Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lindseyfiish

55 gallon drum, and aging water

Anyone know of any good deals on 55 gallon drums and drum dolly. Looking to buy 2! Or any other suggestions for good containers for aging water. Am currently using plastic Rubbermaid containers... Need something more mobile and sturdy.

I have low ph - less than 6. I keep buying tanks... And I need more large containers for water storage. I have turned into a water hoarder.

Also, what's your favorite way to raise ph. I'm using crushed coral - but as you may know it is not instant. I thought about baking soda, but I am concerned about build up over time in the water. Any experience with api proper ph? I tend to shy away from products and use something more natural - but just trying to make my life easier! Wondering if anyone else has a good system!

​Baking soda is my favorite way to raise pH. It's pretty instant and very cheap. The buildup in water issue can be remedied by 100% WCs once every 1-2 months. If there's no other reason for you to age water other than the pH, then you likely don't have to age water any more after that.

Edited by ChelseaM

Lindsey, will you please give us a location?  We can't  advise you on where to buy something when we don't even know what country you live in, let alone what area of that country.

I will assume you are in the US, and tell you to go to craigslist.  If I search 55 gallon plastic drum, I get this. http://orlando.craigslist.org/search/sss?excats=145-1&sort=rel&query=55+gallon+plastic+drum

I doubt you can find an inexpensive drum dolly.  Rather than moving the drum, get a cheap pond pump and some hose, and pump the water from the drum to the tank.

Yes in the us. Northern Virginia.

Just worried to get a used drum if something yucky was stored in it before.

I do have a pond pump I'm using now for water changes... But I would need loads of hose as I hope to store the water out of sight in another room :)

​Baking soda is my favorite way to raise pH. It's pretty instant and very cheap. The buildup in water issue can be remedied by 100% WCs once every 1-2 months. If there's no other reason for you to age water other than the pH, then you likely don't have to age water any more after that.

Does baking soda build up in substrate? I have a planted tank...

I also find it very difficult to get literally 100% of the water out of the tank... I probably get down to between 80 and 90 % ... I'm just worried if I don't get that little bit out Ill eventually have a problem.

You don't age your water at all? Just add baking soda while your changing water? It works that fast? Do you usually take your fish out for every water change?

I do not age the water, and I do not take my fish out for every water change. I just do my WCs and add the baking soda while filling. It works just fine. I generally do 90% WCs weekly when my fish are indoors.

I personally only run bare bottom setups, so I don't have an answer regarding if it would build up in the substrate or not. I know people here who use it and have substrate, and haven't had a problem, though.

However, each way of doing things is different based on your water parameters, including your GH and KH. So I would go ahead and test your tap's Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, GH, and KH and report them here if you can.

Edited by ChelseaM

Thanks.  Please put your state in your profile.

Everyone from whom I have bought a drum could tell me what had been in it.  I think this tubing could reach  to any room unless you have a very large house.  I know the pump in the link above has a fitting that works with this hose.