Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sad_panda1890

need help with clearing the water

I have a 75 gallons tank i can't seem to keep the water clear. I used to keep a 10 gallon tank with more then plenty, it remain clear for a longer period but i didn't have a lot of decorations in it. The water changes are done regularly, all the fishes are healthy and happy.  I have a hang on back filter that can handle a 100 gallon. I change 90 percent water change yesterday but it is cloudy already. The only difference that I can see is that this one is exposure to more sunlight than the other one. I want to know why? 

Is the filter cycled?

What kind of substrate do you use?

How many fish/size of fish?

The filter been cycle for a couple of months. I also have a sponge filter, both are cycled. I have black sand and i have 11 fish. it is a bit much but they are only about 2 inches each right now.

I have a 75 gallons tank i can't seem to keep the water clear. I used to keep a 10 gallon tank with more then plenty, it remain clear for a longer period but i didn't have a lot of decorations in it. The water changes are done regularly, all the fishes are healthy and happy.  I have a hang on back filter that can handle a 100 gallon. I change 90 percent water change yesterday but it is cloudy already. The only difference that I can see is that this one is exposure to more sunlight than the other one. I want to know why? 

Welcome to Kokos!  To help us distinguish between the many reasons your water might be cloudy, please answer these questions.

How long has this nice big tank been running?

Please give the details on your HOB filter -- make and model.  

I see you have black sand for a substrate.   How deep is it?  How often do you vacuum?

Is the cloudiness white or is the water green?

How frequent are your regular water changes and how much water do you change each time?

How often do you clean your filter?  Describe your cleaning procedure.

What  do you feed your fish?  How often?  How much?

I know you realize you have too many fish for the tank.  That tank is large enough for 4 goldfish.  You have a few months before your fish get to a size that presents a problem,  but it will happen.

What do you have for decorations?  Are any of them hollow?  A picture of the tank would be great.

Do you have a kit for testing water parameters?  If so what do you get for:

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

pH

Thanks for answering all these questions!

Welcome to Kokos!  To help us distinguish between the many reasons your water might be cloudy, please answer these questions.

How long has this nice big tank been running?

it has been running for about two and a half months now. The  HOB filter been that long and the sponge filter is about one month.

Please give the details on your HOB filter -- make and model.  

The AquaClear 110 Power Filter

I see you have black sand for a substrate.   How deep is it?  How often do you vacuum?

It is about 1 to 1.5 inch deep. 50 lbs of sand for the tank. I do it every two weeks.

Is the cloudiness white or is the water green?

The water is green it look like pond water but not as deep as that.

How frequent are your regular water changes and how much water do you change each time?

I do about 20% every 2-3 days

How often do you clean your filter?  Describe your cleaning procedure.

I rinse the ceramic media once every two week. the carbon and sponge every month alternative not at the same time and replace the sponge once.

What  do you feed your fish?  How often?  How much?

I feed them twice one time gelfood a cube that is about 1 cm cubed, then some pellets at night it is about what 11 of them in about 5 minutes.

I know you realize you have too many fish for the tank.  That tank is large enough for 4 goldfish.  You have a few months before your fish get to a size that presents a problem,  but it will happen.

Yeah i realize that, I had a ten gallon tank  with 6 of the original one that move to the 75 gallons so  I do understand that. They were in there for 2 month and i didn't have too much problem with the water being this green and it remain clear.

What do you have for decorations?  Are any of them hollow?  A picture of the tank would be great.

i have plants and nothing else but the sponge filter

Do you have a kit for testing water parameters?  If so what do you get for:

Ammonia- 0ppm- .25ppm

Nitrite- 0ppm- .25ppm

Nitrate- 0ppm

pH- 7.2- 7.6

Thanks for answering all these questions!

Thank you so much for all the answers.  If you haven't read our guidelines yet, please do.  

Let's start by looking at filtration.  Something must be a little off here, since you have cloudy water and a little ammonia and nitrite in your water.  We recommend your HOB filter turns over 10 times the aquarium volume per hour.  The AC 110 turns over 500 gph, which makes it perfect for a 50 gallon tank.  You have added filtration with the sponge filter, so I think this is adequate.  

I believe in emptying and rinsing a HOB filter with every water change -- no scrubbing required at all.  I pull out the uptake tube (to keep dirty water from siphoning back into the tank) pull the plug and dump the water from the filter.  I rinse the biomedia in water removed from the tank.  The sponge is primarily for mechanical filtration, so wash it more vigorously.  Slap as much crud out of it as you can.  You don't need fish and plant waste rotting in your filter.  Then put it back together.  The whole cleaning might take 5 minutes.

