Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fastlane

Cloudy water after a water change

Hi guys, just wanna ask if how much time does it take for your aquarium water to settle down or for cloudiness to subside after a water change? Can you include tank size, partial or full water change?. Thank you!!

Tank Size: 127 gallons

Amount Changed: 90% every 5 to 7 days

Duration to Clear: 1/2 hour

There are a lot more factors to a clear tank than that, though. Filtration, Substrate, maintenance practices, Additives used, Stocking levels, feeding practices and type of food, water quality and parameters, where the water comes from, and how the tank is filled are some of the factors that can cause or remedy cloudy water. I feel that it is important to note these things just in case someone's looking for help with cloudy water. For example: My tank would clear immediately after a WC, but I add Koi Clay every WC to keep my water crystal clear. It takes 1/2 hour to move through my tank's system and collect the floating particulates. After that, the water is as clear as air until the next WC. But if I didn't explain that, what would people believe the cause of my cloudy water is?

Tank Size: 127 gallons

Amount Changed: 90% every 5 to 7 days

Duration to Clear: 1/2 hour

There are a lot more factors to a clear tank than that, though. Filtration, Substrate, maintenance practices, Additives used, Stocking levels, feeding practices and type of food, water quality and parameters, where the water comes from, and how the tank is filled are some of the factors that can cause or remedy cloudy water. I feel that it is important to note these things just in case someone's looking for help with cloudy water. For example: My tank would clear immediately after a WC, but I add Koi Clay every WC to keep my water crystal clear. It takes 1/2 hour to move through my tank's system and collect the floating particulates. After that, the water is as clear as air until the next WC. But if I didn't explain that, what would people believe the cause of my cloudy water is?

Yes , there are many factors with water clarity with what I learned here from the forum.

Where do you buy the koi clay Chelsea?

Edited by Fastlane

I use Amazon.com for that. Here's a link to what I use: 

http://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Lift-Calicium-Montmorillonite-MLKKB2/dp/B001TA8KPW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439483639&sr=8-2&keywords=koi+clay

Most pond stores will have it, too.

Edited to add: I want to also put a disclaimer here. Koi Clay is not a cure for all reasons for cloudy water. Like I said above, there are many factors that can impact how clear water is and all of those things need to be ruled out prior​ to using Koi Clay or you won't know if the product is just a Band-Aid for something else that is dangerous to your fish. ​

Edited by ChelseaM

I use Amazon.com for that. Here's a link to what I use: 

http://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Lift-Calicium-Montmorillonite-MLKKB2/dp/B001TA8KPW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439483639&sr=8-2&keywords=koi+clay

Most pond stores will have it, too.

Edited to add: I want to also put a disclaimer here. Koi Clay is not a cure for all reasons for cloudy water. Like I said above, there are many factors that can impact how clear water is and all of those things need to be ruled out prior​ to using Koi Clay or you won't know if the product is just a Band-Aid for something else that is dangerous to your fish. ​

How long do use the clay? Does it take months to finish the 2lb clay? And how do you use it? Like every water change?

I have a 29gallon BTW. And I'm overstock. Still cant replace it because I'm currently on the second floor. Structural integrity issues. :D

How do you ise koi clay? Certain mixture? Thnaks!! :)

I have a 75 gallons tank i can't seem to keep the water clear. I have a hang on back filter that can handle a 100 gallon. I change 90 percent water change yesterday but it is cloudy already. I want to know why

There are instructions on the back of the container. Basically you add an amount that correlates to your tank size. With every WC. That container of clay should last a long time.

As for your overstocking, I would suggest taking care of that FIRST before anything else. You have a couple options: Rehome some fish or, get another tank to spread out what you have. Please take care of that before you try anything else. It is important that the fish have a proper environment to live in in order for the water to be healthy enough.

Panda, please start a thread in the water quality section. In my signature there is a link to the Disease Diagnosis form. While I understand that the issue you have is not a disease, copying and filling out that form for your thread will help get an idea as to what is going on in your tank.

Edited by ChelseaM

There are instructions on the back of the container. Basically you add an amount that correlates to your tank size. With every WC. That container of clay should last a long time.

As for your overstocking, I would suggest taking care of that FIRST before anything else. You have a couple options: Rehome some fish or, get another tank to spread out what you have. Please take care of that before you try anything else. It is important that the fish have a proper environment to live in in order for the water to be healthy enough.

Panda, please start a thread in the water quality section. In my signature there is a link to the Disease Diagnosis form. While I understand that the issue you have is not a disease, copying and filling out that form for your thread will help get an idea as to what is going on in your tank.

Alrighty!! Thank you. :)

Yep, no problem. :) I can't wait to see how things go for you once your tank is properly stocked and the koi clay is in play. :)

I love using Koi Clay after W/C's . I never had a water clarity problem.  It does make the water look cloudy and awful at first but once it clears it's crystal clear. My fish love eating it too when it's added  :teehee