Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

A teaspoon of salt a day keeps the doctor away?

Hi there!

As a newbie one of my greatest concerns is my precious goldfish would get sick. Reading here and there I learned that aquarium salt can be used as a form of treatment for fungus infections. What I read and also saw on Youtube was about giving fish salt dips or baths to help them restore and reinforce their bodies' natural defense. I was wondering, and here goes my question, could I add a teaspoon or two of marine salt to my 20g tank once a month as a prevention measure?I don't have any live plants so I only worry if the salt would mess with the water values or hurt the fish instead of keeping them healthy. Thank you in advance for your answers!;)

M

It won't prevent anything.  Goldfish live in fresh water.  By keeping them in a low concentration of salt on a regular basis, you reduce the effectiveness of salt as a medication.

Oh, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. So what else can I do apart from feeding them quality food and making sure the aquarium water is always clean and fish safe?

Proper stocking (we recommend 20 gallons per fish) and filtration (10X the tank volume) are very important. :)

I'm sure others will add their :twocents:

You will find our guidelines for healthy goldfish here.