Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

My Goldfishnet experience.. What an expensive mistake!

If you think this fish below looks like a $200 fish (w/ship).. then there’s not point for you to keep reading.

20150604_221655_zpsxv0l5hij.jpg

20150618_131522_zpsnshktqyx.jpg

Im not trying to start any drama neither trying to trash no one’s name, I just want to express my experience with Goldfishnet & Tommy Hui (owner) so you can (or should) do your research before wasting hours and hundreds of dollars like I did.

I was looking at some of the internet GF retailers (DandyOrandas, Goldfishnet, EastCoast, RainGarden, etc) for several months before making the move.. It was just hard for me to justify spending $400 for 3 fish when Im used to the $10 LFS.

I couldn’t deny that the “looks & colors” of the imports (Dandy & Goldfishnet)  was superior to the US bred ones so by the end of April I decided to contact Goldfishnet looking for some juvies..

I thought that if they were selling an adult for $140 maybe I could get 2 or 3 juvies for the same price.

I was told that quality “juvies” were hard to find and I didn’t wanted to wait so I ended up buying the tele-butterfly you see above along with an adult and a small ranchu.

My tab ended up being $400 for 3 fish but as a good “sales individual” I bargain down to $340…

After payment I did not receive an email regarding “acclimating & quarantine” for the fish so email the seller and he replied minutes before the fish arrived.

On his email the seller mention that there was “a little snag”.. Supposedly the butterfly I bought was put on a laundry basket for too long (because of my request of holding it for a few days so I could buy more fish) so “that” isolation caused the butterfly to have several tears on its tail. So he decided to send an extra fish in compensation…. And this is where the FUN begins..

When I opened the box I noticed that ALL FOUR fish were in the same bag.. the bag wasn’t full of air (oxygen) neither it was a kordon (breathing) bag so I got a little nervous about ALL FOUR fish being in a 9 inch bag for 24hrs without an adequate amount of oxygen.. But since Im not expert I said, “well he knows better”..

When opening the bag I noticed that there were some scales on the water and that there was indeed another fish that I now had to take care of..  I wasn’t planning to quarantine 4 fish neither I had the right size tank for them so I had to buy a bigger QT tank because of the “thoughtful seller” that didn’t asked if I had the room for an extra fish..  

Now that I released them into their new (QT) home I had the time to careful look at them and see their behavior.

20150605_194550_zps3xhsrkrf.jpg

The “little snag” the seller was talking about was NOT little at all.. That beautiful tele I purchased was really beat up!!..  Tail and pelvic were completely shredded and he had an ulcer near the vent..

The red/white adult ranchu arrived with what it seemed to be ammonia burn.. several black spots all over the wen and missing scales

The little jetblack ranchu had no eyes or at least I couldn’t find where the “eye socket” should be. After doing research I found that it is normal for (throughout) black rachus to have no (or tiny useless) eyes..  So great!.. now I have a fish that I have to carefully feed so he gets his share..  No planned either

The extra butterfly he sent it seemed to be ok.. just the usual stress we all expect when receiving mailed fish.

Obviously I emailed the seller regarding the “arrived conditions” of the fish but to my surprise he did not accepted any wrongdoing.

He said that sending 4 or more fish in the same bag is normal for him. He also said that there was not ulcer on the tele.. and that it could’ve been fine if I didn’t ask to hold it for extra days.

He said that the black spots on the red/white ranchu were caused by medications and that the black ranchu did have eyes but they were covered by the wen.

He finalized saying that he ships 15-20 boxes per week and that I was the only one complaining.. “it must be my water quality”..

When I saw this email I knew this guy wasn’t gonna help neither replace any fish so I started to do some research on him and his fish..

First thing I find is that he sold some fish with HERPES at the San Diego Ca. show this year

http://goldfishkeepers.com/community/threads/khv-found-in-koi-from-goldfish-net.9241/

Then, looking further into this site (goldfishkeepers) I noticed that there was a lot of people complaining about his fish and the way he does business

http://goldfishkeepers.com/community/threads/quality-of-fish-on-goldfish-net-auction.6879/page-2

Knowing that I bought some "sick" fish I did the best I could to quarantine them properly..

But by the second day of prazi in the tank and the first dose of antibiotics I knew I was losing the battle.. 3 fish die consecutively

The one remaining (which was my beautiful tele) had a lot of difficulties when eating, had 3 cyst, shredded tail  and some red/blood scales flaking off..

I was truly terrified of bringing this fella into my main tank.. I mean, he could have something that could kill all my stock..

I don't know if I was the first person doing this (ever) but I ended up contacting the Better Business Bureau & Paypal to complain about the "purchase".. It was a long process and obviously the seller didn't want to pay but after the pressure, Paypal decided to have Goldfishnet give a full refund.

This experience was a really nightmare for me.. not only the extra money I had to spend to keep (or try to) this fish alive but to see such a beautiful fish having their lives doomed at the hands of a careless seller.. It is unfortunate

If you have experienced something similar.. DO YOUR PART AND EXPRESS YOUR VOICE!!.. you will be heard

Edited by 210 Oranda

Good for you.  I have read of this unscrupulous person for years on Goldfish Keepers.   Unfortunately, he imports some beautiful fish and there are plenty of people who haven't heard of his reputation to buy them.  It's interesting that on that 5 page thread you mentioned, a few people on the first page raved about the wonderful fish they got  from him all in perfect condition.  A page or two later, those same people were raving in a different way about  the sick and dying fish they got later.

