Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldfishgirl82

Foods with Vitamin C

My vet recommended that I add more Vitamin C to my fish's diet because he's having some health issues, and we're pretty sure that some of it has to do with not enough of this vitamin. Anyways, do any of you know any foods that could be added to a gel food that have lots of vitamin C, but are not acidic or citrusy? None of my pellet foods specifically list this as an ingredient, while they do list Vitamin A, D and others. I'm thinking spinach at the moment... but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. 

My vet recommended that I add more Vitamin C to my fish's diet because he's having some health issues, and we're pretty sure that some of it has to do with not enough of this vitamin. Anyways, do any of you know any foods that could be added to a gel food that have lots of vitamin C, but are not acidic or citrusy? None of my pellet foods specifically list this as an ingredient, while they do list Vitamin A, D and others. I'm thinking spinach at the moment... but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. 

Green pepper or any bell pepper although green has the most vitamin C (you learn this when owning guinea pigs)

Just got this off a website www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-C.php

High vitamin C foods include bell peppers, dark leafy greens, kiwis, broccoli, berries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, peas, and papayas

Just put Vitamin C in the gel.

You can just add C powder to the gel, if you want. I know in the past you said how picky that fish was.

I was thinking about adding the powdered vitamin. I was just told to be careful about how much, so I thought I'd try to find some foods and do less of the vitamin powder. 

Where did you get the recommendation to not add too much?  I have not been able to find any level of Vitamin C in food that is toxic to fish.  Instead I read that vitamin C rapidly leaches from fish food when the food gets in water.  I will be happy to read and interpret any research you can find on the subject.  

Actually, you may get no advantage from adding Vitamin C to gel foods.  You can store Vitamin C that is perfectly dry for long periods of time, but it begins to degrade as soon as you put it in water, and none is left after a few days. (http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html) You may be able to keep it if you freeze the food immediately after you make it and keep it frozen until just before you feed it.

Thinking about it, you might try time-released Vitamin C which might last longer.  Better yet, feed dark leafy greens directly to the fish.  

Spinach or Red Leaf Lettuce clipped into the tank would be a good source of Vitamin C.

The toxicity threshold for C is almost off the charts high, you're very unlikely to dose to the point of harm, so don't concern yourself overly much with that. C isn't particularly stable and oxidizes rapidly, especially in reconstituted dried and powdered form. Nuking little pieces of bell pepper is the easiest way to do it and preserve the vitamin content - microwaving won't damage it as much as the loss in the powdered forms exposed to water and UV.

Edited by Arctic Mama

We had a member here a long time ago that would blend Bell Peppers into her Gel food all the time..Her fish loved it... you could just Blend them up and feed it to them in the Gel food.. Great good :)

Oh and dont feed goldfish Broccoli as it will cause them to get gas, just like some humans :whistle:

We had a member here a long time ago that would blend Bell Peppers into her Gel food all the time..Her fish loved it... you could just Blend them up and feed it to them in the Gel food.. Great good :)

Oh and dont feed goldfish Broccoli as it will cause them to get gas, just like some humans :whistle:

Yeees. Like *some* humans. Especially of the husband variety :wa

Where did you get the recommendation to not add too much?  I have not been able to find any level of Vitamin C in food that is toxic to fish.  Instead I read that vitamin C rapidly leaches from fish food when the food gets in water.  I will be happy to read and interpret any research you can find on the subject.  

Actually, you may get no advantage from adding Vitamin C to gel foods.  You can store Vitamin C that is perfectly dry for long periods of time, but it begins to degrade as soon as you put it in water, and none is left after a few days. (http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html) You may be able to keep it if you freeze the food immediately after you make it and keep it frozen until just before you feed it.

Thinking about it, you might try time-released Vitamin C which might last longer.  Better yet, feed dark leafy greens directly to the fish.  

My vet was the one who said to limit the amount. 

I always freeze the gel food until right before I feed it, so hopefully that will help keep it good. 

I plan to put some spinach and seaweed in the mix as well, so hopefully that will be helpful. I just have to hide that and the pellets under the scent and taste of things like krill and bloodworms so he will eat it.  :teehee

Edited: I may try some cooked bell peppers also. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Yeees. Like *some* humans. Especially of the husband variety :wa

:teehee

You talking about TD :rofl:teehee