Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
katalisp

Do you have to cook gel food veggies if you use a vitamix?

Hi All,

Figured I'd make some gel food for the freezer while I'm cycling my tank. That way I have it when the fish arrive. Been reading the gel food posts and info on vitamins and wonder if it would be better for the fish if the veggies were raw (maintaining heat soluble vitamins). My vitamix can liquify anything. What are your thoughts? I understand I'll have to cook the fish protein though. 

You'll also have to cook the gelatin or agar, which will slightly cook the pureed veggies anyway.

I don't see why you would have to cook the veggies if they're liquified. It does help with liquification, though, if you just blanch them. :)

E2Ask: Are you sure you don't just want to go with a premade gel and avoid all the prep?

Edited by ChelseaM

You'll also have to cook the gelatin or agar, which will slightly cook the pureed veggies anyway.

I don't see why you would have to cook the veggies if they're liquified. It does help with liquification, though, if you just blanch them. :)

E2Ask: Are you sure you don't just want to go with a premade gel and avoid all the prep?

Thanks for the input on the veggies. 

I love to cook and make most of our food anyway. My kids are on a special diet for health reasons so it's no big deal to make a freezer batch of gel food.  It seems like will save some $ since the set up was so costly. I'll also get some pellets but don't want any floaty fish. Thanks for the input on the veggies. 

No problem. :)

I just find the combo of veggies, Agar, and fish to be more expensive in my area than just getting a premade powdered gel food. (Repashy) But the prices might differ where you are. :)

good to know. I'll price it out. 

If you have a bit of patience (like to the end of the weekend), I just filmed my own feeble attempt at making gel food and will post it on my YouTube Channel as soon as I edit up the video.

I like the fact that I control what my fish eats and that I have something unique for them :) Plus the little extra it might cost, itsn't a big thing for me. I'll use that money on something fishrelated anyway - so might as well be food :)

Thanks for all the input  :feedme

One option aside from boiling and raw is to steam the veggies so they're bit softer. Steaming helps vitamins to keep better than boiling anyway :)

Edited by kiro