Kokos Goldfish Forum

I'm sorry. Other than a water change there isn't much I can recommend at this point. Let me confer with the kids and see if anyone has any ideas.

I wonder if the goldie would take any interest in food and if it was actually able to swallow it, a deshelled pea for example?

Other than that, a water change and maybe turning on an air stone I would have no other ideas. 

Good luck

could it possibly be 'jaw lock' or 'lock jaw'.. however you guys call it over there.

we had another member with a similar issue a while back, although there was no abnormal swimming pattern.

the fish will unfortunately die in this condition, unable to use the suction motion the mouth movement offers for feeding and chewing in the throat area.. as well as stress.

could you try to gently squeeze (and i mean very gently) left and right sides of the mouth together at the same time? like a very gentle pinch? just to realign what might be locked open? if it were me, i'd try this on a 3 time pressure bounce

Hope he feels better.

so sorry about your fish being in such distress :( I do hope you can figure out whats going on and help him asap :(

You guys are a wonderful helper. I do not think I can unlock his jaw. He not eating,very skinny,and when he trys to swim he drag his whole body on the bottom of the tank. :( he still alive but he not him self. The 20 gallon filter hurt him,the way it was on top of his gills.  

And also he is suffering :( my poor Waffles

could it possibly be 'jaw lock' or 'lock jaw'.. however you guys call it over there.

we had another member with a similar issue a while back, although there was no abnormal swimming pattern.

the fish will unfortunately die in this condition, unable to use the suction motion the mouth movement offers for feeding and chewing in the throat area.. as well as stress.

could you try to gently squeeze (and i mean very gently) left and right sides of the mouth together at the same time? like a very gentle pinch? just to realign what might be locked open? if it were me, i'd try this on a 3 time pressure bounce

koko my

Oranda had his jaw locked. We figured out it was flukes that broke it as I treated with prazi. Within two days I think it was, his jaw unlocked and was starting to heal.

null_zps00ffcf86.png There was slight motion, but not much.

null_zps00ffcf86.png There was slight motion, but not much.

Mikey yours is up right mying laying on the side

i am asking if I can used lifeguard All in one treatment let me know please.

I am trying to see if the med will work I need your support please this is so upsetting to see him like this. He is so thin and not eating. 

I just reported this; hopefully you will be hearing from one of the mods soon. Sorry he is still like this. :(

I just reported this; hopefully you will be hearing from one of the mods soon. Sorry he is still like this. :(

thank you, you can hear it in my voice. 

hello, did you try to gently squeeze a little the jaw to see if the lock would release? if it's a simple mechanical problem, this may help.

if this is anything like the case i resolved about a year and a half ago, it can be from secondary infection caused by flukes. so prazi and metronidazole would be the treatment to use.

if you are concerned about this fish not eating, you could make a food paste (so that the fish does not need to chew, just swallow) and syringe feed. the mouth being locked open would make syringe feeding a lot easier.

hello, did you try to gently squeeze a little the jaw to see if the lock would release? if it's a simple mechanical problem, this may help.

if this is anything like the case i resolved about a year and a half ago, it can be from secondary infection caused by flukes. so prazi and metronidazole would be the treatment to use.

if you are concerned about this fish not eating, you could make a food paste (so that the fish does not need to chew, just swallow) and syringe feed. the mouth being locked open would make syringe feeding a lot easier.

I am afraid to squeeze him,I feel like I am going to hurt him more then he is.I do not have prazi or metronidazol. All I have is lifeguard All in one treatment,the med is in with him. He is flipping out. :( I never feed a fish with a syringe.

Edited by Tohru1529

I am afraid to squeeze him,I feel like I am going to hurt him more then he is.I do not have prazi or metronidazol. All I have is lifeguard All in one treatment,the med is in with him. He is flipping out. :( I never feed a fish with a syringe.

but what if it is not a medicating required situation? i am going to be very honest. your fish will die if the mouth does not recover.. so realistically, you have very few options and also, very limited time.

so, we can try to gently squeeze the mouth to see if it will unlock whatever is locked, and if that doesn't work we can give the medicines a try.. either way, you're going to need to get food into it for survival.

but what if it is not a medicating required situation? i am going to be very honest. your fish will die if the mouth does not recover.. so realistically, you have very few options and also, very limited time.

so, we can try to gently squeeze the mouth to see if it will unlock whatever is locked, and if that doesn't work we can give the medicines a try.. either way, you're going to need to get food into it for survival.

The Medicating dose required the situation. I am sorry but I try to squeeze the mouth I could not do it,and he look worse after I did that. What food should I give him because of his mouth.

Edited by Tohru1529

Helen suggested prazi for his mouth as a possible solution but you said you don't have any.  Can you get some?  

Helen suggested prazi for his mouth as a possible solution but you said you don't have any.  Can you get some?  

If I buy off of line it will not be here until Tuesday 

Lifeguard all in one dose have flukes in it,it will help.

i am not a fan of all in one treatments.. but if that is what you want to try, that's fine. best of luck to you and your fish.

i am not a fan of all in one treatments.. but if that is what you want to try, that's fine. best of luck to you and your fish.

I have someone getting me Prazipro. could you tell what I should feed him please thank for helping me

if they are getting you prazi pro, then they will also need to get you some metronidazole.

flukes are damaging, but if this is the result of flukes, then you are seeing a secondary infection which is causing the mouth issues.. the secondary infection will be more damaging than the actual parasite, so it's ideal that the treatments are treated together. i would also be adding salt to the tank.. and at this stage, the fish needs to be in an isolated hospital tank (if it isn't already).

you can feed him anything. what you're seeing in the prepared syringe is just crushed up NLS made into a runny paste so that it passes through the syringe easily. if you do not have NLS, then you can feed with really softened, watered down to a paste peas. anything that will soften enough to be made into a runny paste and fed via syringe.

if they are getting you prazi pro, then they will also need to get you some metronidazole.

flukes are damaging, but if this is the result of flukes, then you are seeing a secondary infection which is causing the mouth issues.. the secondary infection will be more damaging than the actual parasite, so it's ideal that the treatments are treated together. i would also be adding salt to the tank.. and at this stage, the fish needs to be in an isolated hospital tank (if it isn't already).

you can feed him anything. what you're seeing in the prepared syringe is just crushed up NLS made into a runny paste so that it passes through the syringe easily. if you do not have NLS, then you can feed with really softened, watered down to a paste peas. anything that will soften enough to be made into a runny paste and fed via syringe.

I am so luck I have one Metronidazole left.