and this is considering it was tank water and I checked it was the same temperature. Fortunately, he came back to his senses (took him good 2 minutes to do so) while I was in the middle of a panic attack wondering how to do a cpr on a fish. I suppose he is more sensitive and I should avoid salt in the future and treat him with something else.

Its a good med to have one had... It cant cure all but It does do good with Wounds and other bacterial issues.... Dont add it to the already cycled tank... there is a 50-50 chance of killing the bb's in the filter :o if you dont have a very strong cycled tank :)

No, no, would never do such thing. By the way, how long the silver bath should last? Sames salt dip, 3-5min?

No, no, would never do such thing. By the way, how long the silver bath should last? Sames salt dip, 3-5min?

Normally we only go about 5 mins... but in extreme cases we can go to 15 min :)