Here's some good news for you.  If you check the members here, you will find that nearly all replace their sponges only when they start to disintegrate from age, which takes a few years.  I don't know how filter makers justify their advice to change filter media, but we all know their reason for that advice.  I've never disposed of any ceramic media.  I'll guess it lasts at least 10 years.

I also recommend That you vacuum gravel with every water change.  The dirtiest water in your tank system is on the bottom of the tank and in the filter, so you should remove that water with every water change.

I will continue shortly ..

Hope your water clears up soon!!!!!!

Substrate collects debris which can cloud the water and feed green-water algae.  

We generally like sand as a substrate, however we recommend not more than about 1/2 inch of substrate, to avoid anaerobic conditions in the sand.  Do you have a lot of plants and are you planting them in the sand?  The problem with planting a goldfish tank is that the fish like to eat plants, and enjoy uprooting plants even more.  Planted tanks look lovely, but they are a challenge to maintain.

I think you might want to reduce the amount you feed your fish.  Fish food is the major source of waste in the tank, including the food that goes through the fish.  The size of the gel food seems appropriate, however gel food breaks down readily as the fish tear into it and does tend you make the water cloudy.  Pellets provide a lot of food in a small package, so I usually recommend a "mouthful."  When you feed pellets to goldfish, they will keeping grabbing until their mouths won't hold any more and then settle down to chew.  That's a good time to stop feeding.  As soon as they swallow, they will be ready to fill their mouths again.  Five minutes is enough to swallow way too much food.  

I suspect excess food causes much of your cloudy water, and also overwhelms your filters enough to leave a bit of ammonia and nitrite not oxidized.   Do you have any idea why you don't get any nitrate?

Your water change schedule removes contaminants about as well as 50% once a week, which should be adequate.

I feel like the sunlight have a lot to do with the greening of the water too

My fish are all in ponds.  (I set up an aquarium once in a while.)  They all get at least some full subtropical sun.  The water is not green -- not even a little bit.  It has a little yellow tinge from the endless shower of live oak leaves we have here.  I can remove a bucket of of water from a pond and let it set for a few days, and it will turn green.  I can pour that bucket of green water into a small pond and it will turn green.  By the next day the green is all gone.  If I set up a pond with no filtration, just water changes, (good for growing fry) it will turn green.  Resume filtration, and it will clear.

The only relationship between light and green water is that if you create complete darkness, the green-water algae will not grow.  It needs  very little light to grow.  The relationship between filtration and green water is competition.  Algae require ammonia.  Ammonia-oxidizing bacteria in filters require ammonia.  A healthy, well-established filter usually has enough ammonia oxidizers to starve out the green-water algae to the point that you can't see any green at all.  

Allelopathy -- when an organism produces chemicals that affect the growth of other organisms -- probably also affects whether or not one gets green water.  Chemicals produced by competitors, -- in this case either bacteria in the filter,  algae that grow on surfaces, or aquatic plants growing in the system -- produce chemicals that inhibit growth of the floating algae that turn water green.

Your situation seems strange.  You have both green water and filters running, but still have some ammonia and nitrite and no nitrate.  A picture would help to show the intensity of the green color.  

I suggest you start by reducing the amount of pellets you feed, and cleaning the filters and the substrate with each water change.  Actually the water you remove from the filter and by vacuuming the bottom is part of the water change.  Let's see if this eliminates the ammonia and nitrite.

My opinion... The additional sunlight is allowing the algae to thrive. The ammonia etc is low but present because the algae is consuming it, which also happens to be causing the bacteria that perform the cycle to be slow to establish. Use construction paper on the side or back to block some light.

Edited by DieselPlower

You can upload pictures using a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com.  :D

My opinion... The additional sunlight is allowing the algae to thrive. The ammonia etc is low but present because the algae is consuming it, which also happens to be causing the bacteria that perform the cycle to be slow to establish. Use construction paper on the side or back to block some light.

I am not sure where to put the construction paper two side of the tank are walls

If you want to attempt to eliminate green water by cutting out light, cover your entire tank with opaque fabric, removing it only briefly when you add food.  A number of people have claimed to have eliminated green water by keeping the tank in total darkness for a week.  

