Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
QandD

Double-dosed macros

So, I was sleepy this morning and the girls were due for a micro dose, since they'd gotten an 85% water change yesterday with 3 pumps of pre-mixed E.I. macros and all the other additives (baking soda, gH, Prime, etc). Instead, I put in the macros again.  :wall  I did a 60% WC immediately after and only replaced baking soda, etc (in proper ratios), and I think I will wait to dose micros tomorrow. But I wanted to make sure that I haven't hurt them. I feel like an idiot. This happened about an hour ago and I've just finished the WC, so it's too early to tell how they are feeling. 

Prior to the WC their parameters were quite good (I have a fragile BB colony): ammonia was trace (0-.25 ppm), nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 0-5 ppm. 

Anyway, I just wanted to check if there is something else I should be doing, apart from not tending to the fish when I am half asleep and making sure to read the bottles EVERY TIME.

How are they doing?

If they aren't immediately gasping or whirling they're fine, you did just the right thing. We all make idiotic boo boos, sometimes frequently. You noticed quickly and that is more than some of us can say :D

How are they doing?

Thanks for asking! I just got home and they seem OK, though Duchess is a little subdued. However, I started a maintenance round of Prazi yesterday, so I think that might be the reason why she's a tiny bit more relaxed than usual. It's been a few months (about 4 or so) since I dosed her, and I figured that since she may have been compromised by all the water quality issues and parasites, it couldn't hurt to do a couple without salt.

I think your fish are going to be fine. The pre-mixed macros include nitrates and phosphates. The target for nitrates in the EI method is around 5-30ppm, for phosphates it is 1-2ppm. According to Tom Barr (plant guru), this level of nitrates and phosphates is good for the plants. I usually just target 10-15ppm for nitrates.  I don't want too much higher for my goldfish. If you make a mistake like this in the future, you can do a test on nitrates or phosphates (if you have the test for phosphates). If the numbers are too high, you can do a water change. How come I know you can do this? Because I've made this mistake a couple of times. :)

Edited by LisaCGold

I think your fish are going to be fine. The pre-mixed macros include nitrates and phosphates. The target for nitrates in the EI method is around 5-30ppm, for phosphates it is 1-2ppm. According to Tom Barr (plant guru), this level of nitrates and phosphates is good for the plants. I usually just target 10-15ppm for nitrates. I don't want too much higher for my goldfish. If you make a mistake like this in the future, you can do a test on nitrates or phosphates (if you have the test for phosphates). If the numbers are too high, you can do a water change. How come I know you can do this? Because I've made this mistake a couple of times. :)

Great to know! I did purchase a phosphate test after getting the premixed E.I. ferts, so I will check from here out... but hopefully I just won't make the ssme mistake again!