Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
QandD

Fishless cycle timing

The salt will protect them from the nitrite.  It's up to you.  The thing is . . . let's say the tank cycles Aug 11 and you add them in.  How do you know it's cycled for the amount of waste they produce vs adding 0.5 or 1 ppm ammonia?  :idont

You could wait a few days and see if the nitrite starts to drop.  It's usually a good couple of weeks. 

Sorry--just one more point of clarification: 1 tsp per 10 gallons? Will such a small amount be sufficient?

The salt will protect them from the nitrite.  It's up to you.  The thing is . . . let's say the tank cycles Aug 11 and you add them in.  How do you know it's cycled for the amount of waste they produce vs adding 0.5 or 1 ppm ammonia?  :idont

You could wait a few days and see if the nitrite starts to drop.  It's usually a good couple of weeks. 

Sorry--just one more point of clarification: 1 tsp per 10 gallons? Will such a small amount be sufficient?

Yes, for nitrite but not for parasite or other uses.  :D

Great--I did a 95% change and am refilling the main tank now. Fish-popping-in should commence in the next hour!

Oh yay! I'm so excited for Duchess and Vickie! I bet they'll be glad to be back in their roomy home.

Great--I did a 95% change and am refilling the main tank now. Fish-popping-in should commence in the next hour!

OK--

mixed news. I wound up only putting Duchess into the tank since, under better light, I saw that Vickie had a tuft of something on her dorsal fin and some tail spots that didn't look good. So she's back in the QT. 

When I just came home, Duchess was hiding in the main tank. I've tested her nitrite and it's between .5 - 1 ppm already! UGH. Should I just put her back into QT or do a water change? I'm scared that if the nitrite goes so high so quickly that she will get poisoned over night. I don't really know what to do.

Oh no! I don't know about fish-in cycling, but I hope Duchess is okay.

Did you test the water before you put them in?  I'd do a large WC or several back to back to get ammonia and nitrite to 0, then retest in a few hours.  And, trust me, the salt is protecting her.  :hug  It might not be a bad idea anyway just to keep her in there, get the cycle to be able to handle her then adding the other fish shouldn't take too long for the cycle to catch up. 

Yes I changed 95% before she went in, so it's gone up to .5-1 ppm in a few hours. I'm changing it again now (about 85%--I don't want to take her out since she is already stressed having gone back into her old/new house). UGH!

And what was it before the 95% change?

And what was it before the 95% change?

1st WC pre-Duchess: 0 ppm ammonia, 5+ nitrites, 5ppm nitrate, pH 7.5. 

2nd WC: 0 ammonia, .5-1 nitrites, didn't test the rest since I freaked out.

Edited by QandD

Honestly, when cycling, once you see nitrate I don't see a need to test for them every time.  We know you're getting them.  I don't care if they are 5 or 10 TBH :rofl

Here's the thing . . .If your nitrite was 5+, how do we know how much + it was?  Maybe it was 10 and so doing a 95% WC still left 0.50 nitrite.  :idont  That's why I asked if you tested before adding Duchess.  :D

Honestly, when cycling, once you see nitrate I don't see a need to test for them every time.  We know you're getting them.  I don't care if they are 5 or 10 TBH :rofl

Here's the thing . . .If your nitrite was 5+, how do we know how much + it was?  Maybe it was 10 and so doing a 95% WC still left 0.50 nitrite.  :idont  That's why I asked if you tested before adding Duchess.  :D

I see--makes sense. Well, I did another 85% one just now and she's back to terrorizing her new plants. She even managed to pull up a banana plant. She's pretty strong for being 49 grams, I guess.  

I'll probably be checking the nitrite and nitrate in the next few days and hoping for the best. 

Thanks--sorry for all of the questions--these tanks have just been stressing me out lately.

Hi, just wanted to let you know that nitrites have stayed at zero overnight! I also got trace ammonia readings (0-.25 ppm) and zero nitrates. pH is stable. So things seem to be looking up! I've also been able to add Vickie this morning, so they should be both supplying the biofilter with plenty to eat.

