• * Ammonia Level(Tap) .50ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0-.25ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 78*F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, 6 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 API M canister filters
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 80% once every 5-7 days
  •  How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6/28- 80% & today (7/3)- 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldfish: 1 ranchu, 1 telescope, and 1 tele pearlscale
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3 times a day/ Repashy Solient Green in morning and bloodworms for dinner. Sometimes a little NLS Thera A or Hikari lionhead thrown in too.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I did 3 rounds of prazi and two weeks of 0.3% salt recently.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed fins. A little spot of redness on tail too.

My tele pearlscale has had frayed fins since I got her months ago (from DO). I started with just clean water for a few weeks, didn’t really help much. So I recently did 3 rounds of prazi and two weeks of 0.3% salt on my main tank. Her fraying went totally away during the two weeks of salt. As soon as I took the salt out, the fraying started again. It’s just been getting worse everyday. She has fraying on her tail, pelvic fins, and now a slit on her pectoral fin. I’m wondering if it’s fin rot since it came back after the salt…?

Picture below—circled the redness and slit in pectoral fin.

f14a9a70-ef40-46b0-9b52-a5be71e8b1c7_zps

What brand/type of prazi did you use? Powder or liquid?

Has the area of the redness changed in size or shade of red? Or has it looked the same since you noticed it?  The "redness" on the tail doesn't look red on my screen . . . 

I use the liquid prazi-- this stuff: http://www.petmountain.com/product/internal-parasite-aquarium-medications/11442-504920/hikari-hikari-prazipro-for-freshwater-and-marine-aquariums.html

And no, it hasn't changed much. I thought it was a orange spot coming in at first since she's calico, but it looks more red to me. It's hard to see in the pic. It could be orange coming in-- I'll just keep an eye on it! 

What can I do for the fraying though? Do you think it's flukes and I should do a few more rounds of prazi on her? I just thought it was weird that the fraying went away with the salt, then came back when I stopped the salt. 

What kind of decor is in the tank? Is it possible the fraying could be mechanical instead of pathogenic? If it got better with salt with is a bit unusual if there are no other symptoms.

Edited by Arctic Mama

What kind of decor is in the tank? Is it possible the fraying could be mechanical instead of pathogenic? If it got better with salt with is a bit unusual if there are no other symptoms.

I have two silk plants, some smooth rocks, and a thin layer of sand on the bottom. She seems normal besides the fin problem. 

When you have your salt at 0.3%, you need to double dose the Prazi. Did you?

Hope she feels better. I have no advice, but will be following this thread because all my fish have light fraying on their fins, despite otherwise excellent health and Prazi treatments (I use the powdered Aqua Prazi, and my fish do not show any other signs of fluke infestation, such as yawning). I was worried it might have something to do with my driftwood (which doesn't have sharp pieces, but you never know), but since you only have smooth decor, I'm interested to see what others identify to be the cause of the frayed fins.

Sometimes it is mechanical, and sometimes I think it is just random! Bacteria and parasites can definitely cause fraying, but I've also seen it in perfectly healthy fish.

Edited by Arctic Mama

When you have your salt at 0.3%, you need to double dose the Prazi. Did you?

I did the three rounds of prazi without any salt, then started the salt after the third round was over. 

Sometimes it is mechanical, and sometimes I think it is just random! Bacteria and parasites can definitely cause fraying, but I've also seen it in perfectly healthy fish.

I'm wondering if it's just the way she is… I went back and looked at her pictures from DO, and I can see some fraying on her fins even then. When I look at the DO pic and her current pic side by side, it looks like it's in the same spots just a little more progressed now. 

I hope it's okay to post the DO pic here… Just wanted to show what I was looking at. 

DSC_0892_zpswnoe7bm9.jpg

f14a9a70-ef40-46b0-9b52-a5be71e8b1c7_zps

What do you think?

I've had some problems with silk plants, despite their apparent silkiness, since they're often built with wire or very stiff "veins." Do your fish have long tails and fins? If you'd be up to it, you might consider some anubias or java fern, which I have not ever seen hurt a fish.

I've had some problems with silk plants, despite their apparent silkiness, since they're often built with wire or very stiff "veins." Do your fish have long tails and fins? If you'd be up to it, you might consider some anubias or java fern, which I have not ever seen hurt a fish.

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about! I used to have a big silk plant with wires in it-- I ended up taking it out. These two are pretty soft and flowy. I think they're okay. This is my first goldie with long-ish fins, so I've been trying to be careful with that kind of stuff. My other two fish have short fins, and they've never had any fraying. I'd definitely love to have real plants… Maybe some day! 

I think taking the plant out is a good move.  I'd just keep an eye on it and keep your water pristine.  If you'd like salt to 0.1% but I don't know that it's necessary.  :D

No advice, Just wanted to say your pearlie is adorable! Love the telescope eyes

I think taking the plant out is a good move.  I'd just keep an eye on it and keep your water pristine.  If you'd like salt to 0.1% but I don't know that it's necessary.   :D

Okay, sounds like a plan.  I'll keep an eye on her! Thanks-- I won't worry as much now.  :rolleyes: