Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
CaptainJackSparrow

Ryukins? or Faintails?

23 posts in this topic

Hello.  I'm a new poster here.

I'm a long time aquarist, but quite new to fancy goldfish.  I've spent most of my life keeping various saltwater tanks.  I recently lost my long time reef (thanks to my little one who apparently likes to play with a gfci button while I'm away for work for several days).  So instead of starting over with the reef, I've decided to go a totally different route (and hopefully a little more kid friendly).  I've started a 125 gallon just for fancy goldfish.  Thank tank is up, running, cycled and doing well so far:)

So to my question.  My plan is to keep 5 fancies.  I recently bought 2 young new fish that I thought were both ryukins, with early "bump" growth.  Now I'm starting to wonder if I they aren't just fantails.  So I thought I'd seek the advice of more experienced goldfish keepers.  The following are pics of the 2 fish in question.  They are both about 1.5-2 inches in body length.  Also, fwiw, the all orange fish has no split on his caudal fin.  I'm not sure what's going on there.  So any help would be appreciated.  I have good LFS that would happily take back/trade if I wanted to.  As I plan on these little guys being with me for a long time, I'd like to get the types of fish that I really want.

FullSizeRender%2022.jpg

FullSizeRender%2024.jpg

FullSizeRender%2019.jpg

To me they both look like ryukins and they also look to have slight wen growth

Yes they do look like ryunkins but they can also be a mix. But they have a bump, fantails don't.

Welcome!

I think I see small humps on both your fish, but it might come down to waiting to see how they look once they've grown a bit more.

Your tank looks great!

I agree with the others, the small humps present on both fish lead towards ryukin, but it really will all fall into place as they grow. Both are beautiful :)

And what's wrong with "just fantails"? :cry

:teehee

Cute fish!! :)

They're spiffy! I see a little hump and narrow snout, so I'd lean toward ryukin.

Love the tank! I hope you enjoy fancy goldfish as much as your reef. Welcome to Kokos!

Haha! There is absolutely nothing wrong with "just fan tails"! In fact, I love the 2 that I already have. I am simply trying to get a little variety in my tank. I intended to imply that fantail are the "less altered" version, but I guess I chose my words poorly. Sorry!

In fact, after I posted I was wondering if I was gonna get called on the "just fantails" comment or the misspelling of fantails in the title of the thread:)

I love the red and white one! Nice red on it. :D

Tell me more about your light! Is it one six foot fixture??

I'd LOVE a 125gal for my :goldfish: so I'm a bit jelly. And Lisa is teasing you about the just fantail comment because they are her favorite and because she's a sassy sister :teehee

They do look like immature ryukins to me, but there's no way to be more certain until they get bigger. As far as the tail split... Some fishes don't have one :idont it's a genetic whoopsadaisy :P but that first red/white gf is beautiful :heart

If you give them a good varied diet and large weekly water changes they'll grow fast :)

Btw :welcome:

Thank you for your comments! I'm excited about the 125. I think it's a great size for GF. I've rigged a quite easy water change system so I can do a nearly hands free 70% change in about 30 minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain the water quality even tho my available time is quite limited. I'm away from home usually 4 nights a week.

The fish less cycle went really well and I'd highly recommend it to anyone starting any type of aquarium.

As far as the lights....as I stated, I'm not home much so I didn't really want a lot of light creating algae growth when I'm not there to see it anyway. Also, I do most of my viewing in the evening/night so that's another reason for less light. I have 2 4 foot ILife LED strips for general viewing. I also have a simple LED pod fixed just over the plants for plant growth. That's it. The ILife strips have the ability to add pods to increase the lighting, but I'm ok with what came in the box.

So envious of the 125!  I love your set up - simple but eyecatching.  Can't wait to see these babies grow!

:teehee all good! I have my old t5 thingy from my 55 gallon tank. Too confused/cheap to find a replacement but yours looks really nice! I just want it to be eeeasssyyy. And pretty. :lol2 Too many factors!

These definitely meet the criteria for easy. Especially since my last light setup was dual 250 watt metal halides that required a chiller to keep the water from nearly boiling????

:yikes

Can you link me to the ones you have now?

Ok but FYI, I've only had them about 4 months so I can't speak yet for their long yet reliability. So far so good tho????. I basically got them because I wanted LEDs for their temperature qualities and efficiency. I found a great deal on this one so I bought it. They r not super bright outa the box, but could be if u bought additional pods for it. Also, Elive makes other versions that are dual track and probably brighter, if that's what u want.

http://elivepet.com/fish/lighting/led-module-track-light/

We rock :rockon

And are very modest :rofl

And Lisa is teasing you about the just fantail comment because they are her favorite and because she's a sassy sister :teehee

:

Yes, they are. :heart. And, no, I'm not. :pp. :booty

:tomuch:

Terrific tank set-up! And cute fish  :)