Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kiro

The best time to plant

Hi all.

I was wondering, what point would be good for planting the tank?

During cycling?

After cycling while one is looking for/waiting for/quarantining the fish?

After the fish have been added? (though I imagine this might lead to fast sallad buffet. I imagine that if the plants precede the fish they just MIGHT leave them be).

Basically I there even better moment for planting? Or worse?

i would wait until after cycle myself,but not sure if that's a necessary,some say if the tank is already planted before adding new fish (babies)they are more apt to leave the plants be ;) i hope this helps some :)

I always started on the planting before or during... never bothered my cycling... Sometimes helped.. if they where plants from an already cycled tank :)

I'd do it while cycling. Aquatic plants take up ammonia more than nitrate, so it's a win-win for helping the plants establish themselves and grow IMO. Not all goldfish will disturb plants (mine don't), but some people do say your chances are better if the plants are there first (part of the scenery) vs. added when the fish are already in the tank (yay, food!). I have no idea if this is true or not though, because I've literally never had a fish that even pecked at my plants, whether they were added before or after!

Thank you everyone :)

I was wondering, will the quarantine procedure hurt the plants? (I AM going to get quarantine tank. I am asking mostly out of curiosity, and in case I need to separate two first arrivals for quarantine because understanding as my love is we really don't have space for three big[ish] tanks).

Edited by kiro

Thank you everyone :)

I was wondering, will the quarantine procedure hurt the plants? (I AM going to get quarantine tank. I am asking mostly out of curiosity, and in case I need to separate two first arrivals for quarantine because understanding as my love is we really don't have space for three big[ish] tanks).

Certain Meds can hurt some plants.... Like lets say you had Swords in there, they wont tolerate .1% salt much....

Thank you again Koko :hugs I'll keep that in mind once I will finally get to start the building the tank progress.