Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
QandD

Ammonia reading is.. orange?

8 posts in this topic

I tested the ammonia of my main tank after dosing it with plain ammonia last night, and my reading was.. orange? I have the API master kit, so this was baffling to me. I extra rinsed the test tubes, and used different ones: orange both times.

I fairly recently had PP in my tank to sterilize it and then oxidized out the remainder after a 50% WC with hydrogen peroxide. I let it sit with the filters on for several hours before dosing ammonia. I guess a big water change is in order? I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen this and what it might be.

No picture? Positive it was the ammonia test bottles? Nitrate could be orange.

Definitely ammonia. Double checked. It's freshly fishless cycling, too, so I doubt there are nitrates.

Test your tap or another tank and see what you get.

how old is the Ammonia kit which you used?

Mystery kind of solved, I think: there must have been some residual PP or something in the main tank, because everything was back to normal today. I also used the ammonia drops on my QT to see if they were still working, and they do. The drops were only a few months old, so I was particularly confused. Thanks for the suggestions!

Those test tubes can hold a surprising amount of residue in a ring in the bottom!

Yeah, it was weird: the tubes were all clean. I think the tank itself needed more time before being tested.