Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

SunSun 304B Show and Tell! (pic heavy)

My canister filter arrived yesterday, and I can't wait to show anyone interested! :)  I'm really happy with the quality:price ratio too.  I don't know what kind of a customer service experience I should expect in the future, but for now I'm really liking the filter itself.  It came with a good amount of media to start, and I added all the bio media from the AC110 I took down.

This canister is large, and reminds me of R2-D2  :teehee

IMG_1949_zpsswr0gfhc.jpg

This model has a 9watt UV light.  I don't expect 100% sterilization or anything, but I am planning on running it all the time.  I'm excited for whatever benefits it can provide.

IMG_1950_zpsomlj5ixm.jpg

Four trays for media, a "5-stage" filter.

IMG_1951_zpspdrhgqtx.jpg?t=1440789138

The far right tray goes in first, 1 coarse blue pad and 4 fine white pads.

IMG_1952_zpsrwi66o2h.jpg

The next layer up has one layer of white floss and a bag of carbon.  I'm planning on using carbon for awhile to see how things go, and I will put my Purigen in this tray too.  I finally broke down and ordered "The Bag" to put it in, but when I opened the stocking I had it in, I found it needed to be regenerated and I hadn't realized it.  So that will go in later.

Next up is  another layer of white floss and 40 black bio balls.  I put half my biomedia from the AC110 in the open side.

IMG_1954_zpswlim09so.jpg

After that is the last tray with another layer of floss and new biomedia.  I put the rest of my media in this tray.

The tubing (already green - yes!  :teehee ) with intakes and spray bar.  I like that it has both a submerged intake and a "skimmer".

IMG_1955_zpsikpgyply.jpg

In the cabinet.  It does take up a lot of space, but it's worth it to me.

IMG_1956_zpsrm6roplu.jpg

A sneak peek at my planned sump/algae scrubber.  I still need some essential parts to get that going, so for now I'll have one AC110 and the SunSun running on this tank.

IMG_1957_zpsf68n8obv.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

I love it. I just got the 404b in last week. My first canister and installation was um a pain in the butt. I wanna get another one to replace my hob AC 110 :)

Have u owed a canister before? Anything I should keep my eye on?

I think I was told that the UV 9 watt is great for such things as green water. I dont think it does much for killing parasites as its not strong enough. I have mine off as of now. I am intimidated to run it all the time lol

Is the skimmer supposed to be fully submerged? Mine is not fully in the water and was making a weird noise so I capped it off. Sorry for all the posts lol

Congratulations!!!!!

This is my first canister set up, and it was easy, although I was intimidated cutting the hoses to length - no going back you know!

I do have green water sometimes, and I thought the Purigen had solved that, but it's been back recently.  There again, the Purigen does need regenerated, so that could be why.  I originally was attracted to the size and price of this canister, so the UV was just the icing.  The main thing I have read about UV is not to go back and forth, so I'm just going to go for it.  I haven't been happy with my tank lately, so I figure it's one more thing to try.

Yeah, when I first got it all primed and running, it was making an awful sound and blowing bubbles.  Then we realized the amount of water the canister had taken to prime made the water level go below the height of the skimmer.  I just topped it off and it was great then.  I wonder why I can't (and plan to try) adding some "Primed" water right to the canister before priming it, to avoid the top-off step.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other I guess.

No prob on the posts, I'm excited to have someone to talk about it with, lol. :D

Thanks Dawn, I've been waiting a long time for this! :D

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Can you tell what are the differences between the 304 and 404?  They both say 5-stage, both have UV option, about the same size, say same GPH and suggested tank size...  Are the # of trays the same or different?  What differences do you see?

Is this the one that you found to be a pain, or another one in the past?

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

This is my first canister set up, and it was easy, although I was intimidated cutting the hoses to length - no going back you know!

I do have green water sometimes, and I thought the Purigen had solved that, but it's been back recently.  There again, the Purigen does need regenerated, so that could be why.  I originally was attracted to the size and price of this canister, so the UV was just the icing.  The main thing I have read about UV is not to go back and forth, so I'm just going to go for it.  I haven't been happy with my tank lately, so I figure it's one more thing to try.

Yeah, when I first got it all primed and running, it was making an awful sound and blowing bubbles.  Then we realized the amount of water the canister had taken to prime made the water level go below the height of the skimmer.  I just topped it off and it was great then.  I wonder why I can't (and plan to try) adding some "Primed" water right to the canister before priming it, to avoid the top-off step.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other I guess.

No prob on the posts, I'm excited to have someone to talk about it with, lol. :D

Thanks Dawn, I've been waiting a long time for this! :D

I know what you mean on the priming. I ended up taking some tank water and dumping it in the canister because I was priming so long I was sweating my butt off . I didn't cut my hose length and I should it's a little long for my liking and I am sure that will mess with the flow. I have to do a WC today and I was thinking about cutting the hose  :yikes

Can you tell what are the differences between the 304 and 404?  They both say 5-stage, both have UV option, about the same size, say same GPH and suggested tank size...  Are the # of trays the same or different?  What differences do you see?

