Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
QandD

Goldfish ate some Aqua-Prazi?

I've recently dosed my fish with the powder form of Praziquantel (Aqua-Prazi in this case), and as I expected, I couldn't get it to dissolve completely. I'd read that it would dissolve eventually, though, so I poured it in after shaking it with water. (I don't keep alcohol in the house, so the vodka trick wasn't an option for me, nor do I have a blender.) However, I think that my fish, in their zeal, may have eaten a granule or two. Should I be very concerned? They're not in the throws of despair but seem kind of out of it and gulp-y (though they have been gulp-y before, which is why I'm trying the powder form of prazi instead of PraziPro this time). 

Mostly just curious about the safety of a fish eating a bit of prazi. Thanks!

Edited by QandD

Totally harmless.  And bonus:  Any internal worms will get knocked flat and pooped out as a result of ingesting the prazi.  Woot!

I doubt they ate any.  People have tried to produce medicated food containing prazi, but the stuff tastes so bad that fish won't eat it.  

I use the powder and it never dissolves completely before I add it.  The fish peck at it, but it never seems to bother them :)

I use the vodka trick, but only add about 3 drops from one of those 99-cent bottles to make it dissolve into a white slurry before adding water, then adding the mixture to the tank. I mix it in a small plastic bag rather than a blender. Even with my method, there are always a couple of hard pieces that don't dissolve. The fish do peck at them but I'm pretty sure they spit them out.