Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

I need nitrate in water...

I am doing a science fair experiment, and my question is: The effect of different levels of nitrate in water on bean seed germination.

I was wondering, how can I get nitrate in water besides from dirty fish water? I would hate to keep my babies in a water with 40ppm nitrate, just for the sake of my experiment. Is there another way I am able to get it without hurting my fish?

Thank you (:

(btw, my topic is inspired by my deceased fish, Fin, due to possible Nitrate poisoning)

Hmmm set up a bowl and over feed it? Not sure how long that would take.  I do know many house plant fertilizers have it in them too. 

I know our rain water has a lot in it maybe you can collect some and see how high it is where you live.

Edited by Hidr

If you're fine with a bit of potassium, I'd dose KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate). It's what people who dose EI in planted tanks use for nitrate. :)

You want ammonium nitrate, the major nitrogen source in commercial fertilizers.  I wouldn't recommend potassium nitrate, since potassium is also a major plant nutrient and you would be looking at the combined effects of the two nutrients.

You can get ammonium nitrate by getting some lawn fertilizer labeled 34-0-0, by purchasing the chemical, or, since you need very little,  you could ask your teacher if (s)he can supply you with some.

Looks like you have gotten good advice. I do have a question about the science experiment. While nitrate is toxic to fish, it is a food for plants. What are you hoping to show?