Kokos Goldfish Forum
kiro

Using Tropica Plant Growth substrate in Goldfish tank?

I seem to recall someone here had done this. Can't find the post though.

I have few questions;

1) Is this acceptable substrate for goldfish tank?

2) If I use this, do I need to cover it with sand? (the manufacturer seems to recommend it, but I worry if it becomes too deep layer with sand and creates nasties in the tank).

This is example of the substrate.

If it helps, the tank I'll have will have base measurements of 140cm (long) and 50cm (wide).

The most "demanding" plant I'm planning to try in there are dwarf lilies (tiger and thai). Aside of that I am thinking vallisneria, types of anubias and maybe some type of crypts or swords, and just pray that when I'll finally get fish the plants will be established enough and the fish small enough to not turn into expensive salad.

I'd be grateful for any and all opinions and help, as usual :)

I've not used this and this is the first time I've heard if it. Others may be more familiar with it. As far as I can tell I don't see any reason you can't use this with goldfish. You will need a cap over it to prevent the soil from mixing in the water thus releasing unnecessary nutrients. Any nasties in the soil that may harm your fish will be absorbed by your plants.

I like your strategy of getting plants established before introducing fish.

Tropica dirts are great, I wish I had access to them. Capping the plant growth substrate with another substrate is no different to when people cap organic dirt.

Having a layer of sand isn't that big of a deal. As the plants grow their roots will move throughout the substrate. Crypts and lilies develop extensive root systems if you leave them alone for a few months. Echinodorus species do too and most are relatively easy to grow if you wanted to consider it. :)

Lis./Alicia used it in her Goldie tank and here plants grow like crazy I also use it in a low tech Bette tank so not much help here but it does make the plants grow quicker.

Yeah, I have it in my tank, capped with sand :)

Thank you everyone.

I was bit worried about the depth of the substrate because I keep hearing people warning about goldfish getting sick when bad bacteria and stuff collect in there, so it is very relieving to hear it's not too big of a problem.

LisaCGold: Thank you! I actually asked about it some time back on the forum and from local aquarium shop, and came into conclusion that established plants might have better chance to withstand possible goldfish attack. Not to mention it'll be some time after getting the tank before I can get fish anyway, so trying plants will give me something to tinker around with. :)

Dan in Aus:

I knew lilies grow big roots so I had hoped it'd help. Nice to hear it's the same with crypts. And echinodorus species look very promising, I will definitely take a closer look!

I just noticed you said swords in your original post. Echinodorus and swords are the same thing. :)

Yes, I took a look in them on proper computer just now and realised the same. (I'm usually using phone and tapatalk).

Now I feel silly >__>

If you can do that with the tropica plant growth substrate, could you maybe do it with the flourite sand and have that capped with an inert sand that's thick enough to keep goldies from stirring it up and making the tank muddy?  I've read some good reviews on the stuff other than the cloudiness lol.

I am not entirely sure what you mean LittleShadow?

If you can do that with the tropica plant growth substrate, could you maybe do it with the flourite sand and have that capped with an inert sand that's thick enough to keep goldies from stirring it up and making the tank muddy?  I've read some good reviews on the stuff other than the cloudiness lol.

You can cap anything really. I wouldn't bother capping Flourite though, if you want something that's nutrient dense for plants there are better products available.