Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenste

Finding Hikari Lionhead...size question

I am looking into purchasing Hikari Lionhead because I keep seeing it referenced and raved about.

I am trying to order some from Amazon and can only find Mini pelllets.  Stupid question but is this ok if it is the only size I can find to order or should I keep looking for another slightly larger size for when they are larger in the future?  (Trying to plan so I can continue them on the same food if I like the results)

Thanks for answering a probably ridiculous question but just trying to plan for my babies due to the new little lionhead I ended up with. 

Small pellets are good for a goldfish for the duration of their lives. Many here that feed NLS Thera+A pellets only feed the 1mm size to all of their fish, regardless of size. Smaller pellets don't expand as much, which reduces the instance of constipation and is more easily digested.

I don't think there is even a larger size of Hikari Lionhead, either.

Also, something to add: You don't need food that is specific to the type of goldfish that you have. I just wanted to put that out there so you don't feel limited. :heart

Edited by ChelseaM

Thank you! I resorted to looking online after being unable to find them in stores and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something!

It only comes in one size, which is about 2mm.  I always order it from Amazon.  It's cheaper than what most stores charge, especially if you have Amazon Prime  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-12-3-Ounce-Lionhead-Sinking-Pellets/dp/B003WRE9M8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439135116&sr=8-1&keywords=hikari+lionhead

Edited by Jared

Yup Primed it :) can't wait to start adding it to their food rotation. Have you seen positive results from feeding it?

My fish love their Hikari lionhead. Now that they've grown a bit they just fit more pellets in their mouths before they stop to chew.

Yup Primed it :) can't wait to start adding it to their food rotation. Have you seen positive results from feeding it?

Yes, I have and I've never had any negative results such as floating, etc.  I mix it 50/50 with NLS Thera A 2mm pellets and feed this blend every morning.

I get all my food from amazon and never hesitate to get the small pellets.

^ I'm with all the Prime members above. All of my fish foods come from the internet.

I use Prime all the time...no idea why I never thought of it for my fish supplies! Wonder what kind of deal I could find on Stress coat etc....

Just wanted to add, that I have had great wen growth when I started using the Lionhead variety. Both on my oranda and my actual Lionhead :)

I am running out of it, and it is hard to come by here in Europe. And especially in Denmark, because the pet stores that has import rights on it - doesn't anymore. Which is sad.

I'm sorry if this I stupid questions fancyblackgold because obviously I'm not from Denmark, but couldn't you buy it online? I've looked into prices in UK and I don't think they're too bad, but obviously there might be some laws etc that prevents you from doing it that I don't know of?

It's due to come in today. I may start a photo journal on the little lionhead's growth - he is only 9 grams right now so his wen hasn't really started developing yet.  

Oh! I can't wait to see your lionhead's progress. I love watching little baby goldies grow up. :)

I want a lionhead but I do feed 1mm lionhead food. Yes I agree post follow ups on him.

Edited by CourtneyandThunder

In addition to the Hikari Lionhead, I would recommend feeding frozen bloodworms regularly for optimum wen growth :)

I usually feed them Bloodworms as a treat but will step up the frequency.  Right now it is a weekend treat (morning of a water change generally). How often do you think I should add bloodworms into their diet?   

Apparently I have 6 stubborn goldfish. All 6 snubbed their noses at the Hikari Lionhead!

Literally, I'm just staring at the pellets sitting on the floor of both tanks and they haven't eaten in 10 hours (normally they act like it's been an eternity!).

I'm going to stick to my guns and make it their primary food until they gobble it with enthusiasm like they usually do.

Hmm... they must be picky! They're probably just used to their usual food and don't know what to make of the new pellets.  I'm sure they'll learn to like it once they get used to it.

Yes, I would just keep offering it until they take to it.  You may need to vacuum out any left over food to avoid fouling the water.

You can feed Bloodworms as often as you want.  Currently, I feed them to my fish every other day, but I use to feed them everyday for growth.

I skipped their evening meal and this morning they didn't hesitate as much to grab up the pellets. 

Battle of wills between me and the fantails though - Domino seriously stared me down then grabbed one, turned back to me and spit it out then swam off on her merry way. 

I will win this battle 

They just needed to be hungry enough to give something new a chance. They'll learn it isn't a strange, scary thing soon enough. :)

Domino sounds like a character.

She is - she rules the tank.  She's always been a fat/deep bodied fantail (some thought she might have a bit Ryukin in her but she doesn't have a hump).   She has a fascination with gardening - she loves carrying around my red lilies and dropping them at random intervals around the tank.

Haha! I won the battle of wills with a goldfish!

Yay!