Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

My Goldfishnet experience.. What an expensive mistake!

The other thing to remember is that sick and dead fish do occasionally happen in even the most fastidious fish rooms - but there are a number of responsible, caring sellers who handle that much better than what happened here. We want to drive business to those who have business policies that are exemplary, I think that is very important because it is a competitive market.

The man I'm receiving fish from has a DOA policy that doesn't even include pictures, just an email and he sends replacements and covers a portion of the shipping cost. Things like that, or sellers who will take back any fish for any reason, are ones we want to support and let their quality be known. Many people have purchased good stock from Tommy, many haven't. That needs to be something the public evaluates (caveat emptor) but they need honest reviews to do so. I appreciate you making this known so it can be one more data point used to help people assess where they get their fish.

I am so sorry to hear what you went through. :( I'm glad you were able to get things worked out through PayPal. It just really stinks that the fish had to suffer and you had to go through all that.  :hug 

I have a question after reading everything though, if anyone can help... 

They found KHV at the San Diego koi show linked to this vendor. I bought a goldfish from him AT that show where there were clearly some infected stock (though it was a goldfish I bought not a koi, but I'm sure cross contamination was possible). I have not seen any sort of symptoms, but it sounds like fish can carry this without symptoms. Do you think I have cause for concern? 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I am so sorry to hear what you went through. :( I'm glad you were able to get things worked out through PayPal. It just really stinks that the fish had to suffer and you had to go through all that.  :hug 

I have a question after reading everything though, if anyone can help... 

They found KHV at the San Diego koi show linked to this vendor. I bought a goldfish from him AT that show where there were clearly some infected stock (though it was a goldfish I bought not a koi, but I'm sure cross contamination was possible). I have not seen any sort of symptoms, but it sounds like fish can carry this without symptoms. Do you think I have cause for concern? 

Im no one to answer your question.. I have no knowledge about KHV whatsoever

however, I emailed, "r/koi jack" Chairman KCSD 2015 Koi Show with the same question, the same day my fish arrived.

His exact answer was: "There's no reported issues with goldfish from his booth"

At the same time a user (on goldfish keepers) named "blue belly" (for what I read, he's an expert) said that goldfish can carry the KHV disease and not be ill themselves

That's all I can pitch in.. sorry :(

Edited by 210 Oranda

Some people have reported that goldfish can carry KHV but do not get sick from it.  Thomas Waltzek, who gave a seminar at the local Koi and Goldfish Show, says his lab has assayed many exposed goldfish for KHV and has never found the virus.  Since his research specialty is viruses that infect aquatic animals,  I'll believe him on this, and I'll believe Bluebelly over just about anyone else when he's talking about goldfish breeding and genetics.

That is my understanding, too. They can be carriers and pass it along to other Koi, but most pathogens are very host-specific and this is one of them. Koi hpv is a huge risk to the koi population, but as of yet it is not something that has affected goldfish.

Dr. Waltzek concludes that goldfish do not carry KHV.  They do have some of their own viruses though.  

In terms of controlling the spread in this country that is excellent news if it is conclusive from his tests.

Thank you all for the information. I am glad to hear it is not something I have to worry about. 

Thank you for posting your review.  

Wow, I'm really sorry you had to go through all that! I bought a pompom from GoldfishNet who was and still is in excellent health, but that was over a year ago. From your and others' stories, it does sound like the quality has gone downhill.

The only thing I found odd when I bought my pompom was that Tommy recommended I treat her for parasites. I found this strange because I was also buying fish at the same time from Dandy Orandas and Rain Garden. Both of those suppliers advised me NOT to administer any medications, because their fish undergo extensive quarantine, testing and treatment if necessary prior to shipping. It sounds like Tommy's process isn't nearly as rigorous. In the future I will stick with RG and DO; my experience with them was fantastic and they have near-universally positive reviews. In addition, they were very honest and responsive, and the fish were healthy and beautiful upon arrival. Sounds like I got lucky with GoldfishNet by buying my fish before all the problems started.

