Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
fishy

ro system or sump better?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have an opportunity to get a professional ro unit installed in my home and I was wondering what I should be looking for as far as filtration needs? I don't know much about it other than it can be set for 0 TDS, it will hold 30 gallons of ro water and it could be set up to the water softener. We have well water & when I did half well & half city (softened) water my large fantail would always get a sore on her belly so I went back to city water and she's been fine. Would a ro unit be a good idea or would a really good sump filtration unit be better? I have a saltwater tank with a multi filtration sump system (sock filter, live rock,protein skimmer & maybe something else) & I was thinking that a similar set up may work well for the goldfish is too or maybe ro & sump? I lug 45-60 gallons of water from work every week so if I can minimize that it would be great. Thanks for any input : )

When we were putting RO in, I was advised that goldies actually "prefer" or do better in, hard water.  Here we were just putting in a fixture at the kitchen sink, so I'm still able to get normal (soft, but not RO) water for my water changes.  My husband has a salt water tank, so the RO was for him, but I was planning to use it too if I hadn't been told otherwise.

On the filtration, I'm planning on setting up a wet/dry sump myself - just HOB overflow because it's what I've got, and my tank's not drilled.  My husband tells me a protein skimmer wouldn't work in freshwater, but I don't know the reason.  I like the idea of additional water in the system, and I'm wanting to try an algae scrub in it. :)

I have spent a lot of my life working with RO systems and I have a marine and freshwater tank. There is absolutely no need to use RO water within a freshwater aquarium as the RO water at a low TDS can be aggresive as water wants to be impure, so will absorb dissolved solids from around it. I also wonder whether using the purifed water removes dKH and GH. Upping the chances of a PH swing?

I would totally suggest having a sump for your tank. The reason why marine aquariums have a sump is marine fish get the best of the best treatment. My goldfish, I used to keep my Nitrate as low as I could. With my marine tank I have chaeto in my sump to absorb the Nitrate, I then have two types of phospate removers, I also run a skimmer and carbon. Therefore I filter my water far beyond the average goldfish keeper. 

With regards to the protein skimmer, it would not work in freshwater as salt water is far more dense, so therfore with freshwater it would be harder to create microbubbles in the water as the water is less dense so larger bubbles form which won't collect the protein and build a foam or skimmate on the waters surface.

Edited by colley614

I have spent a lot of my life working with RO systems and I have a marine and freshwater tank. There is absolutely no need to use RO water within a freshwater aquarium as the RO water at a low TDS can be aggresive as water wants to be impure, so will absorb dissolved solids from around it. I also wonder whether using the purifed water removes dKH and GH. Upping the chances of a PH swing?

I would totally suggest having a sump for your tank. The reason why marine aquariums have a sump is marine fish get the best of the best treatment. My goldfish, I used to keep my Nitrate as low as I could. With my marine tank I have chaeto in my sump to absorb the Nitrate, I then have two types of phospate removers, I also run a skimmer and carbon. Therefore I filter my water far beyond the average goldfish keeper. 

With regards to the protein skimmer, it would not work in freshwater as salt water is far more dense, so therfore with freshwater it would be harder to create microbubbles in the water as the water is less dense so larger bubbles form which won't collect the protein and build a foam or skimmate on the waters surface.

Thanks for this!  So if we want the best of the best for our goldfish - is there a freshwater version of chaeto?  And I always hear the praises of the filter sock - could I incorporate that into my system?

I use filter socks and yes they can be used on our goldies. As for a freshwater chaeto. I would say that you could use aquarium plants that absorb nitrates. Have a look in the pond section at bog filters. I'm sure that this would give you an idea.

Thank you everyone, very informative information : ) I think I will try the sump and wet/dry filter for the goldfish and not the ro. I may do the ro for the saltwater for when it is I am able to maintain it myself (which will be a while). Thanks again : )

I'd love a wet/dry filter with overflow if space allowed. I'd say go for it.

The RO water isn't necessary for goldfish, they like the harder water. If you were keeping something like non neocaridina shrimp that require low TDS it would be useful.