Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
hughesyau

Change in water temperature during water changes

7 posts in this topic

Hello Folks,

Quick question regarding water changes and temperature.

As our tank is planted we have it heated to maintain a steady 22 degrees. 

However, when we do my water change, we fill the tank up via a hose running from our garden tap.  This can cause our temperature to drop to around... 18 degrees.

My question : How big a concern is this for us/our fish? Or can they handle a brief variation of this level?

Thankyou

I think 4 degree Celsius is not that big of a deal, especially if you refill slowly. However, if you are too concerned you could add some hot water from the indoor faucet via a small bucket.

Or, like I did, fix for example a bathroom faucet so you can screw a garden hose to it, and refill the tank directly from the faucet. That way you have full control over the temperature. You just might to have to go to a hardware store to get a little attachment for the faucet that allows you to screw the garden hose to it. 

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I think 4 degree Celsius is not that big of a deal, especially if you refill slowly. However, if you are too concerned you could add some hot water from the indoor faucet via a small bucket.

Or, like I did, fix for example a bathroom faucet so you can screw a garden hose to it, and refill the tank directly from the faucet. That way you have full control over the temperature. You just might to have to go to a hardware store to get a little attachment for the faucet that allows you to screw the garden hose to it. 

This is what I do, use my kitchen tap which I can adjust the temperature of to refill. But I admit it is a problem in Summer when water from the cold tap often hits 30+c and my tank is at 24, In that case I usually do 50% water change instead of 80% and refill more slowly (and do more frequent changes to make up for the smaller one)

You could just stop heating your tank.  Goldfish do not require heat and it's good for them to experience the natural gradual daily temperature cycle.  Do your plants really need a constant 22C or can they handle the drop in water temperature with the water changes?

Alternatively, you can:

do smaller, more frequent changes to minimize  temperature swing,

draw the water and store it in a container for a few hours before putting it in the tank,

fill the tank gradually rather than all at once.

If your fish aren't exhibiting any distress after the water change, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for your replies and ideas people :)

I had to start heating my tank as my plants require a slightly warmer temperature than the 14 degrees it was sitting at quite often throughout our Melbourne winter. When it starts to warm up again I will turn off the heater so they can experience gradual changes.

At first I thought one of my fish was exhibiting distress from the sudden change in temperature. However, upon the next water change I noticed he started acting frantic and swimming to the surface as soon as I added the gravel vac into the tank and started siphoning. I think he might be a bit of a stress head and is petrified of water changes after he was accidentally sucked up a while ago, assuming they actually can remember that long!

Goldfish have very long memories, particularly for bad experiences, the location of food, and fishy "family" members.

I have to use my outside tap because I use a nitrate filter which won't fit on my kitchen tap.

My tank is 22 C naturally right now, and the water from the outside tap is about 17 C (very similar to yours)

I collect the filtered water into two big 40litre tubs and use boiled water from the kettle to get up to 22, before adding it all the tank. I normally have to refill the kettle about 3 times, but I've got used to this routine and it works for my fish.

This is probably not helpful to you if you don't like to use buckets to fill up your tank, but thought I would share anyway :)