Kokos Goldfish Forum

So I have two small fantail goldfish. They are around an inch and a half to two inches long. When ever I put broccoli in the tank one of them chases the other around. I put the broccoli in the bottom of the tank for 20 mins and then take it out after, but while its in there (cheeto) chases the other (sushi) around. They both still eat some of it, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to stop it? I think they are to young to to be breeding and it only happens when there is broccoli in there.

Any questions or advice in appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I should add that cheeto only chases him at the tail, that's what made me think of breeding, but like I said I think they might be to young. Also I don't think he is trying to nip or bite sushi either.

When I had a bully problem I floated a plastic colander in the tank and put the bully in there. It worked and the other fish got a much needed rest. But if you think the bullying is not that bad and no one is getting injuries you can observe them for now.

Edited by Cdionne77

Also it could be a food domanannce thing since it happens when broccoli is in there ll. My fish push and shove sometimes to get to food. It happens :) im hoping someone else will chime in with a better way to address this as am no expert :)

There's a form linked in my signature that we use in disease diagnosis. Could you please copy and paste it here, and fill it out? I know this isn't a disease, but it will help us determine some other factors. Also, if you can, please provide a video. Videos can be uploaded to YouTube and the links posted here. :)

Aside from Chelsea's suggestion, have you tried to just cut/tear little bite sized pieces of broccoli and drop them into the tank? With the food being spread out more, the chasing might not really happen?

I was also going to suggest offering multiple broccoli spots - maybe even so far as to use a veggie clip to keep one up near the surface and other pieces at the bottom?  May spread out the nibble areas more so that Cheeto and Sushi each have a "zone" they can chow down in. 

Just so you know my tank is still in th cycling process.

Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level: 5.0ppm

* Ammonia Level: 0

* Nitrite Level: 2.0ppm

I also haven't tested my tap water yet, but I will be later today.

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master kit (drops)

* Water temperature? 74.5

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons, about a month and a hal.

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon quiet flow 55/75 and cascade 100. (I will be getting another aqueon soon)

* How often do you change the water and how much? I was doing every other day and about 10-25%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I was out of town so about a week ago. Roughly 25%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fantail's, an inch and half to two inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?API stress coat.

* What do you feed your fish and how often? I switch up sinking pellets, brine shrimp, veggies. Twice a day.

* Any new fish added to the tank? Nope

* Any medications added to the tank?nope

Next time I give them broccoli I will take a video and post it.

Aside from Chelsea's suggestion, have you tried to just cut/tear little bite sized pieces of broccoli and drop them into the tank? With the food being spread out more, the chasing might not really happen?

I have done this, I just don't like doing it because it creates a mess and is a lot harder to clean up.

I was also going to suggest offering multiple broccoli spots - maybe even so far as to use a veggie clip to keep one up near the surface and other pieces at the bottom?  May spread out the nibble areas more so that Cheeto and Sushi each have a "zone" they can chow down in.

That's a great idea, I did try putting two pieces slightly further apart from each other to see if that would help and it didn't. I think having one at the top of the tank might help.

2ppm nitrite is quite adequate to create behavior symptoms in goldfish.  Please do the following:

a large water change to lower the nitrite,

get Prime water conditioner, which offers some protection from nitrite, 

add a teaspoon of salt to the tank, which protects against nitrite,

reduce the amount you are feeding until the nitrite level stays at zero.

Your tank will probably be fully cycled in just a few days and your fish should be more relaxed then.

Yes, those nitrites are extremely high. Shakaho has given you great advice. Then I suggest following everyone else's tip to break it up and offer it in multiple spots. If that doesn't do it, wait until the one fish has a full mouth and then hand feed the second :)

Some fish are food bullies and you just have to spread the food all over the tank to allow the more docile fish to get their share :)

2ppm nitrite is quite adequate to create behavior symptoms in goldfish.  Please do the following:

a large water change to lower the nitrite,

get Prime water conditioner, which offers some protection from nitrite, 

add a teaspoon of salt to the tank, which protects against nitrite,

reduce the amount you are feeding until the nitrite level stays at zero.

Your tank will probably be fully cycled in just a few days and your fish should be more relaxed then.

I did about a 50% water change yesterday. I assumed 2.0ppm nitrite was really high. I just got home from work and tested and it's down to 0.25ppm. I'm so proud and happy these guys are making it through the cycling process. I can't wait for it to be over, so they don't have to be stressed anymore.

I will be going to my LFS today to pick up some salt.

Another question off this topic, (I can make anew thread if needed) I'm going to be getting my new larger filter to replace my cascade 100 today. I will be leaving in my aqueon quiet flow which has been going through the cycling process. Will taking out the cascade 100 push back my cycling or will the aqueon Have enough bacteria to keep it the same pace?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Leave the existing filters in the tank and running along with the new filter.  After two weeks you can remove the Cascade 100, since the nitrifiers should have adequately populated the new filter.  However, keep the removed filter ready to go back into the tank until you have confirmed that nitrite and ammonia read at a stable zero.

Leave the existing filters in the tank and running along with the new filter.  After two weeks you can remove the Cascade 100, since the nitrifiers should have adequately populated the new filter.  However, keep the removed filter ready to go back into the tank until you have confirmed that nitrite and ammonia read at a stable zero.

Thank you shakaho! I know that when you switch the filter out you need to leave the new one in That long but I wasn't sure about just taking one out.

You can just purchase salt at the grocery store. Make sure it has no additives whatsoever. Morton's pickling salt is fine and quite affordable.