Kokos Goldfish Forum

All my fish are in QT since I got them (over 3 months!)

Everyone is healthy and I was planning to move them into a planted 75 gallon tank - just completed a fishless cycle .... Was going to move them this coming week.

Now multiple worms have appeared!!!! Hhheeeeelllllppp!

They are an inch long... Maybe a tad over and inch. White. Flat. I swear I saw some itty bitty ones too but not sure if I'm just being crazy now.

Is this planaria?

What the heck do I do now? I have more fish coming this week cause I planned on emptying my QT tank.... So sad!!! I want to cry. I fear this means I have to start this tank over again.... Sad... Terribly sad. And won't have space for the new-comers :(

It doesn't look like planaria in the video.  It is clearly feeding, so it is free-living rather than a parasite.   It is likely delicious and nutritious, so don't worry about your fish.  

Your fish will love to eat them. I get these in my pond sometimes.

Looks like detritus worms. I wouldn't worry :)

I love you guys! I hope and pray you are right! Oh sweet sweet pickles please be right....

I am ever so scared now to move them! It has been traumatic so far with these fish... And I really don't want to put them in danger. They finally for the past couple weeks have been flourishing... I hope to make them even happier by giving them a much larger home!

And thank you all for your quick response!!!

You did a fishless cycle, right?  So there haven't been any fish in there.  Unless you believe in spontaneous generation, these have to be free-living worms.  Free-living worms = fish food.  Relax.

No fish ever. And yes, this is actually the second fishless cycle for this tank. At one point I stopped adding ammonia for over a month and sort of stalled the cycle ... All the plants got huge. I'm sure there was plenty of detritus from the plants... And I had the filter off too.

I took everything out of the tank and filters and cleaned them. Then put the plants in planters instead of deep substrate. Then re-started the fishless cycle - went really fast I'm guessing because I had reused some substrate and all the old plants...

I do have pond snails and Malaysian trumpet snails.

Fishies say "yum, yum!!" A welcome home gift!

Edited by LisaCGold