Kokos Goldfish Forum
SweetMamaKaty

SunSun 304B Show and Tell! (pic heavy)

Hi all,

First an update. I did get in touch with the seller about the noise and was sent a new pump head. This one is quieter so I'm happy now with the unit. Now if I could just quiet down my air pump...

Now a question: I have mine set up like this (bottom to top) :

2 Coarse black sponge (I cut to fit)

Medium blue and 3 fine white (the sponges that came with the unit)

Matrix

Matrix topped with the last fine white sponge

My white sponges that were in my second tray were tan/brown with detritus while my blue and black sponges were nearly clean. The white on top of the last Matrix was also a little dirty.

I was hoping to catch the greatest amount of gunk with the graduated coarseness approach. But in the end all I care about is getting the most mechanical filtration that I can out of the sponges before the matrix. So should I just get more fine pads to replace the coarse sponges? Other than the pads that came with the unit what else are you all using for mechanical?

I have 2 SunSun's myself and happy with the results. Crystal clear water, very quiet and for the price, can't be beat. 

Hi all,

First an update. I did get in touch with the seller about the noise and was sent a new pump head. This one is quieter so I'm happy now with the unit. Now if I could just quiet down my air pump...

Now a question: I have mine set up like this (bottom to top) :

2 Coarse black sponge (I cut to fit)

Medium blue and 3 fine white (the sponges that came with the unit)

Matrix

Matrix topped with the last fine white sponge

My white sponges that were in my second tray were tan/brown with detritus while my blue and black sponges were nearly clean. The white on top of the last Matrix was also a little dirty.

I was hoping to catch the greatest amount of gunk with the graduated coarseness approach. But in the end all I care about is getting the most mechanical filtration that I can out of the sponges before the matrix. So should I just get more fine pads to replace the coarse sponges? Other than the pads that came with the unit what else are you all using for mechanical?

I think all I have for mechanical is what came with it.  I've added a ton of biomedia, and a bag of Purigen, but that's about it.  :)

Love this thread :D

Makes me want one of these filters :nana

But I was under the impression that you didn't need to service canister filters as frequently as AC filters :idont like once a month or 6 wks is adequate.

I usually service them about every 8 weeks :peeka
That's what I'm talking about :thumbs:
i can't remember the last time I serviced mine :peeka:donthit: I'm doing it Monday probably :rofl

I have a cut to fit at the bottom white pad, a marine land blue/white pad, and then a micron pad, and finally pre filter Fluval media, the third I have marine land blue/white and regular Fluval bio media, the second and first are marine land blue/white with matrix on top. That sums up my sunsun :rofl

I just got the 302 for my 29 gal. I can't believe how quiet it is! :nana

Have you cleaned it yet?

Please discuss!

I just got the 302 for my 29 gal. I can't believe how quiet it is! :nana

Have you cleaned it yet?

Please discuss!

oh yes :rofl I have :P I have had it for a year now :) still love it!!

Update!  Sadly, not a good one... :(

It looks like the uv light is degrading the plastic housing of the trays.  I have the light off now, but I felt like it really helped with my green water.  Does anyone else run your uv all the time like I was doing?  I can't find anywhere to buy replacement trays, but I hate to think this would continue to happen by running the light.

post-23991-0-67983700-1455414691_thumb.j

post-23991-0-29618400-1455414714_thumb.j

I think long term you would be fine without the UV. 

How are you doing with your Sun Sun canister? IM thinking about getting the HW-404B for my 125. 

Edited by DawnMichele

How are you doing with your Sun Sun canister? IM thinking about getting the HW-404B for my 125. 

I still like it, even with this issue.  I just wish I hadn't run the light at all, rather than think it would be ok and have it cause damage like this.  But yeah, I feel like the filter does a good job, and I don't mind the cleaning. :)

I still like it, even with this issue.  I just wish I hadn't run the light at all, rather than think it would be ok and have it cause damage like this.  But yeah, I feel like the filter does a good job, and I don't mind the cleaning. :)

That's a shame that happened. The 404B has a UV on it. 

Do you think its better than your AC 110?

Edited by DawnMichele

I still like it, even with this issue. I just wish I hadn't run the light at all, rather than think it would be ok and have it cause damage like this. But yeah, I feel like the filter does a good job, and I don't mind the cleaning. :)

That's a shame that happened. The 404B has a UV on it.

As long as there's a switch for it, you should be able to run it without and avoid that. :)

Thanks Kathleen. I appreciate your help.

It looks like the uv light is degrading the plastic housing of the trays.  I have the light off now, but I felt like it really helped with my green water.  Does anyone else run your uv all the time like I was doing?  I can't find anywhere to buy replacement trays, but I hate to think this would continue to happen by running the light.

attachicon.gifIMG_38541.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_38551.JPG

OMG! That is terrible! I guess at least it tells you that the uv is working...

I actually never use mine because I have an inline uv hooked up instead. I know they come without UVs (304a) but they are hard to find. I would prefer one of those myself.

Where did you get yours? I got mine from an ebay seller who was very helpful with an initial problem I had with mine. If you got yours from ebay you might want to ask your seller if they have replacements, maybe some parts laying around from another return or something?

Where did you get yours? I got mine from an ebay seller who was very helpful with an initial problem I had with mine. If you got yours from ebay you might want to ask your seller if they have replacements, maybe some parts laying around from another return or something?

Mine was from Amazon.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask!

:no:  :no:

attachicon.gifIMG_38541.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_38551.JPG

That looks bad.. Good thing it didn't burned the whole CF.. and your fish are fine...

I just serviced my CF (HW-303B) with UV too last January if Im right... 

Luckily the UV was still okay.. no burned trays and UV housing..

Why did the UV burned the housing and the trays... that's odd..

Hopefully you find a way to sort things out :)

Edited by Fastlane