Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fancyblackgold

Big Spawn!

So my GF, who is as goldfish crazy as me, breed two of her red butterfly tail telescopes and had a pretty big spawn! We spend 2½-3 hours this Saturday cleaning the tank and counting just how many fry there is.

This is the result:

20150822_131340.jpg

And there was about 20-30 more in the tank that we didn't get out.

So how many fry do you think there is? :)

A whole lot! Good luck with these babies!

Over 100!

Ok so it took me a second to realize when you typed GF you meant girlfriend and not goldfish. At first I was like, "Your goldfish is as goldfish crazy as you are? What??"  :hmm  Then I was like, "OH!! Duh! He meant GIRLFRIEND!!" 

Yeah. So. Anyway, there are A LOT of fry in there! 

A whole lot!!!!!!!!

That's a lot of fish! With fry, do you try counting them while they move around, or do you take a photo & count them from that?

That's a lot of fish! With fry, do you try counting them while they move around, or do you take a photo & count them from that?

Oh no that would be to easy. I siphoned fry filled water over into a bowl. Then we sat with a spoon each and scooped them over into this container and in the process counting them. We did 10-15 bowls. We didn't get all of them as we ran out of time!

But we counted 513 fry in the container! And I guessed that there were about 30 left in the tank, so let's just say a round 550 fry! They are a week old and we didn't do any culling at this point. This is our first spawn, so we are gathering information on the process and trying to raise as many as possible. But when they are a bit bigger, we will cull!

Ok so it took me a second to realize when you typed GF you meant girlfriend and not goldfish. At first I was like, "Your goldfish is as goldfish crazy as you are? What??"  :hmm  Then I was like, "OH!! Duh! He meant GIRLFRIEND!!" 

Yeah. So. Anyway, there are A LOT of fry in there! 

Haha :D But even my goldfish are goldfish crayz - they be like: Yo nomnom-god - when's the new fish here? :)

WOW Thats a ton of fry! Ihad about 300 with my first spawn and I thought that was a lot :rofl

Over 500?! :yikes  That's amazing! I applaud your patience in gathering and counting so many teeny tiny babies.

:Dont-Believe: Five hundred and fif :thud  

My goodness are you two going to be busy...   :newfish  :newfish  :newfish  :newfish   :newfish  etc!

Holy cow...or should I say fish!!! 

Applauding you now as I have a feeling you are going to be exhausted in a few weeks.  What type of set up are you going to be using for rearing?

even if you do a 80% cull rate...that is STILL over a 100 GF!!!!

Edited by jenste

Holy cow...or should I say fish!!! 

Applauding you now as I have a feeling you are going to be exhausted in a few weeks.  What type of set up are you going to be using for rearing?

even if you do a 80% cull rate...that is STILL over a 100 GF!!!!

They are being raised in a 325l / 85 gallon tank with a small cannister filter (800l pr hour) with weekly water changes. We got brineshrimp and liquid brineshrimp going as well as dried artemia (brineshrimp). Later we got gel food and crushed pellets.

We are going to keep 1-3 fish at most. We are hoping to sell a few to a few stores that keep different sorts of fancies - as well as privat owners. So if we get 25-30 to be "big", that is the number we are looking for, but we are going to be very "easy" with the first few culls, just to get the hang of it. But it does get tougher as they get bigger!

can we see some parents photos ?

So the fry is now 1 month old and are enjoying their first batch of gel food :) We lost about 50 so far and are treating them for flukes, which decreased the amount lost per day greatly.

A few pictures please! :thumbup2:

Keep in mind the changes in feeding and waterquality should be kept in check with heavy WC's. Is the flukes treatment a precaution or do you have fluke problems?

This is our roughly 400 spawns in their holding tank. They are enjoying some deshelled artimia here20150906_123022.jpg

A bit closer:

20150906_123026.jpg

And as close as I could get:

20150906_123032.jpg

Did you have time to cull yet? The fist time you cull i would focus on crooked spines, single tails and underdeveloped fry(runts). These are easy to recognize and will help the good ones to proceed in better water quality and more food. I allways keep feeding the same amount after i cull. I usually cull about a third to a half of the fry.

Maybe culling is the only downside to breeding GF, but it is key to breeding healthy and beautyfull fish.

No cull at this point. But we will have to cull soon. We don't really mind, but are giving every single fry that can stay alive to have a chance to impress :)

So an update here (with PHOTOS!). We had a few die off, but mainly the smaller ones after a big WC. There a few big tykes in the mix that is really BIG compared to the others.

But on the pictures:

P1070293.JPG

P1070292.JPG

P1070276.JPG

P1070267.JPG

P1070252.JPG

P1070250.JPG

Fun to see them grow!

So they are now over 2 months old and we are down to about 50. We have culled quite a few and we lost 10-15 to filters. Somehow they got inside the internal filters we added, it was not pretty.

Several of them had a bubble on their chin - anyone know what that could be? A few has like a white fuss on their head, which we can't figure out what is.

This is very much our first spawn and we have realised just how much work they are if you really want them to grow fast. We didn't feed them enough and we didn't change the water enough, which means they are a bit behind on growth. We pumped up the feeding and doing WC twice a week, so lets hope that helps!

A few pictures :)

P1070976.JPG

P1070965.JPG

P1070934.JPG

P1070929.JPG

P1070904.JPG

P1070895.JPG

They are so cute!!! Good work!