Kokos Goldfish Forum
Anna Ko

New Goldfish (Ammonia Burns?)

4f98c8dcbbf69660c2409f243ef882df.jpg

fcfe6b7a8ba99eeb1279e625c7dde72f.jpg

I recently went to a pet store and saw some poor Ryukin goldfish stuffed into a tiny tank. I rescued two of them and one of them have black tainted fins. I'm not sure if they're ammonia burns or just the goldfish changing colors since pictures online of ammonia burns seem pretty brutal and not as clean-looking as these. The other goldfish has red gills but I'm not sure if these are ammonia burns or just his gills showing through his really transparent skin. Please help! Let me know if they're ammonia burns and if they are how can I treat them?

Welcome to Kokos!!!!!!

The red gills just mean transparent gill covers (common in calicos) over healthy gills.  The black dorsal fin edge looks like the end of color change.  Black characterizes healing burns or wounds, and thus requires no more than nice clean water.

Welcome to Kokos!

Start by reading our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Awe they are cute! Welcome to Koko's :)

Aww, thank you everybody!! Such a nice community. ????

The red gills just mean transparent gill covers (common in calicos) over healthy gills. The black dorsal fin edge looks like the end of color change. Black characterizes healing burns or wounds, and thus requires no more than nice clean water.

Welcome to Kokos!

Start by reading our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Thanks!

They look good.. Nice save :)

:welcome and your fish are very cute. I love the calico :)

Welcome! You definitely choose two very cute savelings <3 may I ask if you have named them?

Welcome! You definitely choose two very cute savelings <3 may I ask if you have named them?

Thank you! I only named the calico. His name is Dr. Fury because he has one black eye which makes it seem like an eyepatch

They are really cute fish! I love the calico (I have a thing for calicos :P) Welcome to Kokos!

I like Calicos, too, Mandy!

Welcome to Kokos, OP! The guidelines linked are super helpful in caring for goldfish successfully, do look over them :)

Thank you! I only named the calico. His name is Dr. Fury because he has one black eye which makes it seem like an eyepatch
Ah, what a wonderful name!

Please take good care of Dr. Fury and others. Koko's is definitely one of the best places to help you in that <3

Nice looking fish! :)

Hey guys.. I went to the pet store again.. I saw 4 tiny baby feeder fish and took them home because they were just maybe a half an inch big. One of them is in really bad condition. Do you think he'll live? He hasn't been moving and is just floating around but when touched he'll rapidly swim away.

How much tank space do you have?  Do you understand the importance of quarantining new fish?  Are you quarantining the new fish you showed above?

If you want  to rescue fish, you must have multiple tanks to deal with sick fish and those that might be carrying illness that can spread to others.  You don't want to lose all of your fish trying to save a sick one.

Hello and Welcome to koko's :)

How much tank space do you have? Do you understand the importance of quarantining new fish? Are you quarantining the new fish you showed above?

If you want to rescue fish, you must have multiple tanks to deal with sick fish and those that might be carrying illness that can spread to others. You don't want to lose all of your fish trying to save a sick one.

I have 2 extra 20 gallons and one 40 gallon. I quarantined the new fish in 2 separate 20 gallons

Are you following this quarantine procedure?  Please follow the procedure for "fish from a questionable source"  regardless of source.

Are you following this quarantine procedure? Please follow the procedure for "fish from a questionable source" regardless of source.

I've read through it and the only thing I wasn't doing was the gravel. I'll fix it and thanks for the help!