Kokos Goldfish Forum
MT28

Introducing a new fish into the main tank

So today is day 27, the end of round five of prazi and, if all goes smoothly, I'm planning to introduce my shubunkin, Cosette (who I have a thread about here) into the main tank this coming Friday (QT day 33). I'm a little nervous that my existing fish, Kaji, will bully her since he hasn't lived with other fish since I got him as a tiny 1/2" fish from the fair almost 2 years ago and is also much bigger than her (about 7" sl to her 4" and much more rotund). 

So, here's what I plan to do based on what I've read from other threads and I was wondering if anyone has anything to add:

-mix some of the MT water into the the QT with every daily WC. The QT is 20 gal and I did a 16gal (80%) WC today and added 2gal from Kaji's tank. I was thinking of increasing by 2 gallons or 10% every day (i.e. 4,6, 8 until Friday).

-right before adding Cosette, feed Kaji so he will be less aggressive

-right before adding Cosette, do a large WC in the MT

-right before adding Cosette, rearrange the decor in tank so Kaji will be less territorial

Since when I got Cosette she was severely underweight, I've been feeding her 6 small meals a day, whereas I usually feed Kaji 3 larger meals a day. Should I start adjusting Cosette to the three meals a day schedule so she'll be ready for it when she goes into the main tank? I'm probably over-worried, but I want to maximize the chance that they'll get along, especially because I'm going away for two weeks the first week of August so only have 2 weeks to make sure they're okay before I leave them in my boyfriend's care.

If the water source is the same, I rearrange a few plants, do a big water change, turn off the lights, and dump the new fish in. I turn the lights back on and feed everyone the next morning. Life goes on.

You're a sweet goldfish owner, but I do believe you are overthinking this. A lot. :teehee

To be completely honest all I do is make sure the temp is the same as they were in QT and put them in :rofl: Sometimes a few guys swim up to say hello then leave them alone while they explore

:teehee at myself. Yes, I do have a tendency to overthink things just a little bit.  Hearing this makes me feel so much better though!

To be completely honest all I do is make sure the temp is the same as they were in QT and put them in :rofl: Sometimes a few guys swim up to say hello then leave them alone while they explore

Same here I just dump em in :D

Don't forget to do a round or two of prazi when you add the new fish to the main tank. (You did prazi the fish that is in the main tank as well at some point, correct?

Don't forget to do a round or two of prazi when you add the new fish to the main tank. (You did prazi the fish that is in the main tank as well at some point, correct?

I actually just did two maintenance rounds on the main tank three weeks ago--so I probably don't need to prazi the main tank again for a while, right?

I actually just did two maintenance rounds on the main tank three weeks ago--so I probably don't need to prazi the main tank again for a while, right?

As long as it's been that short of a period of time, no.

I can think of one time (out of dozens) when anything happened that I didn't like when introducing a fish to a new tank after quarantine.  The new guy was smaller than any already in the tank, and he chased the others mercilessly for an hour. His new tank mates hid the best they could to get away from the harassment.  He had been totally obsessed with his reflection in the quarantine tank, so I knew he wanted companions.    When I came with a net to put the little brat back in solitary, he had calmed down and swam peacefully around the tank, and all the other guys had come out of hiding.  The lonely little dude had no social skills, and had chosen a poor way to make new friends.