Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
QandD

Fishless cycle timing

pH: 7.8

kH: 5 drops, 89.5

What was the pH before you added the baking soda?

7.5-7.6

How's Duchess doing?  That amount of change should not be an issue at all . . .  I'd add another 1/2-1 tsp and try and get that KH up a bit more.

How's Duchess doing?  That amount of change should not be an issue at all . . .  I'd add another 1/2-1 tsp and try and get that KH up a bit more.

She seems to be a little better. I think she is just sensitive. I'll add another tsp presently.

OK--she's not quite better. She's periodically bottom sitting. I've also noticed that I'm reading .25 nitrite and ammonia  :no: I added 2 capfuls of Prime and am going to hope that she's protected, but this is a bummer.

You're cycle is new and still fragile.  Just keep testing and adding Prime as needed.  :D

A sudden drop in pH is much harder on them than 0.25 ammonia . . . .

My parameters are wacky this morning: nitrite is back up to 2 ppm, only trace nitrates, ammonia at .25 ppm; my pH makes sense at 8.2, but I am worried that I did something bad to my cycle--breaking its fragility, as it were. I'm currently doing a very large WC and the girls seem OK, but had I not come home this morning and tested them, I am not convinced that the salt would have protected them beyond 2 ppm. I guess I am lucky that it and the Prime protected them so far. 

Am I doing anything wrong? 

I don't remember how high up the salt will protect from nitrite but I think it was fairly high . . . like 5 or something crazy like that.  I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's just still early in the cycle.  You're doing the right thing--testing often, salting and Prime as needed.  :D  Did you up your feeding?  :idont

I don't remember how high up the salt will protect from nitrite but I think it was fairly high . . . like 5 or something crazy like that.  I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's just still early in the cycle.  You're doing the right thing--testing often, salting and Prime as needed.  :D  Did you up your feeding?  :idont

OK--I just about had a heart attack since they've just been getting over being sick. 

I did up the feeding (cube of blood worms for dinner, when they haven't been getting dinner). I've changed about 90% of the water adding baking soda and a gH booster and macro ferts (according to E.I.)/Excel. I'm going to keep testing and was advised on the plant forum that E.I. was safe during cycling, and I don't want the plants to die (they are looking pretty unhappy). I hope this is OK. I'm waiting for the filters to run for 10 minutes more before I retest pH, gH, and kH and add the girls back in. 

I think I am going to reduce feeding again, if that sounds OK.

Yep that sounds fine.  And the ferts shouldn't be a problem either.  I agree.  :D

Update on my parameters: 

Ammonia: .25 ppm

Nitrite: 2 ppm  :help:

Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

pH: 8.2

gH: 8-9 drops, 150 ppm

kH: 7 drops, 125.3 ppm

I leave Wednesday morning and get back late Sunday. I've gotten a friend to agree to come double dose Prime Thursday-Saturday, and I'm hopeful that if I'm not feeding them the nitrites won't go crazy, but I'm now very nervous since the nitrites just keep going up, up, up. I did dose ferts on Monday (macro) and Tuesday (micro).

Duchess has been gulping a lot and acting jumpy. The temperature is at 73 degrees. 

I am thinking of doing a large water change and not redosing ferts until I get back. I'll start fasting them tomorrow, probably, or certainly Wednesday, but I wanted to check in  :no:

Edited by QandD

Well nuts.

Feed once today and tomorrow, very lightly and keep the salt in there. Hide all the food so your friend isn't tempted to feed. :o

Well nuts.

Feed once today and tomorrow, very lightly and keep the salt in there. Hide all the food so your friend isn't tempted to feed. :o

OK--she is coming by today to get my spare key and I'm going to explain everything to her. She's usually quite good about these things, so I'm not very worried. When I had a roommate dose medications I explained how the fish can be very persuasive and do the Dance of the Seven Veiltails to get what they want, but to desist.

I also plan to do another large WC on Wednesday morning before I leave if I get ANY weird readings, and even then, I might do about 50% to be safe. 

I haven't been following this thread for a while, but why not  do a 90% water change and cut back on the food now?  Is there a pH problem?

I haven't been following this thread for a while, but why not  do a 90% water change and cut back on the food now?  Is there a pH problem?

There was a pH problem due to very low kH and gH (which surprised me, since the pH from the tap is 7.2-7.5 usually). I have been dosing baking soda and gH booster. 

I just completed a 90% water change and will more or less stop feeding them until I get back. I will probably do another large WC early on Wednesday before I have to go to the airport. My concern was that I'd done a 90% change only a couple of days ago and the nitrites are back up even though they'd been decreasing before, making me worry that the high-nitrite phase is back again. Not sure what happened, but hopefully things will be stable enough while I am gone and then I can straighten things out.