Kokos Goldfish Forum

In my new home in sunny Florida we have well water, I never gave it much thought other than the occasional sulfur smell it gives off,Except recently the koi guy pointed out that well water has no oxygen :(  Now I'm wondering if that is why I had such troubles with keeping Betta's? I gave up after losing my last one :( I have added aeration in my goldfish tank and plan on a waterfall feature in the pond,is there anything else I need to know??

I live in Florida and have well water and I haven't had any problem's.

I love having well water. Huge water changes cost almost nothing, no dechlorinator is needed, and the water is very hard so my water is very stable. To overcome the oxygen issue, I just splash the water back into the tank during a change. I dont add air.

You can just have a lab test the water periodically, also a good suggestion would be to visit a commercial company that uses well water to grow their trout or whatever coldwater fish. You will learn alot from that!

Well water is generally very good for fish. I love when I am at my mom's and can keep my fish in it. Haven't had any issues

I've always been nervous to use my well water. One for the fact that I can't control the temp and that last time I tested my pH in it, it was 6.0. I'll be checking that again and keeping up with this thread :)

I have well water and have found it does fluctuate throughout the year (mainly ph - it's generally low here in Virginia)

I constantly have to check it.. I age all my water for 24 hours before water changes with aeration and crushed coral. - this also gives time for everything to come to room temperature to match the tank temp.

But I must say it's nice to know well water is more natural and hasn't been recycled and treated and had who knows what added to it.

I am scared there might be some weird bugs living in my well as I have had some strange issues since keeping goldfish for the past 6 months... I have never had a problem with all my tropical fish (bettas and tetras)

But I did have some goldfish with a microsporidia infection which I've come to find quite rare... Don't know where it came from and can't find anyone to test my well for it. :/ but they are all still alive..

Get a complete water test. You will lots of information here.  If the testers can't tell you if the results indicate you have good "koi pond" water (koi get more respect than goldfish), you can get information from UF extension.  

You can always fill a barrel with water, put in an airstone and a packet of activated carbon.  This should take care of almost any problem your well water has.