Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yogosans14

Better pellets for floaty fish and to help growth: Saki Hakari or NLS?

Hello, I use Aqueon slow sinking pellets and they are not very good or nutriaonal atleast i think. They seem to make my black moor floaty, I will feed him anything else and he doesnt seem to get floaty only on these pellets he does.

I know both Saki and NLS are good brands but which would be best for fast growth and to help with floatiness?

Pellets in general might not be the best choice for your fish, if he tends to get floaty.

Try a more varied diet. If you insist on pellets, try Omega One small sinking goldfish pellets.
Blanched green vegetables, frozen foods (blood worms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp etc). 

Gel foods are great too, either homemade (you can find many recipes in the Goldfish Food section), or prepared products that you just need to add water to and bring to a simmer or boil, like Repashy's Soilent Green or Super Green.

Pellets in general might not be the best choice for your fish, if he tends to get floaty.

Try a more varied diet. If you insist on pellets, try Omega One small sinking goldfish pellets.

Blanched green vegetables, frozen foods (blood worms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp etc). 

Gel foods are great too, either homemade (you can find many recipes in the Goldfish Food section), or prepared products that you just need to add water to and bring to a simmer or boil, like Repashy's Soilent Green or Super Green.

I feed my goldies frozen blood worms and repashy soilent green weekly.

Then it might be a good idea for you to start feeding that as your staple diet. Try feeding the Repashy daily and the FBW 2-3x/week. :)

Although I have had several fish get floaty on soilent green . . .

It's trial and error.  I would try NLS Thera-A 1 or 2 mm pellets and/or Hikari Lionhead and feed conservative portions.  I mix these two food and don't have any floaters.

It's trial and error.  I would try NLS Thera-A 1 or 2 mm pellets and/or Hikari Lionhead and feed conservative portions.  I mix these two food and don't have any floaters.

SolidGold recommends the normal purple bag one. is that one good?the pellets are tiny so better for the goldies to digest..

SolidGold recommends the normal purple bag one. is that one good?the pellets are tiny so better for the goldies to digest..

I had floaty fish on Saki Hikari, so I prefer Hikari Lionhead.  Again, it's really trial and error.  If you want to go with a tiny pellet, try the NLS 1mm Thera-A formula.

I prefer NLS Thera A because of the quality of ingredients and the use of whole foods. I agree with Jared. It is trial and error when it comes to finding the right foods to avoid floatiness.

Edited by LisaCGold

Generally speaking wet foods like fresh/frozen/gel are better for floaters, but I feed plenty of dry food including both to those brands, now, and have had zero floaters.