Kokos Goldfish Forum
hughesyau

Idea for an alternative ammonia source when cycling

Hello folks,

As some of you may be aware we have been on an extended mission of setting up our 50+ gallon tank, whilst our 2 little one's were undergoing QT.

As I work away for 2 weeks at a time it has been a longer process than normal, but am pleased to say they will be venturing into their new home next break at last!

Recently, I added some Osmocote Aquatic into the substrate (https://www.scottsaustralia.com.au/osmocote/osmocote-plus-trace-elements/osmocote-water-gardens-aquatic-plants/)

However, as these tablets are rather big I tried breaking them up into smaller pieces, freezing them and placing them in the substrate. This then meant I had inadvertently crushed a few of the little balls. The next day or 2 I noticed we had 4-8ppm of ammonia in the tank and panicked! Luckily a small water change and another day or two of cycling and this had been converted to nitrates.

Which leads me to the reason I have started this topic.

Rather than having my partner continuously top up a mesh bag with fish food for the next week or so until I return, I was thinking why not throw a few of those little yellow fertiliser balls in the bag instead?!? (Some slightly crushed perhaps?)

They are slow release when under the substrate and obviously leech a bit faster when exposed purely to the water column, as I am sure most of you are already aware.

Does anybody see any issue with this or possible problems that may arise?

Thanks in advance :)

I am not sure they release ammonia. Maybe check the ingredients?

They have ammonium nitrogen in the inredient list.

From other hobbyist test reports i have recently read online of the products both crushed and uncrushed in glasses of water, they definitely produce some form of ammonia. Others reports plus my own experience of a sudden massive ammonia spike, after adding the balls crushed and uncrushed to the tank draw me to this conclusion.

What I wonder is would it be sufficient to replace my current 1 TSB dosing of fish food as an ammonia source? And would the other ingredients listed i.e. P and K cause any unwanted effects in the tank once dissolved? Algae blooms for example?

If not, perhaps a less labour intensive way for cycling a tank for those without access to liquid ammonia?

Thanks for that info! I'm sure someone will be along who knows more than me about this. Good luck.

Ammonium Chloride Solution for Fishless Cycling

DrTim's Aquatics offers a small 2 oz bottle for $2 US  

Thanks for the response mystery.

However, I still am interested as to whether my idea would be viable for future reference? Rather than purchase a new product, it would be handy to use something already available

I would use ammonium sulfate instead.

The risk is not knowing the dose, that's why I haven't used it in my pond to reduce pH. Some pond owners use it as a water clarifier and to also bind up phosphates.

Actually, when staring a tank cycle I prefer to use snails and cycled media. I don't like adding ammonia artifically. It seems to happen well enough on its own.