Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rijen

breeding problem

HI everybody,

Today i need your help again. Hope you guys will definitely find a solution.

Few days before i recognized that i have 2 female and 2 male goldfishes in my tank when i saw chasing behavior so i tried hand spawning with a single couple , everything was so perfect but i made a mistake that i tried to pour the eggs to 5 gallon tank since the eggs were in bucket and i lost all the eggs.

Now, yesterday again i saw a chasing behavior so i planned to retry. But the problem is, among two male non of them have milt inside so what to do? Please help me i dont want to wait untill next season ,Because i know and i am sure one of  a female have more than 1000 eggs with her  cause she is big in size with round belly chasen by both male but since she is so big and males are smaller then her they are not being able till yet only two eggs i have seen but infertlie. I have not taken any eggs from her before myself.

Questions:

how many days may take to form milt inside male again?

How to boost male to form milt again?

Is this not possible this time?

This is just me, but I refuse to hand spawn unless it is necessary as in a life or death situation with the fish because of how easy it is to harm the fish

I'm not sure how to make the male form milt, but like I said above, I would advise against hand spawning and let it happen naturally. Others will be by and will be able to answer your questions more thoroughly than I can.

This is just me, but I refuse to hand spawn unless it is necessary as in a life or death situation with the fish because of how easy it is to harm the fish

I'm not sure how to make the male form milt, but like I said above, I would advise against hand spawning and let it happen naturally. Others will be by and will be able to answer your questions more thoroughly than I can.

Yes i really agree with you but there is no other way except hand spawning cause my female is nearly thrice than male so as far as i think there is no possibility to happen naturally, those tiny guys can not even push her. :no:

Buy a good male with breeding stars?

You could also try and seperate the males and female so the males regain a milt supply, but small males do have little milt. If at all, and a chasing male is not allways fertile. If it has breeding stars it is though.

If you are set on breeding these fish, you will need a male that is fertile and large enough to breed with your females. It is also important to have an end-goal of what kind of babies you would like the fish to produce. This is important so that you know that there will be a market for the babies you ultimately will want to sell. Currently, from what I have seen of your stock, I am not sure what end-goal you have. 

If you are set on breeding these fish, you will need a male that is fertile and large enough to breed with your females. It is also important to have an end-goal of what kind of babies you would like the fish to produce. This is important so that you know that there will be a market for the babies you ultimately will want to sell. Currently, from what I have seen of your stock, I am not sure what end-goal you have. 

Actually breeding has been my dream for 3 years and i am getting closer to it, that's what i think. I have not been thinking to sell fishes and make money but it has been a great passion for me now.  As soon as i will raise the fry for 1 month am gonna get a 75 gallon tank and keep those kids in it. If i see any people interested capable to keep them i will give them as a present. Regardless lets talk about how would be my kids ' chelsea you have seen my fishes Male "Tattey" who is "telescope fantail calico" and female "Nakaali" who is oranda with pretty good wen and female "Aanday" who is egg shaped  ranchu would make a good combination  i think so. Chelsea you are such a smart girl with good experience so plz tell me what i should do, your suggestions will be appreciated deeply.

Actually breeding has been my dream for 3 years and i am getting closer to it, that's what i think. I have not been thinking to sell fishes and make money but it has been a great passion for me now.  As soon as i will raise the fry for 1 month am gonna get a 75 gallon tank and keep those kids in it. If i see any people interested capable to keep them i will give them as a present. Regardless lets talk about how would be my kids ' chelsea you have seen my fishes Male "Tattey" who is "telescope fantail calico" and female "Nakaali" who is oranda with pretty good wen and female "Aanday" who is egg shaped  ranchu would make a good combination  i think so. Chelsea you are such a smart girl with good experience so plz tell me what i should do, your suggestions will be appreciated deeply.

A 75 gallon tank would only have room for at maximum four babies when they reach the size of young adults. This is something to be prepared for, since goldfish can have hundreds of babies at a time, although not all of the babies will survive. You will need to do some serious culling to get down to 3 or 4 that you like. 

I am not sure what you are looking to get in the end if you cross those three types of goldfish. Could you explain, please?

