Kate89

Fry fluke treatment - to salt or not to salt?

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Just about to start my frys first fluke treatment with Kusuri (flubendazole). Does anyone recommend salting as you would in a normal qt procedure? If so 0.3%?

Thanks for your advice in advance :)

Hi  Kate and congratulations on fry . salt is used for many reasons when raising fry fish. Mine  are all reared with some salt.

My main use for the salt would be to prevent any secondary bacterial infections that may arise as a result of any fluke lesions, rather than for ich or any other purposes. Would 0.3% salt (introduced in 0.1% increments every 12 hrs) be appropriate for fry?

Salt works very well for that purpose although I use it for another reason and sometime as much as 0.3 ( 3 gram per liter) with very good results. Introduce  it how you wish, i just dump in the  calculated amount, sometimes  even during a water change and  have no problems.

How old are these fry? and are you treating because of a die off or just  as precaution?

I've only got two fry, I'm not exactly a big time breeder! :lol

One is 2-3 months old, and the other is about 6-8 weeks. Just treating as a precaution.

Here's a link to my fry thread if you're interested :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121262-kates-first-fry/

Well lucky you this year my oranda , koi and shubunkin did not produce even one egg. And  all my produce is reserved, big diaster.. so I  have only the telescope spawns   and thousands of guppy.  Only  two  fish,  should grow really  fast and big. 

Do the fish show indications of flukes?  If  just a prophylactic treatment, I wouldn't use salt.

Do the fish show indications of flukes?  If  just a prophylactic treatment, I wouldn't use salt.

Agreed. :)

Up front i would like to say i am never agreeing with a single ´best´ way to grow out a spawn.

In research i have found there a several ways to successfully grow out spawns depending on outdoors or indoors growout.

Outdoors

/ Green water: hard to maintain correctly but very high survival rate.

/ UV-C: easy to switch between indoors and outdoors.

Either way, mineral balance in the water is very important, use of clay, food supplements/

Indoors

/Prazi powder: I was very disappointed, yes it killed the flukes but it did harm the fish, at least this is my opinion.

/japanese method: Observe, high WC's +90% , weekly filter cleaning and use of salt. This is what i am using now together with UVC method in my ponds. The fish need plenty space though. May be alot of work but i have good results with this.

I personally would split up the fry and not bet on either ways of rearing fry, once youve collected experience you know what will be best!

Good luck!

On 7/14/2015 at 6:59 AM, Kate89 said:

I've only got two fry, I'm not exactly a big time breeder! :lol

One is 2-3 months old, and the other is about 6-8 weeks. Just treating as a precaution.

Here's a link to my fry thread if you're interested :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121262-kates-first-fry/

hey, i realize this thread is kind of old, but if u are still active I noticed that your fry are a few weeks apart. I have a few fry that are 10 days older than my newly hatched ones and i'm not sure if they can live together peacefully without being eaten? Did you put your newer fry immediately in the tank with your older fry? or did you wait until their size got bigger?

This member hasn't been on for several months so I doubt she will answer any time soon.  In general, if the smaller fry can fit in the larger fry's mouth, keep them separate or they will be lunch. :o