Kokos Goldfish Forum
FishyMandy

Helping fish to grow?

Hi :) So my guys never seem to grow very quickly, I don't want extremely fast growth but I was expecting my younger ones to be growing faster than they are as I think they are a lot smaller than they should be...

For example I've had Tiny for about 10 months now this is when I got her:

pJyGBDs.jpg

This is now

p9SAx77.jpg

Now Tiny has had a few incidents of illness and has put a lot of energy into regrowing fins, but I was still expecting to see more growth than this! :(

Then there are my fry. They hatched in November last year so they are about 8 months old now...

but the biggest ones are still only about 4cm long..I feel like a lot of that was due to me keeping too many in the beginning so they didn't have enough space.

I feed a Staple of NLS Pellets 3-4 times a day, I don't measure how much I put in, but they all go for it and eat it within a few minutes. I try to drop it in a bit at a time and stop putting it in when they are all settling down to chew and not looking for more.

I'm trying to add in bloodworms on a more regular basis now, before they just got it every so often, the last few weeks I've been giving them a few cubes between the 8 of them in the main tank once a week, would feeding them more often help?

Occasionally they get NLS Algae Gel or Nutri Gel, Again would making that a regular thing help?

Is there anything else I can do to help them? I want them to get the best they can and at the moment I feel like I'm slowing them down which is the last thing I want to do!

Disclaimer: I wouldn't be super worried about making them grow if they are healthy.

Feeding Bloodworms will help with growth, since that is a high-protein food. I'd go for 2-3x/week in replacement of one meal of pellets per day. As far as the gel goes, variety is the spice of life. You could add it to your rotation as often as you want. 

Here's an example of what I would do for meals, in a weekly format. The foods are ordered by digestion, with the hardest-to-digest foods being fed in the later hours when applicable, so that they have all night to go through the fish's system.

Monday: NLS AlgaeGel , FBW, Pellets

Tuesday: NLS AlgaeGel, NLS NutriGel, Pellets

Wednesday: NLS AlgaeGel, FBW, NLS NutriGel

Thursday: FBW, Pellets, Pellets

Friday: NLS AlgaeGel, NLS NutriGel, Pellets

Saturday: NLS NutriGel, Pellets, Pellets

Sunday: FBW, NLS AlgaeGel, NLS NutriGel

The only goals here are to keep things fresh for the fish taste-wise, and to make sure that pellets are fed in the evenings because they are less-easily-digested than the gels or the FBW. This way we don't have to worry about floatiness or that the fish are getting enough variety. This is only a guideline, though, so you could mix it up however you wanted.

Thanks Chelsea! I just get worried they I'm not giving them enough when they stay so small! I'm not wanting to force them to get massive or anything, just make sure they are growing at a healthy weight. I don't mind if they aren't huge just as long as I know they are getting enough food and the right things :) That helps a lot x3

Edited by FishyMandy

Just remember hun.... alot of it has to do with Genetics...... :)

Slower growth in early life, all else being equal, results longer life in animals in general.  This holds for humans.  Think "little old woman" and "little old man."   That's not just from osteoporosis.   Short people live longer on average than tall ones and worldwide (not in the US) shorter people had less to eat when they were young.

If you feed for health, not for size,  you make the diet as natural as possible.  A small, steady supply of natural food, among other things, makes pond fish healthier and longer-lived than aquarium fish.  

I would not worry, I have one that is the same thing, not as big as I thought he would be in a year, fancys grow slower then the commons, commons and koi.

I like big fish but I don't think I obsess about it. A couple things I believe help fish grow are lots of clean water, and good food. When I switched my fish to Hikari Lionhead, the growth of my Oranda really took off.

Next time I order from big als Im getting hikari lionhead. I read its excellent. You found a difference??

I wasn't feeding them very good food before that but yes the Oranda really put in some size. My fantail has also gotten bigger but not nearly as fast.

Thanks guys xxx i used to feed hikari lionhead before so i might go back to that or mix it with the nls.

I was mainly worried i was doing something wrong when i see others growing so fast and mine staying so tiny lol.

Thankyou everyone. Ill just focus on making sure I give them a nice healthy and varied diet.

Edited by FishyMandy

NLS is good food. I use that too. I would not expect a huge change in growth rate from one good food to another. Might happen but I just don't want anyone to be disappointed if it doesn't.

I understand that ^^

What got my fish to get some growth on them was:  I was feeding them more frequent small meals (anywhere from 3 to 5 but I think it was mostly 3 and 4 small meals) of nls, hikari lionhead, and bloodworms.  I was feeding them a meal of bloodworms about every 2 or 3 days.  I changed up my water change schedule to every 5 days instead of once a week.  (85% or more)  I have three fish in a 60g.  I did this for about 10 months and than slowed down the eating schedule to just twice a day.  I didn't want them to outgrow my tank. haha

Thanks! All this is very helpful.

My fish were very small for the longest time, but I was feeding a lot less - there is so much emphasis given on not OVERfeeding goldfish, and I went to the other extreme and was UNDERfeeding them! I switched from frozen Spirulina/brine shrimp cubes to a staple diet consisting of Repashy Soilent Green, NLS Thera-A, Omega One sinking pellets, Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish and Pro Gold (which is sadly no longer made). I also feed frozen bloodworms and nori strips once a week as a treat. Of the pellet foods, I think the NLS is the best - that and the Soilent Green seem to cause the least floatiness with my fish (I have a couple who get constipated easily). I don't feed the Saki Hikari too much anymore because it has more fillers than the other pellets I feed ... surprising with how expensive it is. I tried Hikari Lionhead, but my fish got very floaty on it. Since I mixed up their diet, I've seen crazy growth, and I think they appreciate the variety! I've seen amazing tail growth in addition to body growth, which is really neat. :)

I feed gel food and pellets daily and mix in blood worms, nori and veggies every other day or so. Do you think that my goldies would benefit from having more than one type of pellet? Are they getting enough variety that it wouldn't have a noticeable impact compared to their current diet?