Know that goldfish genetics are extremely complicated. You will not be able to cross a telescope, an oranda, and a ranchu and just come up with the traits of all three. Since only two fish mate at any given time, you will need to breed multiple times to get fish with the visible traits you need, raise them, and then breed the offspring together until you get what you like. Most of the fish that will come from these spawns will either be mutts or plain fantail-type goldfish without any visible traits of their parents.

Some traits take longer to develop, as well. For example: the telescope eye trait can take weeks to months to develop to maturity, since the babies are all born with normal eyes and the eyes don't swell immediately. Wens are the same way. It can take months to find out if an Oranda fry or Ranchu fry has the wen size and shape you are looking for. By then you are looking at having at least a few dozen fish that may have that trait, before you find one that does. Where will you house them all? 

Edited by ChelseaM

A 75 gallon tank would only have room for at maximum four babies when they reach the size of young adults. This is something to be prepared for, since goldfish can have hundreds of babies at a time, although not all of the babies will survive. You will need to do some serious culling to get down to 3 or 4 that you like. 

I am not sure what you are looking to get in the end if you cross those three types of goldfish. Could you explain, please?

Know that goldfish genetics are extremely complicated. You will not be able to cross a telescope, an oranda, and a ranchu and just come up with the traits of all three. Since only two fish mate at any given time, you will need to breed multiple times to get fish with the visible traits you need, raise them, and then breed the offspring together until you get what you like. Most of the fish that will come from these spawns will either be mutts or plain fantail-type goldfish without any visible traits of their parents.

Some traits take longer to develop, as well. For example: the telescope eye trait can take weeks to months to develop to maturity, since the babies are all born with normal eyes and the eyes don't swell immediately. Wens are the same way. It can take months to find out if an Oranda fry or Ranchu fry has the wen size and shape you are looking for. By then you are looking at having at least a few dozen fish that may have that trait, before you find one that does. Where will you house them all? 

you are right chelsea i have not thougt about these all.. So what should i do any suggestions or i should wait for natural spawning since i am just available for few hours at home with them i wont be able to save those eggs of natural spawn and will those eggs be fertile since my tank holds lot of water in it?

My biggest suggestion to you would be to step back and do more planning before continuing. You need to have a large knowledge base and resources before embarking on a large project like this.

Fish spawn on ponds, so water volume doesn't have much bearing.

Hi Rijen, I had the same problem and it is so incredibly frustrating to not have eggs hatch ... in my case, over and over again with trying multiple things (hand spawning, transferring eggs to a bucket or mesh basket, airstone/no airstone, using spawning mops ... you get the picture). I finally concluded that my male was practically infertile, and borrowed a male fish from my boyfriend. Within less than 24 hours, the newly introduced male was spawning with ALL my females.

I took out as many eggs as I could and transferred them to a bucket, and added an airstone and methylene blue (but no heater; I honestly wasn't expecting any to hatch). The rest of the eggs were left in the main tank with the adults. Yes, many got eaten, but 4 days later I was surprised to find about 25 small fry stuck to the walls! I scooped them up with a wine glass and transferred them to a mesh basket, which I floated in the main tank. Once they became free-swimming, I fed them BBS from Brine Shrimp Direct, hatched in a Tupperware container floating in the tank due to the small number of fry. A few weeks later, I moved the fry to their own tank with a sponge filter.

The fry in the bucket did not fare so well. They hatched a week later, and many had severe defects. I think I only got two from the bucket, and they were both much smaller than the ones from the tank. I know this is odd, but I think from now on I'm just going to let the fish spawn on their own, and leave the eggs in the main tank until they hatch and I can collect the fry ... it's not like I have room for thousands of fry anyway. I just feel like they did better with less meddling from me. My fry are almost 4 months old now, and with the exception of a runt I'm trying to feed separately and one with a swim bladder problem I'll probably have to cull, they are doing fantastic! :)

Edited by *Amanda*

I had a goldfish for 10 years only spawned twice and only got one fish that did die of swim bladder issues..... I think some fish just done want to mate :rofl

Hi Rijen, I had the same problem and it is so incredibly frustrating to not have eggs hatch ... in my case, over and over again with trying multiple things (hand spawning, transferring eggs to a bucket or mesh basket, airstone/no airstone, using spawning mops ... you get the picture). I finally concluded that my male was practically infertile, and borrowed a male fish from my boyfriend. Within less than 24 hours, the newly introduced male was spawning with ALL my females.

