Kokos Goldfish Forum

Ok, so I've washed off some noodles to put in my top filter to help with bacteria housing.

The only thing is the water seems cloudy now have I done something wrong??? :unsure:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/belindadewhurst/C98CD16D-39DD-4333-9FDD-D87BCAB2751C_zpswi42fv7q.jpg

Did you clean the filter at the same time or just drop the noodles in ?

Perhaps you disturbed the filter.

Or maybe the noodles needed a more vigorous clean?

Hard to say. The pic doesn't show the cloudyness.

I rinsed filter in tank water and washed noodles in regular tap water then tank water. Sorry I'll add water pic. I did a 80% water change 2 days ago and has made a bit clearer.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/belindadewhurst/CF1A21B7-82D4-49E5-B66A-90CFA5AC02B4_zpss7gyxfhq.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/belindadewhurst/44994069-DE81-412A-B6C9-322DF50D3E45_zpslgesjped.jpg

Water parameters are:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5ppm

Ph 7.6 add bi carb, tap water is Ph 6.4

Water temp 20•c

May have had a spike in your cycle from adding media to tank.

You also may have flare ups more often due to tank size. Goldfish are quite "messy" and do require a large volume of water.

Theyre small atm so should be ok.

Can always add cheap sponge filter to the system to aid in filtration.

This also happened to me..When I switched my CF to a bigger one.. I added the old media and added more(new).. Maybe due to a cycle bump.. 

I hope that your water cloudiness will be resolve soon. Nobody wants to see their tank cloudy for sure.. :)

Edited by Fastlane

Thank you guys for the advice.

There is a black filter sponge thingy in there at the moment, i just added the noodles on the lower section of that.I think with this next water change thinks will clear up a bit. The fish are still happy so i guess that is the main thing :thumbup2:

I definitely need a new tank and are planning to get one when we move house next year  :greenbanana: quite exciting!

Sorry Blackmoors, i just realised what you meant with the sponge filter :wall. Great idea!

I have completed another water change of 80% and the water is clear again, yay!

Although One of my fish is bottom sitting a bit now, it started the day before water change (yesturday I changed water) :hummm

BTW, if nitrate is at low levels after a week do you still need to change a % of water? or do you change when nitrate is at certain levels?

Set up a regular water change schedule that you have determined keeps nitrates low, then stick to that system.  If you can make the nitrates disappear, all the better.

Most of us stick to 50% or greater weekly WCs, regardless of Nitrates. The nitrates are not the only thing that you do WCs for. Providing clean water is very important as well, since dirty water can have zero Nitrate too.

Yes that makes sense chelseaM. Thanks