Kokos Goldfish Forum
sad_panda1890

need help with clearing the water

Thanks for the pics.  I'm going to tell you how to put the picture in your post.  Go to the picture you want to post.  On the right of the picture are four boxes.  The bottom one is labeled IMG.  Click on the box, and you will see "Copied" appear briefly.  Then  click on the post where you want to put the picture.  Hit control v.  The picture link will appear in your post.  If you post or hit "preview post," the picture will appear.  Try it.

Would you please test your tap water for ammonia and nitrite, and if you have some bottled water, test that too?  Some people have trouble reading the ammonia test.

Looking at your tank, I see a little cloudiness, and a little green tint.  I really wanted to see the shade of green in your water to see if the green-water algae were "starving" your filter bacteria.  Good news -- that is not the case.  But I have bad news.  You have too many fish in that tank.  The large fish may only be about 2 inches, but they are all fat-bodied fancy goldfish (and very pretty ones), which means they are as big as a common goldfish that is 4 inches.  You really need to consider getting another tank or substantially increasing your water changes.  Could you consider a small patio pond?  You are too far north to keep your fish outdoors through the winter, but you have a few months before things freeze up.

I'll say more in a bit.

How many fish are in this tank? Could you take a pic of your AC110 from the back so we can see your media set up and how much of each different type of media you have (sponge vs carbon vs ceramic media)? :)

Thanks for the pics.  I'm going to tell you how to put the picture in your post.  Go to the picture you want to post.  On the right of the picture are four boxes.  The bottom one is labeled IMG.  Click on the box, and you will see "Copied" appear briefly.  Then  click on the post where you want to put the picture.  Hit control v.  The picture link will appear in your post.  If you post or hit "preview post," the picture will appear.  Try it.

Would you please test your tap water for ammonia and nitrite, and if you have some bottled water, test that too?  Some people have trouble reading the ammonia test.

Looking at your tank, I see a little cloudiness, and a little green tint.  I really wanted to see the shade of green in your water to see if the green-water algae were "starving" your filter bacteria.  Good news -- that is not the case.  But I have bad news.  You have too many fish in that tank.  The large fish may only be about 2 inches, but they are all fat-bodied fancy goldfish (and very pretty ones), which means they are as big as a common goldfish that is 4 inches.  You really need to consider getting another tank or substantially increasing your water changes.  Could you consider a small patio pond?  You are too far north to keep your fish outdoors through the winter, but you have a few months before things freeze up.

I'll say more in a bit.

yeah i know I am trying to them. My sis dont want them at home and I am trying to find another alternative. I been doing more water changes. I am doing 30- 40% every other day . I  feel for the fish but I can't do anything right now.

Edited by sad_panda1890

How many fish are in this tank? Could you take a pic of your AC110 from the back so we can see your media set up and how much of each different type of media you have (sponge vs carbon vs ceramic media)? :)

It is set-up like what the box say to so the ceramic on top and then the carbon then the sponge. I am considering to have anohter ceramic or carbon in there

Edited by sad_panda1890

Sorry that I had to stop in the middle.  My son came over and had a lot to talk about.

I believe the deep sand may cause some cloudiness in the water.  I recommend you reduce the depth of the sand to about 1/2 inch.  That's not enough to grow plants in.  You can put your plants in individual pots of sand, or in a larger "planter."  However you must cover the sand in the plant containers with flat stones to keep the goldfish from digging it all out .

Slimy tank sides are not bad, and if you can get some nice green algae to grow on the sides of your tank that would be good for the health of the tank and could help clear the water.  

Have you tried testing the tap water yet?

Lisa, she has eleven fish in the tank.

I would definitely replace the carbon with more ceramic media. I have 2 AC 110s on my 75 with 5 goldfish. I use more than twice the amount of ceramic media that comes with the filter. I also add one layer of filter floss. I think I remember reading that you rinse your ceramic media every couple of weeks? If so, I'd do it less often. Give the BB time to establish.

I would definitely replace the carbon with more ceramic media. I have 2 AC 110s on my 75 with 5 goldfish. I use more than twice the amount of ceramic media that comes with the filter. I also add one layer of filter floss. I think I remember reading that you rinse your ceramic media every couple of weeks? If so, I'd do it less often. Give the BB time to establish.

I will try that. I think a bit of my problem is that I got family that dont understand i need to maintain the water changes. they complain about the water looking like that and too many water changes. well she did keep 2 4-5 in koi and 7 3-4 in fantail in a 55 gallon for years so yea

Sorry that I had to stop in the middle.  My son came over and had a lot to talk about.

I believe the deep sand may cause some cloudiness in the water.  I recommend you reduce the depth of the sand to about 1/2 inch.  That's not enough to grow plants in.  You can put your plants in individual pots of sand, or in a larger "planter."  However you must cover the sand in the plant containers with flat stones to keep the goldfish from digging it all out .

Slimy tank sides are not bad, and if you can get some nice green algae to grow on the sides of your tank that would be good for the health of the tank and could help clear the water.  

Have you tried testing the tap water yet?

Lisa, she has eleven fish in the tank.

I have tested the water and it is the same to the amount in the tank.