I took out as many eggs as I could and transferred them to a bucket, and added an airstone and methylene blue (but no heater; I honestly wasn't expecting any to hatch). The rest of the eggs were left in the main tank with the adults. Yes, many got eaten, but 4 days later I was surprised to find about 25 small fry stuck to the walls! I scooped them up with a wine glass and transferred them to a mesh basket, which I floated in the main tank. Once they became free-swimming, I fed them BBS from Brine Shrimp Direct, hatched in a Tupperware container floating in the tank due to the small number of fry. A few weeks later, I moved the fry to their own tank with a sponge filter.

The fry in the bucket did not fare so well. They hatched a week later, and many had severe defects. I think I only got two from the bucket, and they were both much smaller than the ones from the tank. I know this is odd, but I think from now on I'm just going to let the fish spawn on their own, and leave the eggs in the main tank until they hatch and I can collect the fry ... it's not like I have room for thousands of fry anyway. I just feel like they did better with less meddling from me. My fry are almost 4 months old now, and with the exception of a runt I'm trying to feed separately and one with a swim bladder problem I'll probably have to cull, they are doing fantastic! :)

Amanda you solved my questions I will do as you have done, I was totally frustrated because i have been trying to breed goldfish many years before but now  i  am freshen up hearing your story. GOd bless you and fishanity. 

I have noticed my fish don't mate much if at all inside but put them outside in the spring and boom its on...

i have started hatching brine shrimp which i purchased for fry but i started to feed them to my goldfishes and they are so much happy. Brine shrimp was not available here in Nepal few years back but finally i got a egg by S.K trading company. First attempt was unsuccessful with 24 hrs interval but second time i tried for 36 hours and i got lots of baby brine shrimp. Guys if you have any ideas abt brine shrimp plz post. It would be very helpful to us.

Last thing guys i wont give up. oneday i will master on it because i know Here in Nepal the weather is awesome most of us don't need Ac neither fan in summer, no heater nothing at all in winter.

I have noticed my fish don't mate much if at all inside but put them outside in the spring and boom its on...

I would have to agree with this.. My pond fish went in with my female orandas and wouldnt stop chasing them... and the tank boy wouldnt breed.... :o

i have started hatching brine shrimp which i purchased for fry but i started to feed them to my goldfishes and they are so much happy. Brine shrimp was not available here in Nepal few years back but finally i got a egg by S.K trading company. First attempt was unsuccessful with 24 hrs interval but second time i tried for 36 hours and i got lots of baby brine shrimp. Guys if you have any ideas abt brine shrimp plz post. It would be very helpful to us.

Last thing guys i wont give up. oneday i will master on it because i know Here in Nepal the weather is awesome most of us don't need Ac neither fan in summer, no heater nothing at all in winter.

Does the container of brine shrimp eggs say what the hatch rate is? The eggs i have now have a 99+% hatch rate; when I was having poor luck before I noticed the eggs I had bought from the local store only had a hatch rate of around 50% or less. I started out doing the standard water/soda bottle with an air pump*, but found that was giving me WAY more BBS than my fry could eat, so I started using the Tupperware container instead.

*My water bottle method was to cut the bottle 1/3 of the way from the bottom, and turn the bottle upside down, leaving the cap on. I then cut a piece of rigid airline tubing the height of the bottle, and attached it to flexible tubing that was attached to an air pump. I then added the warm water with the dissolved salt and sprinkled the brine shrimp eggs over the water. Finally, I put the bottle in my tank (which was heated to 75F) and floated it, anchoring it behind my heater cord to prevent it from tipping over. After the BBS had hatched, I used an eyedropper to collect them and feed them to my fry. This saved me from having to go out and buy a lamp, because the warm water in the tank provided heat while the tank light got the BBS to collect near the surface.

Edited by *Amanda*

I definitely agree here. That's why spawning only ever happens at my parents' place.