Sometimes I wonder who are the people buying these expensive fish off of that site, when a quick google search brings up many bad reviews. (As noted on GoldfishKeepers). 

So sorry to hear about the stress you are dealing with as a result of this.  :(

Edited by Luna

Sometimes I wonder who are the people buying these expensive fish off of that site, when a quick google search brings up many bad reviews. (As noted on GoldfishKeepers).

So sorry to hear about the stress you are dealing with as a result of this. :(

Probably people who have bought fish from them in the past. If I'm buying from a new supplier, I research them heavily, but if I bought from them in the past and was pleased with my purchase I generally don't research them again to see if anything has changed. Maybe I should, but I don't think most people do this. I wouldn't have had a clue about the current problems with GoldfishNet if I hadn't read about them here.

Thank you for your review.

You went through a lot during all of that. :(  I'm so sorry for the loss of all of your fish.

Thank you for your review.

You went through a lot during all of that. :(  I'm so sorry for the loss of all of your fish.

Thanks..

I know.. Even when I read bad things about Tommy (after the purchase) I wasn't expecting to have 3 fish dying within a 24hr period.. that's not normal

Such a beautiful fish dead from day one

His fish are kept in outdoor ponds so they'll carry whatever mother nature brings

If some of you couldn't see the (goldfish keepers) links because an account is needed..

just PLEASE do your research prior to purchase if you're planning to..

Probably people who have bought fish from them in the past. If I'm buying from a new supplier, I research them heavily, but if I bought from them in the past and was pleased with my purchase I generally don't research them again to see if anything has changed. Maybe I should, but I don't think most people do this. I wouldn't have had a clue about the current problems with GoldfishNet if I hadn't read about them here.

Right. Well, I mean, the goldfish community is pretty tight-knit. I wonder where these people are that are buying his $300 fish. They don't really seem to be vocal or apart of any community as I never see reviews, YouTube videos, or comments on his fish. Whereas places like Dandys, I just have to YouTube Dandy videos and there are dozens of reviews. 

Any update on your tele?

Right. Well, I mean, the goldfish community is pretty tight-knit. I wonder where these people are that are buying his $300 fish. They don't really seem to be vocal or apart of any community as I never see reviews, YouTube videos, or comments on his fish. Whereas places like Dandys, I just have to YouTube Dandy videos and there are dozens of reviews.

I'm one of them and you can see my comments about it in the thread at Goldfish Keepers. Not sure I understand what you're getting at?

I'm one of them and you can see my comments about it in the thread at Goldfish Keepers. Not sure I understand what you're getting at?

One thread does not represent 10+ fish being sold a week. my comment is pretty straight forward. People will keep buying his fish until people start speaking up about the bad quality. 

In the past, reviews show people were getting good fish from him. It seems that only recently people have encountered problems with the health of the fish they bought. Tommy has compounded the problem with the way he handles complaints and problems.

I don't know what else a person can do, other than share their experience when they have one. Which is what I did in the hopes it might help someone else.

Any update on your tele?

I guess I didn't say it but Paypal required all the fish to be returned to the seller for the refund to be honored, including the surviving one.

It was really hard to send him back knowing that he was (most likely) gonna die in the box but when having 3 (already) dead fish

and seeing this one with blood scales flaking off and more cysts on him I knew that I wasn't gonna be able to save him so I had no choice.. :(

One thread does not represent 10+ fish being sold a week. my comment is pretty straight forward. People will keep buying his fish until people start speaking up about the bad quality. 

You're automatically assuming all 10+ sold weekly are dead or dying, and that may not be the case. :idont

I hate to bump an old thread and I won't say what the OP said isn't true, but 210Orandas seems to actually have something up with his water quality, as the seller originally said. Many, many fish have suspiciously died in his care and many come from reputable sellers. Its something to be taken into account before discrediting this seller, or any others that have sold to the OP.

In the case of this seller it isn't an isolated incident by a long shot - there are issues on multiple fronts. Just FYI :)

Got it. I was just saying.