Thank you for sharing and warning people. Provided it is fact based you cannot be pursued for legal action in a review of service, and it can be so helpful to other buyers. I'm sorry you went through such stress and heartache over this, I know you tried so hard to help the, and make it work :(

Your new fish are gorgeous and ECR has a longstanding reputation of upholding warantee and standing behind her fish. No transaction is guaranteed to be perfect but how hiccups and trouble are handled by the seller says a whole lot.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you for this review. I'm so sorry that you and the fishies went through this experience.

Your review will be helpful for others. I'm going to move this review to the Classifieds section under Online Vendor Review. I'll leave a link in this discussion thread.

Thanks again!

What a shame. The last time I purchased from Tommy was about four, four and a half years ago. In fact, that particular ranchu just passed away recently, which is about the lifespan I personally expect from very large imported fancies obtained as adults (somewhere between 5 and 7 years max). The others I had bought from him previously did well too.

Sounds like things have really gone downhill! Good to know -- I won't be so quick to pipe up with my good feedback when somebody inquires about him. I'm sorry to hear about your awful experience. Such a shame. Such pretty fish.

Thank you for sharing and warning people. Provided it is fact based you cannot be pursued for legal action in a review of service, and it can be so helpful to other buyers. I'm sorry you went through such stress and heartache over this, I know you tried so hard to help the, and make it work :(

Your new fish are gorgeous and ECR has a longstanding reputation of upholding warantee and standing behind her fish. No transaction is guaranteed to be perfect but how hiccups and trouble are handled by the seller says a whole lot.

I know I have said it before but I want to thank you again Taryl..!! :)

You and Jared were my "cloth of tears" when I couldn't say anything publicly.

I know we tried really hard to get those guys to a better shape.. It is unfortunate that they didn't..  

I know we (forum hobbyists) are a very small percentage of all the people that buy GF online in the country.. I just hope people do their research before spending their dollars..  

Thank you for this review. I'm so sorry that you and the fishies went through this experience.

Your review will be helpful for others. I'm going to move this review to the Classifieds section under Online Vendor Review. I'll leave a link in this discussion thread.

Thanks again!

Do you think this thread will have the same exposure here at "Classifieds" that where it was ??

I really wanted this to have the most exposure possible

Koko told me herself that there's not much traffic here and also the numbers cant lie..

23,000+ threads on General discussion (vs) 600+ threads on classifieds..

I know you're leaving a link in "General discussion" but I think it will be left behind (without attention) once others start new threads

just my  :twocents 

Good question. By having it in the review thread it will be easier to find in the future.

I think that when someone responds to your thread here, the link in the Discussion thread will indicate new posts. I need to check that out though.

Yay, it is not showing new posts is the link in the Discussion thread. I'll move it back to the discussion thread.

Can you do me a favor and copy and paste your review in the review thread? It would be good to have this review there also.

Yay, it is not showing new posts is the link in the Discussion thread. I'll move it back to the discussion thread.

Can you do me a favor and copy and paste your review in the review thread? It would be good to have this review there also.

Thank you!..

Will do.. right away!

I gotta figure out how to unmove something. If I don't get this moved tonight, I'll fix in the morning. Sorry about that.

I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience! How awful :( Those poor fish too :( Thanks for warning others!

I really really hating hearing this cause I have a fish coming from him this Wednesday. 

I'm glad that you chose to take action.

I'm sorry you had this experience and even more sorry that I couldn't help you save these fish.  We certainly tried :(

I've moved it back. Sorry for the delay.

Wow - what an awful thing to go through - for you and those poor goldies!   I am so sorry that three didn't make it through the ordeal but I hope your tele-butterfly heals and it looks like it has the promise of being quite a pretty fish (maybe not the stunner you were promised but handsome none the less). 

I am glad you pursued filing a complaint with the BBB and PayPal - this will help future buyers in the future if they check the reputation prior to buying so big Kudos to you for that!

Ok guys this does need to go to the reviews.... Or if you like the Horror Stories... :thumbup2:

I remember when these arrived. Such a shame on so many levels. You're a very conscientious fish keeper. I hope this experience doesn't lower your confidence in your abilities.

I hope this helps several people and I'm sorry you had to go through it. :(

Ok guys this does need to go to the reviews.... Or if you like the Horror Stories... :thumbup2:

I vote for reviews. I believe this review is quite valuable and others who are wondering about other online vendors should know about this. Online Vendor Reviews is where we have such things.

I remember when these arrived. Such a shame on so many levels. You're a very conscientious fish keeper. I hope this experience doesn't lower your confidence in your abilities.

I hope this helps several people and I'm sorry you had to go through it. :(

Thanks Lisa!!.. :D

I wouldn't be here without your help (and patience w/ me :wall )

I vote for reviews. I believe this review is quite valuable and others who are wondering about other online vendors should know about this. Online Vendor Reviews is where we have such things.

Well.. you guys are the driver.. Im just a passenger.. :P

Hopefully it doesn't get ignored here with the low traffic

I only look at "new posts" and I bet that's what most people do so I wouldn't worry about what forum it is in.

I only look at "new posts" and I bet that's what most people do so I wouldn't worry about what forum it is in.

Yup. Same here. Im sure many many other people are the same. "View new content"

I've never ordered a goldfish online, but I wanted to echo the other responses that this sounds absolutely like a total nightmare for you and the fish. Such callousness on the part of the seller toward his fish and the basic refusal of accountability for his product (my diction is not to take away from the fact that he trafficks in living beings) are unacceptable.

I am very glad that you have taken action via proper channels. Thank you for sharing this experience.