Kokos Goldfish Forum

I just meant that the water quality might balance out and not want to swing significantly higher or lower than my tap water, which has been my experience with a cycled tank. I think that the presence of ammonia may be making my water more basic than I'd like, but I'm not a chemist. 

I just meant that the water quality might balance out and not want to swing significantly higher or lower than my tap water, which has been my experience with a cycled tank. I think that the presence of ammonia may be making my water more basic than I'd like, but I'm not a chemist. 

The sign of high Nitrites is actually good.... Some tanks will just jump into the cycle and others take a little bit longer...

I would keep what your doing.. once the nitrites go to 1 -2ppm change the water... add in only up to 1ppm of ammonia....

Dont worry so much on the ph right now just let it be :)

Your on the right path.... now its the Cycling Wait dance....

Let me find it for ya :rofl

30075yu908_zpsa76456c4.gif

There we go :teehee

The sign of high Nitrites is actually good.... Some tanks will just jump into the cycle and others take a little bit longer...

I would keep what your doing.. once the nitrites go to 1 -2ppm change the water... add in only up to 1ppm of ammonia....

Thanks! The only issue I have is that nitrites seem to climb over 2 ppm within hours of a 90% change! Arg. They're above 2 ppm right now. I'm going to change 50% in a bit and not redose ammonia, since I do have to write, eat, live, etc. 

Thanks! The only issue I have is that nitrites seem to climb over 2 ppm within hours of a 90% change! Arg. They're above 2 ppm right now. I'm going to change 50% in a bit and not redose ammonia, since I do have to write, eat, live, etc. 

Lets try out something.... just once... Let the tank be over night... Lets see what the little Squirt does :)

Lets try out something.... just once... Let the tank be over night... Lets see what the little Squirt does :)

GLADLY!  :Jig:

Oh, didn't you know when you sign up for a fishless cycle, you must give up writing, eating, living, etc?  :o

:tomuch:

Oh, didn't you know when you sign up for a fishless cycle, you must give up writing, eating, living, etc?  :o

:tomuch:

It feels that way!!!

In my fishless cycle using pure ammonia, I had the over enthusiastic nitrites too. Things looked great for the first 6 days (started with bottled bacteria), then stalled for 3 weeks with nitrite through the roof - but I wasn't doing enough water changes (75 gal. + bucket = frustration).

It took me 8 days of every other day 95% water changes (I had finally bought a Python) when the nitrites were 5.0+ to get the nitrites to drop to zero. Days 1-5 nitrite stayed deep purple (3 water changes, plus added ammonia after 2 of the changes, where ammonia had converted to 0 overnight)), day 6 nitrite was down to 1.0 (ammonia was zero & added some), day 7 it was .50, & day 8 ammonia & nitrite were both 0.

That is pretty typical. Once they arrive, they go through the roof and stay there for what seems like forever. Then suddenly over a couple of days they are gone. I remember retesting a couple times, blinking, asking my family if they saw any purple. :rofl3

I guess i was lucky. I had about 4-5 weeks to wait before I could get fish, so I just seeded the tank with filter media from a friends pond, threw in a small piece of raw chicken, and let nature take its course.

And unless you have really sensative plants, I wouldn't worry so much about the pH. Mine guys along with some java ferns and a Bolitis herteroclita (a supposedly sensitive plant) that's doing just fine in my 8.4 pH water. Fussing of your buffering seems like just one more thing to take away from the enjoyment of fishkeeping.

Thanks for the encouragement--I certainly don't want to stall the cycle since I have to go to Canada in two weeks and would like to return my little women to their real home. 

Thanks for the encouragement--I certainly don't want to stall the cycle since I have to go to Canada in two weeks and would like to return my little women to their real home. 

How we doing ?

How we doing ?

Just testing the water now: 

Ammonia is between 0-.25 ppm!

Nitrite: 2+ ppm

Nitrate: 0-5 ppm (orange cast to the yellow)

pH: 7.5

Big water change time, yes?