Is this the one that you found to be a pain, or another one in the past?

The only thing that I saw different was that the UV switch was in a different spot and the priming button is smaller on mine. I read somewhere that claimed the difference between the two was a more efficient and quieter motor. :idont  I can't say for sure if that is true as I have never owned a canister or Sunsun before.

The pain in the butt issue was attaching the hoses on. I had to run hot water on the tubes for them to soften up :)  

Oh and my canister is blue :hmm  lol

I'm going to take a picture 

Ok I know this looks bad :yikes  but I am going to cut the hose today so nobody :SmackBottom: me lol

and you can see it's like a light blue gray color instead of the normal white LOL

20150829_163244_zpsedexxefo.jpg

Interesting!

I think I might have cut mine a little too short, if I ever want to move the intake further down.  But I guess I'll deal with that if the time ever comes.

I found it a little confusing picking one on Amazon, because the prices were all over the place for the same model, other models, etc.

Thanks for the pic!

Did you just cut them with a pair of scissors? I also saw that you can get hoses fairly cheap in case you ever need to move it and need longer ones :)

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Flexible-Tubing-SUNSUN-Canister/dp/B00NI4NMI2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440881004&sr=8-2&keywords=sunsun+canister+hoses

Did you just cut them with a pair of scissors? I also saw that you can get hoses fairly cheap in case you ever need to move it and need longer ones :)

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Flexible-Tubing-SUNSUN-Canister/dp/B00NI4NMI2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440881004&sr=8-2&keywords=sunsun+canister+hoses

Oh that's good to know!

I used a sharp knife, but I think scissors would have worked.

I ended up getting mine on ebay. Prices were everywhere and I bought from this seller before so I just went for it. Mine also came with extra media but I had to get more because I was replacing a AC70 lol

I'm going to attempt to cut the hose.. wish me luck. Hopefully I don't get water everywhere and I shut everything down correctly  :blink:

Yes they do! I had to get more bio rings and I got 2L of Seachem Matrix (which is pretty much pumice I think)

Oh btw the other difference is the 404b now has a handle. So basically the added that and moved the switch and smaller primer button. lol

Whenever you want to talk canisters just let me know... It's like my new thing lately ;)

A handle would be nice, because I had to pretty much just grab it around the sides, and I imagine that's going to be fun now that it's full!

A handle would be nice, because I had to pretty much just grab it around the sides, and I imagine that's going to be fun now that it's full!

I grab mine under, gives me more leverage.. And it may prevent back pain.. Because a full canister a size of yours maybe around 15-18lbs or more.. And I grab mine under so not to stress the upper portion and the main canister..might cause a leak when carrying a fully loaded canister..

Ok I know this looks bad :yikes  but I am going to cut the hose today so nobody :SmackBottom: me lol

and you can see it's like a light blue gray color instead of the normal white LOL

20150829_163244_zpsedexxefo.jpg

Nice looking CF. :) as far as looks is concerned :)

How's the performance?

I got a smaller version.. The 303b/370 gph 4 stage CF. I would say it holds a lot of media and its big and bulky.. I imagine how big is the 304/404 version.. :D

My canister filter arrived yesterday, and I can't wait to show anyone interested! :)  I'm really happy with the quality:price ratio too.  I don't know what kind of a customer service experience I should expect in the future, but for now I'm really liking the filter itself.  It came with a good amount of media to start, and I added all the bio media from the AC110 I took down.

This canister is large, and reminds me of R2-D2  :teehee

IMG_1949_zpsswr0gfhc.jpg

This model has a 9watt UV light.  I don't expect 100% sterilization or anything, but I am planning on running it all the time.  I'm excited for whatever benefits it can provide.

IMG_1950_zpsomlj5ixm.jpg

Four trays for media, a "5-stage" filter.

IMG_1951_zpspdrhgqtx.jpg?t=1440789138

The far right tray goes in first, 1 coarse blue pad and 4 fine white pads.

IMG_1952_zpsrwi66o2h.jpg

The next layer up has one layer of white floss and a bag of carbon.  I'm planning on using carbon for awhile to see how things go, and I will put my Purigen in this tray too.  I finally broke down and ordered "The Bag" to put it in, but when I opened the stocking I had it in, I found it needed to be regenerated and I hadn't realized it.  So that will go in later.

Next up is  another layer of white floss and 40 black bio balls.  I put half my biomedia from the AC110 in the open side.

IMG_1954_zpswlim09so.jpg

After that is the last tray with another layer of floss and new biomedia.  I put the rest of my media in this tray.

The tubing (already green - yes!  :teehee ) with intakes and spray bar.  I like that it has both a submerged intake and a "skimmer".

IMG_1955_zpsikpgyply.jpg

In the cabinet.  It does take up a lot of space, but it's worth it to me.

IMG_1956_zpsrm6roplu.jpg

A sneak peek at my planned sump/algae scrubber.  I still need some essential parts to get that going, so for now I'll have one AC110 and the SunSun running on this tank.

IMG_1957_zpsf68n8obv.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

For the price they really are cheaper.. :D