Thanks for your help and I will let you know if I run into any problems, though I doubt they'll be anything that a good water change can't fix! 

Yay!!

Hi all,

So I've been cycling with the fish in the tank for a few days now, and I've noticed that I get nitrite readings every other day. Today my readings were: 

Ammonia: 0-.25 ppm

Nitrite: .25 - .5 ppm (maybe? I have a hard time distinguishing to be honest, but it seems to be more on the periwinkle side of things)

Nitrate: trace (not 0 but not 5)

pH: 7 (which is a big drop!) 

I have 1 tsp/10 gallon of salt in the tank and double dosed Prime this morning. Their last water change was the day before last (8/4) since I read zeros across the board yesterday, with pH being at 7.6 or so. To offset the pH drop I have added some GoldBuffer this morning. I will test again in an hour or so. Otherwise the girls seem OK, though Duchess was a bit dart-y before I fed her and checked the parameters, and I saw her yawning a bit. Her gills are not brown, but she hides a bit in various plant thickets. I wonder if this is just fun and experimentation from her, though, since I am constantly replanting as the stem plants try to develop roots.

Anyway, I was thinking of just waiting another day to do a WC to try to get the BB a chance to register some nitrates and catch up a bit. One of my filters stopped a couple of days ago (sand), so I did have to do a very gentle rinse of their filter floss to get out the silt. I did this in tank water and tried to add back as much (non-sanded) tank water as I could. I also added more floss to both filters in an effort to give even more space for BB to grow. I hope I am doing these things correctly.

Thanks for any advice--just wanted to make sure I am on track before my flight this coming Wednesday.

Yep I'd wait on the WC. Sounds like things are going well! I'd watch that ph though. I sudden drop will make them flash . . .

Yep I'd wait on the WC. Sounds like things are going well! I'd watch that ph though. I sudden drop will make them flash . . .

Yes, I've added some buffer and haven't seen any flashing so far!

Just wanted to report some banana-dancing news: nitrites and ammonia have dropped to zero of their own volition, pH is 7.6, and nitrates are zero (?), but I've been feeding pretty lightly and the plants have been starved for nutrients as they await their E.I. ferts. 

So without further ado:  :greenbanana:

:rockon

Start feeding a bit heavier/more normally and fertilize those plants!  :nana

Ferts are coming today in the mail and I AM SO EXCITED. They will also get a second meal of bloodworms today for being such good ammonia-dosers. 

Actually, sorry, one more question: 

I decided to test my kH/gH (API drops) and results are surprising, since my water is basic when it comes out of the tap (at least 7.2):

kH: 3-4 drops, 53.7-71.6 ppm

gH: 6 drops, 107.4 ppm

I dissolved a teaspoon of baking soda in tank water and poured it in to raise kH according to dnalex's pinned chart on this page. (gH booster is coming in the mail today, since I've been advised that 9-11 drops are best for plants.) Once I added the baking soda, though, Duchess has been doing some gulping. Did I do something wrong, or is this just normal? If I am endangering her I will do a WC.  

They are in a 29 gallon tank.

Edited by QandD

Ferts are coming today in the mail and I AM SO EXCITED. They will also get a second meal of bloodworms today for being such good ammonia-dosers. 

:rofl3

Actually, sorry, one more question: 

I decided to test my kH/gH (API drops) and results are surprising, since my water is basic when it comes out of the tap (at least 7.2):

kH: 3-4 drops, 53.7-71.6 ppm

gH: 6 drops, 107.4 ppm

I dissolved a teaspoon of baking soda in tank water and poured it in to raise kH according to dnalex's pinned chart on this page. (gH booster is coming in the mail today, since I've been advised that 9-11 drops are best for plants.) Once I added the baking soda, though, Duchess has been doing some gulping. Did I do something wrong, or is this just normal? If I am endangering her I will do a WC.  

They are in a 29 gallon tank.

Test your pH and KH in the tank please. :D