Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AllieCalhoun

Help with changing the diet of my fish

Whoops am I think only one who only feeds pellets???

I feed floating small/medium-sized Blackwater Creek koi pellets.  In a pond, fish have natural foods to eat.  I could feed mine the horrible pond fish food the pet stores carry and they would still thrive because they have live food any time they want to work for it.  (The better stuff online is much cheaper than the wheat and corn based stuff in the pet stores).  Need some more protein?  Munch a snail.  Lots of vitamins in that pond wall biofilm.

Depending on the pellet, I think that's fine :)

I do, however, offer my Plecos blanched Zucchini because it is the only thing that survives the Goldfish long enough for the Plecos to eat :rofl

I thought it was because nobody else in your house ever eats zuchini, so you make the pleco eat it :rofl3

Well, that's also true :rofl

Edited by Jared

I have juvies and feed much more heavily than many folks here, but with no issues. High quality pellets, a great spirulina flake, and repashy gel food are the size of it. I'm unfortunately deathly allergic to shellfish and bloodworms trigger the same allergy, so we are limited on what we can feed and I have to wash my hands right away.

For reducing the size of the fish I'd feed them duckweed and Repashy Soilent Green, pretty much exclusively.

I go with the NLS thera A in the morning and recently started the NLS Agae max pellets at night.

Pellets are easy and no mess.

Nope, we are almost exclusively pellets here, too. They do get some other items, like skimmed duckweed and riccia, and repashy, but two of the three daily feelings are pellets. No floating issues and my fish look great. Ranchu is a bit fat because he snarfles up much of the food before the babies can get to it, but he's still within the bounds of normal.

I don't think so.  These recommendations seem to come from two sources -- breeders "grooming" young fish as show specimens and recommendations for aquaculture (fish farming).  In aquaculture, one wants to get the fish to market size as rapidly as possible.  This means getting 3-4 year's growth in one year.  Goldfish breeders show some confusion on the subject of grooming and health.  Some say this produces not just the optimal show fish, but also optimal health.  Yet they have a saying, "Don't show your breeders and don't breed your show fish," and some acknowledge that the show fish may fail to breed.

Koi breeders are more of one mind.  Some are devoted to producing jumbo koi with the goal of show-quality fish more than a meter long.  These generally agree that the jumbo koi are unlikely to live as long as fish that haven't been "groomed" as rigorously.

Yes, we feed more heavily in the first year for growth, but I taper off the amount for older fish. It just so happens I have a tank full of young fish and only one who is in the adult range at 2.5 years old. What an older and less active animal needs is different than a younger animal, especially if one is grooming.

Ranchu is a bit fat because he snarfles up much of the food

Not fat, rubenesque :P

I currently feed Hikari lionhead most evenings. Gel food, veggies, and blood worms are part of the rotation for morning and afternoon feedings.

Well, after two days the green beens are finally dissapearing. Is that normal?

Do you cut up the veggies or do you let them work for it?

I feed ShoImpact right now.

Well, after two days the green beens are finally dissapearing. Is that normal?

Do you cut up the veggies or do you let them work for it?

I would be removing the food after a day if it is not consumed, and try again fresh each day.

I used to, when I fed terrestrial veggies, cut them bite-sized for the fish after blanching.

I feed ShoImpact right now.

Me, too :)

What I did was buy Shoimpact, hilarious Lionhead and Hikari Saki, and NLS and mix it all together. That's what they get 2 or 3 times a day. Someone does get a little floaty every once in a while but isn't that what happens with these fancy guys!?

...hilarious Lionhead and Hikari Saki...

I am going to assume you meant Hikari Lionhead.

:lol

Hahahaha autocorrect strikes again!

Hahahaha autocorrect strikes again!

It was kinda Hikari hilarious :rofl

I thought he was just trying to be funny.

Made me laugh.

I thought he was just trying to be funny.

He is once in a while... we see the soft side of DP :rofl

There are still two questions from my opening post unanswered...

- What veggies are unsafe? (I like to experiment but I dont like to accidentely poison my fish...)

- Can my fish lose their excess bodyfat?

I don't know of any vegetables that we can eat that are toxic to goldfish.

Of course they can lose body fat.  If they use more calories than they eat, they will burn fat.  Unlike us, they can't cheat on their diet.

I don't know of any vegetables that we can eat that are toxic to goldfish.

Of course they can lose body fat.  If they use more calories than they eat, they will burn fat.  Unlike us, they can't cheat on their diet.

I know of some that give them Gas :yikes

How do you notice that fish have gas? *is trying to picture it...*