Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
hughesyau

Plants and Temperature?

9 posts in this topic

Hello folks

So If you have read my recent blog post (http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121748-our-evolutionary-experience-extravaganza/page-2#entry1922157), you would be aware that we have recently added a lot of plants to our new tank, before the goldfish decide if they want to make a meal out of them or not.

My main question here is regarding temperature, as the title would have led you to believe.

Being in Melbourne, Victoria... and it being winter here, my tank is currently sitting at 16 degrees (60.8 farenheit). It probably gets a tad colder overnight, haven't had the chance to look as of yet. 

From the small amount of research I have done into "ideal" temperatures for the plants we have gained, as a general overview it appears it is "recommended" to be raised in 22 degrees (71.6 farenheit) or more.

Do you think my plants will die in the current temperature? Or be adversely affected in anyway? Is it worth adding a heater for the colder months or will my plants be able to survive without the need for one?

Look forward to your advice/suggestions. Quite like the look of my tank at the moment and if the plants thrive, it's going to look even better. Just want to ensure we are doing everything we can to try and see the idea come to fruition successfully. Thanks in advance peeps!

I would add a heater for the colder months. This is not only for the health of your plants, but also the activity of your fish, as both will be affected by that temperature. While the fish can survive fine at that temperature, they may become less active. Plants generally prefer warmer waters. Both the plants and fish should thrive in the range of 22-24 degrees C.

I appreciate your response.

We have a heater gained when we purchased the tank, its specs I will have to look into to see if it will be sufficient.

Worst case scenario, if we cannot add a heater, do you think the plants will die? Or just their growth slow?

I appreciate your response.

We have a heater gained when we purchased the tank, its specs I will have to look into to see if it will be sufficient.

Worst case scenario, if we cannot add a heater, do you think the plants will die? Or just their growth slow?

It's hard to say. It mainly depends on what plants you have.

I see an amazon sword in your tank. They are tropical water plants so they need 72F and above to thrive. The tank temp you have now may not be too good for the plant. I'm not sure though.

Edited by LisaCGold

It is actually a java fern I believe? however the same probably still applies.

Thanks for that info Lisa, I'll have a read about it now  :thumbup2:

I try to give my tank a slight seasonal variance. For me in California that means adding a heater in the summer and removing it during the winter (since the temp here is almost the same throughout the year), but if your winters are cold, I'd definitely add a heater during the winter as Chelsea suggested. As long as it's approximately "room temp" (around 60-75F), I haven't noticed any problem with my plants, and they have grown quite well. I have 2 swords, 2 Anubias, Cyperus helferi, dwarf sagittaria, crypts, red Ludwigia and lace java fern.

Enjoy your plants ... having a planted tank is quite addictive! :)

Edit: I just looked up your city to find out about the weather, and saw that you just had your coldest morning in 18 years at -0.6°C ... my goodness! Yep, I'd definitely add that heater!

Edited by *Amanda*

Just as an update, we installed the heater we had on hand and are now sitting at a constant 22 degrees celsius.

This, plus regular fertilization and the plants settling in to their new home.. appears to be doing the trick so far! (I'm away on work at the moment but so I have been told! looking forward to seeing how things are going in person tomorrow!)