Kokos Goldfish Forum
yogosans14

I purcahsed a 40 gallon breeder over a 55 gallon, did I make a mistake?

Hello all!I have been keeping 2 juvenile fancy goldfish in a 20 long with double filtration and recently purchased a 40 breeder at the petco 1$ per gallon sale, I plan to move both of them as soon as I can afford a stand and lighting. A you tuber I really like named Tirtha recommended a 40 breeder over a 55 but everyone I asked on Yahoo answers said I should have went with the 55. What do you think!?

They are practically the same volume, but the 40B Is shallower and wider.  Tanks shaped like this are preferred by breeders, which gives them their name.

You did fine.

I seldom see a sensible answer on Yahoo.

Edited by shakaho

I think it's a personal choice for the individual.  I really like the 40b because it's wider but then the 55 is longer but not as wide.  I think you are going to love your new 40b.  It's a beautiful tank.

Your fish will appreciate the upgrade. It takes more than a month to cycle a tank - if you're like me you'll go crazy with impaitence wanting to move them into their fancy new home ASAP.

BUT it will be a testament to your FISH WISDOM that you fully cycle it and create a safe new place for them first.

Your fish will appreciate the upgrade. It takes more than a month to cycle a tank - if you're like me you'll go crazy with impaitence wanting to move them into their fancy new home ASAP.

BUT it will be a testament to your FISH WISDOM that you fully cycle it and create a safe new place for them first.

I already have a cycled filter, moving a filter to a new tank in my experience gives a insta-cycle.

They are practically the same volume, but the 40B Is shallower and wider.  Tanks shaped like this are preferred by breeders, which gives them their name.

You did fine.

I seldom see a sensible answer on Yahoo.

Oh ok thanks!And yeah people on Yahoo can be annoying.

Just think with your test kit and watch those nitrites after you add the fish. I thought everything was cool until it wasn't.

I already have a cycled filter, moving a filter to a new tank in my experience gives a insta-cycle.

Most of the time it does, sometimes there can be a little bump so always good to keep an eye on things ^_^ Congrats on your new tank! I believe Tithra actually has an account here

My advice: Do not use Yahoo Answers for anything anymore. There is seldom a correct answer to be found there. 

Edited by ChelseaM

I don't think you made a bad choice but I do prefer a 55 over a 40b. My reasons are that it holds several gallons more water, and I think it looks better since I prefer the look of a long tank over a short one.

Absolutely true, but some of the nitrifiers live on the surfaces in the tank, and these don't move to the new tank.  As a result, some people get a "cycle bump" in spite of moving cycled filters into the new tank -- usually a nitrite spike.  Since your new tank has twice the volume of the current tank, I would not expect any problems, but still recommend checking ammonia and nitrite every day or two for the first week, just to be double safe.

Use Seachem Prime (which inactivates small quantities of ammonia and nitrite) as your dechorinater to be triple safe.

Tithra used to be a moderator here and gave you good advice.  The width and height of the 40B are more preferable for goldfish than the dimensions of the 55.

40B is my fave tank.  :D  Congrats on the upgrade.  

I like both tanks - either would be great for your number of fish. I personally have a 55 just because it holds more volume, but I like the look of the 40B a lot ... plus plants look great in it. Also, a 40B actually holds something like 43 gallons.

I miss Tithra!

As everyone else said, their volume is almost the same but the dimensions of the breeder are a bit better for fancy goldfish. A 55 gallon wouldn't have hurt anything, but of the two the 40 breeder is a fine choice.

The other good thing about the 40B is that it will be easier for you to reach into to do maintenance, decorating, etc.  The 18 inch width (front to back) also provides more space to create different levels with plants. :)

I was just thinking of saying pretty much the same thing as Jared just said ;)

I love my 40B tanks! And I like the roominess it gives my growing goldies, plus I love to use 40Bs for my land Hermit Crabs too. I also just bought a 40B tank for my Tropical fish to upgrade to from their leaking 30 gallon they used to be in.

55 gallon tanks are good too but I just prefer 40B tanks. :)

Thanks everyone for your input, I have some OCD issues lol so Im glad its not another thing I have to stress over! I cannot wait to get them in there and watch them thrive.

Edited by yogosans14