Kokos Goldfish Forum
small fry

Fancy goldfish with BN Plecos

I have one fancy in a 29G (will be upsizing soon so he/she can have a buddy) with some WC minnows and cory cats.  

Nobody caught this?

Cory cats are small enough that goldfish try to eat them.  The spiny fish gets stuck in the goldfish throat, often leading to the death of both fish.

I have one fancy in a 29G (will be upsizing soon so he/she can have a buddy) with some WC minnows and cory cats.  I have a lot of artificial plants that accumulate green algae over time, so I don't keep my lights on. I would like to have an algae eater to help out so I can keep the lights on at least in the evening.  Please shed your experiences on the Bristlenose Pleco - I am very interested in getting one!  Thanks.

These plecos are one serious bunch of poop machines. I used to have ten of them that soon became about 100 and there was no filter that could keep with them doing potty all the time even when they were a shorter number. Whoever thinks goldfish make a mess should check these guys out.

I have at least 3 BN Plecos (maybe more if a baby or 2 has been quick enough) but I never notice ANY kind of Over POOPulation!

I did not read all the posts but i did read a few and I have 2 comments.

1. I have had BN plecos in with my goldfish for about 4 years with no problems. Each BN has his/her own cave. This is not to say it will never be a problem but so far so good.

2. If your BN is latching onto your goldfish, there is a good chance you need to feed it more.

Also keep at least a small piece of driftwood in there for them to rasp on!

How big do the BN plecos get?  I confess, I'm pleco-phobic, just hate them (they freak me out!!), but I don't mind them so much when they're small.  I'm having some serious algae issues and am considering (more like just barely toying with the idea) getting one.

They get about 4 or 6 inches big

I have albino BN Plecos with my Goldfish and I love them.  They get along fine with my Goldfish and they keep the tank, wood and plants very clean :)

Mine are dinky....about 3 inches long & are full grown!

Edited by Jeana727