I'd probably do between 50-75% WC and bring ammonia up to about 0.5.  :D

Getting there.  :nana

Great--I'm doing about 80% right now and am getting optimistic that there may be an end in sight!

You all are such big helps  :D

Great--I'm doing about 80% right now and am getting optimistic that there may be an end in sight!

You all are such big helps  :D

:thumbup2:

Hi all,

Sorry--back again. I've been on day 9 of nitrites in general and probably day 7 or 8 of super-high nitrites. I've been trying to dose at around .5 ppm ammonia and a couple of days ago, I tried dosing close to 1 ppm as an experiment, since the ammonia has been dropping precipitously throughout the night (got 0 ppm this morning!). pH is stable at. 7.5-7.6 since I've stopped buffering the water, temperature at 81 degrees, and nitrates have been reading at 5 ppm for several days (sometimes a tiny bit less, but always some orange). 

I have been doing 85-90% water changes every day due to the nitrite situation, but I can't do one right now for family reasons (might be able to do one tonight). Will waiting stall my cycle? Also, is this still typical? I would really like for the tank to cycle soon, since I leave on the 12th of August. 

I'd appreciate any advice. This is getting fatiguing. 

Don't worry about the nitrite . . . .

Remind me.  what size tank and how many fish are going into it?  How big are the fish?  :idont

Don't worry about the nitrite . . . .

Remind me.  what size tank and how many fish are going into it?  How big are the fish?  :idont

I'm cycling a 29-gallon tank and my fish are fairly small. Duchess the six-year-old fantail is 48 grams (as of a couple of weeks ago) and Vickie the juvenile oranda is 19 grams. They are very impatiently in a 10-gallon QT right now (daily 100% WCs and light feeding....  :donthit:).  

P.S. by not worrying about the nitrite, does this mean it won't stall the cycle or...?

Edited by QandD

Call me crazy but I'd put them in.  :yikes

I'd do a 100% WC and add them.  Feed lightly, add 1 tsp salt per 10 gallons, and test in 12-24 hours.  The cycle should handle the amount of ammonia produced and the salt will help with the nitrite.  Is your pH stable?  Why do you buffer?

Call me crazy but I'd put them in.  :yikes

I'd do a 100% WC and add them.  Feed lightly, add 1 tsp salt per 10 gallons, and test in 12-24 hours.  The cycle should handle the amount of ammonia produced and the salt will help with the nitrite.  Is your pH stable?  Why do you buffer?

I haven't been buffering lately, but I had been since the pH had been at 8 for a while.  :idont I've stopped buffering their QT, too, though I'd have to check how they're doing in there. Otherwise the pH is very stable.

I'm kind of scared to add them when the nitrite ROCKETS so high... they've been getting over parasitic illnesses (Arctic Mama thinks they're better now) and I don't want to hurt them again. 

The salt will protect them from the nitrite.  It's up to you.  The thing is . . . let's say the tank cycles Aug 11 and you add them in.  How do you know it's cycled for the amount of waste they produce vs adding 0.5 or 1 ppm ammonia?  :idont

You could wait a few days and see if the nitrite starts to drop.  It's usually a good couple of weeks. 

The salt will protect them from the nitrite.  It's up to you.  The thing is . . . let's say the tank cycles Aug 11 and you add them in.  How do you know it's cycled for the amount of waste they produce vs adding 0.5 or 1 ppm ammonia?  :idont

You could wait a few days and see if the nitrite starts to drop.  It's usually a good couple of weeks. 

OK--I see what you mean: I would have more control over their health while I am here than if I trust the tank not to bump during my absence. I'll do a 100% change either tonight or tomorrow and risk popping them into their new house. They'll probably stop antagonizing each other at least with all of the new plants to kill  :teehee

Thanks for this advice! Much appreciated.

Edited by QandD

Just continue to check ammonia and nitrite once they are in, post results and we'll help with WCs, how much, how often,etc.  :D

Just continue to check ammonia and nitrite once they are in, post results and we'll help with WCs, how much, how often,etc.  :D

Thanks so much from me and the girls!!