Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kiro

Cheap(ish) Quarantine tank?

Anyone knows where I could get foodgrade tub etc for about 120-150 liter to use as quarantine tank?

My love, bless him, doesn't really know anywhere to get big plastic tubs, and he also strongly hinted that while he is fine with one big tank, he would prefer not to have another "proper" (in his mind, made of glass) tank around for quarantine (but apparently plastic one would be fine, maker alone knows his logic).

He is right in that we ARE somewhat pressed in pace, however, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I know places like Wal Mart and Target have them around here. Probably any store that offers organizational and storage items would have a variety of storage tub sizes.

What about something like this?  I use one of these..  I do not use food safe containers.  Those I have used had a tendency to simply shatter.  

I agree with shakaho. I have used "non food-safe" containers for years now, some of them for extended periods of time (as in a year or more) and have not had any problems.

I don't know which stores you have available in the UK, but check out your local hardware stores - especially if you have large / chain stores available. They always sell large storage tubs.

And just to toss in my two cents: for how many fish at a time do you need this quarantine tub? I personally find it more important to change the water more often rather than providing large water volume. Personally I prefer to have two smaller containers of about 40 liters each, unfiltered but both with a small air stone, and do a bucket to bucket quarantine where I transfer the fish to a 100% fresh tub of water every 24 hours - depending on the size of the fish or his condition. 

Emptying out the old container immediately and wiping/scrubbing it down, refilling and adding water conditioner and the air stone, and 24 hours later repeating the whole thing.

I do what Fang describes (called bucket to bucket) for hospital tanks, but I do not wipe or scrub the inside of the container, just empty and rinse.  I don't mind at all if the containers cycle.

If you are in the UK like me, The Range is where i got mine. They have lots of different sizes and they have the food safe logo :)

Just realised this was in the UK section therefore u are obviously in the UK..... Silly me

Thank you everyone.  

Good to know I don't strictly HAVE to stick to foodsafe containers, it gives me bit of a wider choice.

I believe I will only use the tub for one or two goldies at the time, at first for the quarantine and then as hospital tank if needed. I plan to change water daily in quarantine (and obviously so should sickness strike), but I would still prefer bigger water volume since 40 l just seems so darn little.

And yes, I am in UK Jes, and thank you especially, I should have specified. I will drag my love to the Range for a tub hunt, then.

Moving permanently over in September/October, so doing research of stuff available etc :)

Edited by kiro

In quarantine you dont want huge volumes.....just enough. If that makes sense.

The bigger the volume of water the more medicine etc is required. ... so alot more $$$$$

Some medications are hard to get and expensive. So smaller helps.

And i found (with some fish) larger meant they swam around more and used more energy. Not good on a real sickly fish.

Grab a heater too.

Helps with treatment of many diseases.

Also a spare air pump and a cheap sponge filter. Or 2. You dont want huge currents with sick fish.

Ah, thank you for letting me know, blackmoors. I hadn't thought about the move water volume+more medicine needed.

I've been eyeing this tub. Anyone has any comments on it's suitability?

I like Calamity's suggestion except for the pink:yikes

Many medication doses are per 10 gallons -- the main reason we recommend 10 gallon quarantine/hospital tanks.  I've used 10 gallon tanks with daily 100% water changes for large mature goldfish.  

I like Calamity's suggestion except for the pink:yikes

Many medication doses are per 10 gallons -- the main reason we recommend 10 gallon quarantine/hospital tanks.  I've used 10 gallon tanks with daily 100% water changes for large mature goldfish.  

Hey now pink is awesome :P

But in all fairness it was the first 40 ish L tote that popped up on that site when I searched the word "bin"

I just finished treating my 1 male for dropsy and did that all in a 5gallon.  Re-dosing a med daily in 100% new water would have been a major PAIN IN THE *** if I had anything larger then a 10gal.  I don't have a python system, and for a QT fish you don't want to use the same one you use with your main tank either, so its hard work!!

Scoop fish out, empty tank, rinse out, fill 2 x 5 gal buckets half way with temp matched water because im weak and hate carting around buckets of water around the house, dump into tank, add appropriate meds and heater back, done! The trips id have to make to dump my water over the railing of the deck, then from the bathroom to where my QT tank was for a larger tank, UGGH!

So if you can get that perfect 37litre sized tub, or a 40-45l but mark it with a sharpie at the 37litre/10 gallon mark you're in business. 

Plus if you get an even bigger one but only fill it with 10gal worth, and you want to hang a filter off the side, your water level will likely be way to low to run one.

Thank you calamity. I will look into getting couple of that size then. Maybe not pink tho xD since I want to be able to see the fish clearly.

I've seen a lot op different proportion, though. Any tips what would be good depth so I could use it for as long as possible even when they grow?

Edited by kiro

IMO depth should depend on your heater.  Do you have a fully submersible heater?

I like the size of that pink one I linked, longer then tall like a normal tank.  So if you don't have a submersible heater, bring your heater with you when you go look at bins and see if it would fit in the bin upright or slightly tilted and imagine a fake water line, would the dry part of the heater get wet? Keeping in mind you're not filling this bin as full as a tank. Would a filter still be able to hang off the side of it?

Thank you so much again Calamite!

I don't have anything right now, I am still only planning for the future, since I will be moving from Finland to UK this September/October. So basically everything is still open; I don't have heater, tank, lights, anything (though I HAVE plans on what to get for the main tank when the time comes). This obviously will leave me some wiggle room with certain things.

I may be late to the party..but, I use WHAM tubs. The are food-safe and are polypropylene, 5. I love them.

Thank you Hyridesh, I will see if I can get them in UK and what they might cost :)

I bought a plastic tub from Asda which worked fine and cost me less than £10. An aquarium that size would have cost me ten times that.

Hi colley614

Yeah, plastic tubs are way cheaper than aquariums. That's why I am getting myself a tub(s) for quarantine needs. They're lighter too, so bit easier to maneuver, and I can store them inside each other when not needed.

I don't mind paying more for the main tank, but tub is definitely more useful as temporary housing, at least in my situation.

Thank you for the tip, I'll compare the prices when I get back to UK and start really build up the tank.

Plastic tubs have there uses.

But with a sickly fish it can be almost impossible to keep an observatory eye on it with out physically handling it.

Where as a glass tank will allow you to SEE what is going on without disturbing the fish too much.

So just another thing to keep in mind.

With a shallow plastic tub,  the only thing you can't see without handling is the bottom of the fish.