Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
QandD

Recommended spirulina?

I was curious which brand of spirulina you all would recommend (if, of course, you feed spirulina). I used to have some, but then noticed that they also contained fish meal (???).

I would assume that any spirullina fish food product would contain other ingredients.  If you want pure spirullina to use in a gel food, go to the health food store and get some much cheaper.  Quality standards for human food exceed those for pet food.  

I was curious which brand of spirulina you all would recommend (if, of course, you feed spirulina). I used to have some, but then noticed that they also contained fish meal (???).

NLS ALgae Max. Love it. Take a look at the ingredients - its top stuff. I don't remember where spirulina is on the ingredients list at all, but it has so many different kinds of algae.

Wait found the info:

Size

• 125g (4.4 oz)

Pellet Size

• Small 1mm

Guaranteed Analysis

• Crude Protein (min) 32%
  • Crude Fat (min) 5%
  • Crude Fiber (max) 10%
  • Moisture (max) 10%
  • Ash (max) 9%
  • Vit. A (min) 8000 IU/Kg
  • Vit. D (min) 2500 IU/Kg
  • Vit. E (min) 200 IU/Kg

Ingredients

Algae; Chlorella, Ulva Seaweed, Red Seaweed, Kelp, Spirulina, Wakame Seaweed, Whole Antarctic Krill, Whole Fish, Eucheuma cottonii, Spinosum Seaweed, Chondrus crispus, Whole Wheat Flour, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Alfalfa, Astaxanthin, Capsanthin, Zeaxanthin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate

Edited by apecentral

Some are much, much better than others. I feed the zoomed Spirulina flakes and they're awesome. Major growth and color improvement in the fry I fed them to. Those and Paradigm Herbivore are my staple foods for my trops and supplement for my goldfish when I remember to feed it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Spirulina-Flake-2-Ounce/dp/B003I5ZP3Q

Edited by Arctic Mama