Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
yogosans14

API test kit showed I have 1.0 nitrite, retested and now shows 0?

7 posts in this topic

Hello!So my goldfish got ich about 2-3 weeks ago and I used a petco brand ich treatment which worked wonders for killing the ich but sadly it killed my bioglical filter!I read online that apparently some medications do this so long story short I had to re cycle with my goldies in the tank (I used Tetra Safe Start) to do it. So far my readings have been 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and .10 nitrate but it was weird today I tested and my nitrites showed 1.0 but then after panicking and retesting after 5 minutes it showed 0 again.

Anyone know what could have caused this?

At times when I've used drops I get false readings if I haven't rinsed the test tube enough before testing

I would test again just to be sure the correct reading was 0ppm. Perhaps try another dry test tube?

I agree.  Retest.

And if you need to treat for ich again, heat and salt is all you need .  . . :D

Were you careful to let the tube sit for a few minutes before reading? That threw me off the first time I used it.

Either way, I wouldn't freak out too badly. Like the others said, just rinse out any tubes really well in tank water, and retest.

Edited by Phil B.

I like to use a scale to ensure I have 5.0 water to test as their lines on test tubes can be slightly off. The test tubes' weight varies too: from 5.7 to 6.1.