AllieCalhoun

Help with changing the diet of my fish

61 posts in this topic

Bubbly poops. Yes, I said it. They will get bubbly poops if they have gas. And those poops float.

If we get gas from it, there's a chance fish can. So I would try my best to stay away from these big offenders:

• Broccoli
  • lima beans
  • navy beans
  • kidney beans
  • cabbage
  • cauliflower
  • lentils
  • brussels sprouts

While they aren't dangerous to feed, they have been known to cause gas and that in itself keeps me from feeding them to my fancy goldfish just out of fear that the gas may upset their digestion.

How do you notice that fish have gas? *is trying to picture it...*

f8e4dc98ec961ed809852723ce67cabf.jpg

I never had gas from broccoli or other cabbage, but I will stay clear of beans. Thanks :)

What fruits can I try (or are dangerous to try)?

(btw: I cooked some yellow zucchini for lunch today and it was gone before I noticed. That was a lot smoother than the green beans I tried earlier this week (but maybe I should have cooked them longer and the pieces were too big))

I've also seen fish just straight-up fart. It was disconcerting. Broccoli doesn't agree with mine.

Also, in my experience, fruit can be messy and its high sugar content should make it a very infrequent treat. That said, Queenie used to like oranges and strawberries (seeds removed) with the occasional blueberry. 

Okey thanks. This afternoon I got some duckweed out of the ditch at the vegetables garden complex. I put it in a bucket with fresh water.

Now I have to transfer the duckweed to a fresh bucket of used water every day for a week, right?

I've also seen fish just straight-up fart. It was disconcerting. Broccoli doesn't agree with mine.

Ive seen my dojo's fart all the time :lol

Okey thanks. This afternoon I got some duckweed out of the ditch at the vegetables garden complex. I put it in a bucket with fresh water.

Now I have to transfer the duckweed to a fresh bucket of used water every day for a week, right?

Fewer days will probably be fine.  When it looks clean, you can use it.  

...hilarious Lionhead and Hikari Saki...

I am going to assume you meant Hikari Lionhead.

:lol

Hahahaha autocorrect strikes again!

It was kinda Hikari hilarious :rofl

:teehee

Okey, I am a few weeks on the way with experimenting. So far I know they LOVE zucchini and I can cook that in advance and put it in the freezer, so I have quick veggies on the days that I work. They also love spinach, but that is not very practical because it ends up blocking the entrence of my filters. I bought the frozen stuff, cut, not shredded. Maybe I should buy fresh leaves and then cook them. Green beans are also a hit, it turned out I had to cook them much much longer and then cut them up in little pieces. I tried endive, but I didnt cook it long enough I guess so I will try that again later.

I still have my bucket of duckweed, I give it to them like once a week, so that the rest of the duckweed can grow back. Once a week I refill the water with aquariumwater, but I dont change the water (thats very unpractical with duckweed, it stucks to your hands and stuff...). Today I wondered whether I should change the water... there was also some weird green stuff underneath the duckweed... maybe algae or something?

I still feed pellets once a day or every other day. I would like to try kale, but in Holland thats mostly sold in such little pieces that that would cause the filter-problem again.

Any comments, thoughts or pointers?

Edited by AllieCalhoun

Prepare a new container for your duckweed with fresh used aquarium water.  Shallow with a large surface area is best. Use a fish net to scoop the duckweed out of the old water into the new.  Some kinds of algae will kill duckweed.

You can turn off your filters when you feed greens.  Just don't give the fish more than they will eat right away.