Jason, I don't understand how both algae and bacteria consuming ammonia would cause ammonia to be greater than zero.  In my experience, as well as that reported by others, green water typically reads ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all zero.

If you want to attempt to eliminate green water by cutting out light, cover your entire tank with opaque fabric, removing it only briefly when you add food.  A number of people have claimed to have eliminated green water by keeping the tank in total darkness for a week.  

Jason, I don't understand how both algae and bacteria consuming ammonia would cause ammonia to be greater than zero.  In my experience, as well as that reported by others, green water typically reads ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all zero.

This may sound "short" but I don't mean it to. The OP says she has green water and a filter cycled for a couple months, and also that ammonia and nitrite test at .25. It seems neither the algae or the bacteria have developed into a strong enough population to control the ammonia. Normally after 2 months the bacteria should be able to keep ammonia down on their own. Still now, they can't. Why? I really have no idea.

Has anyone suggested adding air to this tank? It seems to be a successful way to allow the bacteria to overcome the algae

Air might be a good idea.  

Please observe also that she has no nitrate in spite of the fact that that  she is feeding heavily.  Two possible explanations come to mind.  One is that the algae are dominating.  They use the ammonia for their own protein synthesis, among other things, so they don't release nitrate.  

The other is that she has active denitrification going on in the anaerobic levels of the sand.  Denitrifying bacteria prefer the borderline between aerobic anaerobic conditions.

No, you don't sound "short" at all, you sound like you are giving this some serious thought.

I'd sure like to see the color of the water.

We can't see the pictures you linked :( Try uploading them to a site like photobucket instead

One thing I might suggest is to get rid of the carbon in your filter and replace it with another bag of ceramic rings. That'll give you bio filtration a nice boost. Maybe enough to clear up your ammonia problem.

Also, I don't think I saw how long you're keeping your tank lights on for. Maybe cutting back a few hours?

If all else fails, maybe look into a uv sterilizer?

Edited by Phil B.

More biomedia always helps.  Since the OP believes that light creates green water,  I would expect she doesn't light the tank.

Definitely no UV "sterilizer" until the tank is fully cycled.  While nitrifiers settle down and live in a biofilm on a surface, when they divide,  often one daughter cell goes off to "look for" a new place to settle.  Because of this, you can put a new filter in a tank with the old one and it will cycle in a week or two. 

Sad Panda, we can't determine the cause of your green water without more information.  

Why do you have 1- 1.5 inches of sand in the bottom of your tank and are you willing to reduce this to 1/2 inch?  

Do you have a lot of plants in the tanks and are they growing well?

Have you increased the frequency of your filter cleaning and substrate vacuuming?

What are your current water parameters (before a water change)?

We really need a picture of your tank.    A photobucket account costs nothing.  Opening an account and uploading your pictures takes only a few minutes.  Once you've done that, putting a picture in a post takes a few seconds.

I would appreciate it if people hold off on further advice (except on posting pictures) until we have this information.  

I'm glad you made a thread, Panda. :) You're in good hands with Sharon's (Shakaho's) help. She's really quite good at this.

More biomedia always helps.  Since the OP believes that light creates green water,  I would expect she doesn't light the tank.

Definitely no UV "sterilizer" until the tank is fully cycled.  While nitrifiers settle down and live in a biofilm on a surface, when they divide,  often one daughter cell goes off to "look for" a new place to settle.  Because of this, you can put a new filter in a tank with the old one and it will cycle in a week or two. 

Sad Panda, we can't determine the cause of your green water without more information.  

Why do you have 1- 1.5 inches of sand in the bottom of your tank and are you willing to reduce this to 1/2 inch?  

I dont mind i would like my babies to be nice and healthy and happy. I would even get rid of it

Do you have a lot of plants in the tanks and are they growing well?

i have quite a bit. they been in there for about 3 weeks they are remain healthy and well.

Have you increased the frequency of your filter cleaning and substrate vacuuming?

yea i have. i am rinsing all the sand out I am working on it

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/sscandee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpg.html?o=1

What are your current water parameters (before a water change)?

it remain the same like what i gave before

ph- 7.6

amonia .25

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

We really need a picture of your tank.    A photobucket account costs nothing.  Opening an account and uploading your pictures takes only a few minutes.  Once you've done that, putting a picture in a post takes a few seconds.

I would appreciate it if people hold off on further advice (except on posting pictures) until we have this information.  

I am trying everything