Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Fastlane

Testing API Freshwater Testing Kit

18 posts in this topic

Guys!! Today I got my new API freshwater test kit.. And I just recently changed my water.. Around 50%..

Here are some pictures and just do correct me if I'm wrong with the interpretations.. I just don't have the GH and KH.. too bad the test kit only includes 4 elements. 

pH: 6.6

Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

What should I do with my pH? I think it's a bit low..

11935004_1163276970354039_66255611638295

11921713_1163276973687372_47880033404996

11907124_1163276977020705_39316811181156

After water change  :mytank1:   :lol:

11921851_1163277863687283_46000564878088

Edited by Fastlane

I can show you a nitrate test to make sure you did it right as it is the hardest one in there :) most people do not read the instructions right or read the bottle only and not the instruction sheet. I have noticed this, so I recorded a video just to double check to make sure it is being tested correctly.

I do agree that the pH is slightly low. A kH test kit would be great to have so you can see how high your alkalinity is. Your alkalinity determines how stable your pH will be. It should ideally be around 100-150ppm. I have a feeling it will be on the lower side, so baking soda would be used to raise it, which will also raise your pH. However, in order to know how much baking soda to add, we would need to know the level of the kH.

Would you be able to test your tap pH as well so we can see where that is? :)

Edited by Mikey

I can show you a nitrate test to make sure you did it right as it is the hardest one in there :) most people do not read the instructions right or read the bottle only and not the instruction sheet. I have noticed this, so I recorded a video just to double check to make sure it is being tested correctly.

I do agree that the pH is slightly low. A kH test kit would be great to have so you can see how high your alkalinity is. Your alkalinity determines how stable your pH will be. It should ideally be around 100-150ppm. I have a feeling it will be on the lower side, so baking soda would be used to raise it, which will also raise your pH. However, in order to know how much baking soda to add, we would need to know the level of the kH.

Would you be able to test your tap pH as well so we can see where that is? :)

Ya i will try to test the tap water pH. BTW, my water turned hazy white after 30 mins.. Hmmm I'm wondering what's wrong.

Hmmm. Maybe the filters shot out some gunk after you turned them back on? I'm not quite sure.

Hmmm. Maybe the filters shot out some gunk after you turned them back on? I'm not quite sure.

I'm wondering if it's the slimy gunk on the hose of my old CF which causes the cloudiness. Do you think the hazy cloudiness will subside? I'm still observing if it will be clear again later.

Edited by Fastlane

Have you ever tried cleaning the hoses?

Not yet really. Cause i don't have the tool yet.. But i'm planning..

Im thinking to do another WC and shut off my CF.

how long has the tank been running?

how long has the tank been running?

Been running like around 10-11 months or so..  I removed my old CF and observed that the water got clear after removing it. I think that the culprit is the build up of gunk and slime on the hoses.. Here's a picture of the hoses of my CF.

11947474_1163566150325121_75771757195566

11892046_1163566143658455_82772039844856

When you post pictures of water tests, it works best if you stand the card upright and place the tubes beside the color tabs for comparison. 

You can raise your low pH with baking soda.  Just get it up a bit above 7.  For long term, add some crushed coral or crushed oyster shell to the tank or filter.  

In a tank system, crud accumulates mainly in the substrate and the filters.  Coudiness from the substrate should appear immediately,  so look at the filter system.

Here's my water "clarity" last night: With CF still on.

11924205_1163566586991744_87590356387840

Here's this morning:

11885295_1163566590325077_73358176793436

When you post pictures of water tests, it works best if you stand the card upright and place the tubes beside the color tabs for comparison. 

You can raise your low pH with baking soda.  Just get it up a bit above 7.  For long term, add some crushed coral or crushed oyster shell to the tank or filter.  

In a tank system, crud accumulates mainly in the substrate and the filters.  Coudiness from the substrate should appear immediately,  so look at the filter system.

Ya I think it's the Canister filter that was the problem..

thank you for the advise with  baking soda and crushed oyster shell :)

Edited by Fastlane

When My hoses got that bad... I took them off and ran hot water through them and kinda squish the hose to get the bad spots out :)

When My hoses got that bad... I took them off and ran hot water through them and kinda squish the hose to get the bad spots out :)

will try that.. but it's so hard to take the hoses off the shut off valves.. I think I cranked it up so hard  :teehee

Going back with regards to the test kit, can I interchangeably use the tubes?

Going back with regards to the test kit, can I interchangeably use the tubes?

:thumbup2:

Yup just make sure you rinse :)

alright thanks! :D