Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
yogosans14

Python or Aqueon Water changer?

24 posts in this topic

I've only ever used a Python but I love it!

As far as adapters, it depends what your faucet looks like.  :idont  If you post a pic of your faucet we might be able to tell.  :photo:

I have only used a Python as well and I love it

I think they're comparable.  I've read pros and cons for both.  I have the Aqueon and it works well.  If you get the Aqueon, I recommend that you buy a metal faucet adapter as the plastic one(included) is crap.  I got mine at Home Depot.  

Edited by Jared

I went back & forth a bit, then got the Python, since it seemed that folks liked the sturdiness of the connectors better. I must say, it's been working great! :) I think it's got all the parts for connecting to a sink, but I'm just using the spigot outside my back door.

I have a python. Either will work fine.

I have a python and have had nothing but success with it for the past 5 years - I would definitely recommend it. 

I dont use either.

Ive got some clear vinyl hose you can buy at a hardware store off the roll.

One end i stick where i want the water to drain (garden, drain, lawn etc) and the other end i fit an irrigation tap. I then fit another bit of hose on the other side of usable length.

I fill the hose from the tap and then close the irrigation tap.

Now aslong as the end of the hose is lower than my tank im ready.

I stick the hose end in and open the tap.

Only ever need to fill it once. Its always ready to syphon aslong as the irrigation tap is kept closed.

I don't need to worry about stale water etc in the hose because i use it almost every day.

I use a 19mm hose (3/4") so draining is quick

I have the Python water Changer and found it to be a bit more than the Aqueon.

But I did read Jared mention the Aqueon has a cheap plastic adaptor, so maybe that's where the price difference is coming from.

At the end of the day, I am quite happy with it.

I have a Python as well and couldn't be happier with it.

I have used both and prefer the python. The Aqueon broke after less than a month and like Jared said, the sink adapter is crap on that one. My python has taken a beating the past couple years, and is still kicking.

I used the Aqueon until it broke after a year--the plastic fitting to the faucet.  And I found the tubing not very flexible.  I couldn't get a Python locally, so I got a Lee.  I've have the Lee now for about 5 years and it is more flexible with a sturdier plastic.

All you have to do is run very hot water through the tube for a minute or two.  This will make the tube very flexible :)

Edited by Jared

Very unimpressed with Aqueon.

Very unimpressed with Aqueon.

:bingo:

I love my Python. I bought a metal adapter so it can go on my kitchen sink but it attaches to my outside tap without the adapter :) I get quite rough with it at times but it's lasted me quite a while and only had to replace a part once

I love my Python. I bought a metal adapter so it can go on my kitchen sink but it attaches to my outside tap without the adapter :) I get quite rough with it at times but it's lasted me quite a while and only had to replace a part once

I have had my Python now for about 8 years now, the same one and the only thing it has as a problem is at the flipper that can shut the water on and off at the tank, it leaks alittle but I just put that all the away in the tank....

I can say Pythons are worth there money :thumbs:

If you cant make your own, buy the python. I love it.

Could I have a picture of that one Blackmoors? :goldfish:

Its freezing and wet outside. Lol.

so hope this works.

so. One of these taps. Used to control flow and shut off and hold the syphon/pull of water for use.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-19mm-poly-inline-barbed-tap_p3129110

And some of this.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-19mm-x-5m-clear-vinyl-tubing_p3130573

I cut a short piece around 1 - 1.5m long then fit either side of the tap.

Place the end of longer hose into an outside drain/ or garden (lower than tank).

I then use the shorter end in the tank im syphoning.

To start the syphon i put the short end onto a tap and fill with water, until its flowing freely out the end. I then shut the irregation tap off in middle of hose.

Shut garden tap off.

Now move the hose to a tank place it into the water.

When you're ready open the tap and tge syphoning begins.

(Beware of your fish or gravel/sand).

This setup can be done with smaller hose diameter (13mm or 16mm etc or larger 25mm etc)and can be of what required length you need.

I bought a 25m roll of hose and just cut to my required lengths.

Also hose joiners can be used to lengthen the hose if needed.

Obviously there are cheaper prices around. So shop around.

I also have a sponge/mesh end cover i can fit over the end to avoid accidentally syphoning something up you dont wish too...

I'm kinda shy to ask but I will. What is a "good" price for these? I'm looking for a 50 foot (about 30 feet to the sink straight line, 50 feet will be more than enough with slack). $1 and a few cents a foot good price (amazon)? Seems really pricey for mostly tubing...

I'm kinda shy to ask but I will. What is a "good" price for these? I'm looking for a 50 foot (about 30 feet to the sink straight line, 50 feet will be more than enough with slack). $1 and a few cents a foot good price (amazon)? Seems really pricey for mostly tubing...

I just bought some tubing yesterday. I always buy my tubing in a 50 foot roll from Menards for $18.69 plus tax.

Which in your opinion is better?And would I need to get a special part for my sink to be able to use it?I hate using buckets for WCs!Lol

You can also do water changes this way that Mikey wrote about, It has been a blessing since I switched from buckets to a pond fountain pump and tubing!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113508-easy-water-change/