Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

river tank plants

As some of you know I am setting up a river tank and I am just wondering what aquatic and terrestrial plants I can use for this tank :) thanks

It's really hard to recommend plants without knowing how much light they'll get, artificial and sunlight.

Indoor house plants like pothos and maidenhair fern work for the terrestrial portion and are both undemanding in terms of light. Before I forget, bromeliads, orchids, peace lily and anthurium can all be used, but some will prefer to be placed higher up where it's less wet.

Edited by dan in aus

Really, I thought or orchids hate having wet feet :hmm

Hence the higher up part. :rofl

I'm probably thinking too vertical with some of the species. I suspect you're thinking more roots in water terrestrial?

Hence the higher up part. :rofl

I'm probably thinking too vertical with some of the species. I suspect you're thinking more roots in water terrestrial?

Sometimes, I don't have any idea what your saying :idont

:rofl2

Yes, I don't think orchids would like roots in water, but I've been known to be wrong :)

See, when I think terrestrial I think of various planting levels. Not quite to the extreme of this tank in a gallery here, but sort of low (roots in water), mid (doesn't mind being wet some of the time), upper (prefers being dry).

10346377_853443248030026_622985437399169

Prayer plant is a good plant for riparium type planting. Alocasia is also good. I have also seen juncus spiralis used. I also use arrowhead too, they grow very well just like the pothos will.

It's really hard to recommend plants without knowing how much light they'll get, artificial and sunlight.

Indoor house plants like pothos and maidenhair fern work for the terrestrial portion and are both undemanding in terms of light. Before I forget, bromeliads, orchids, peace lily and anthurium can all be used, but some will prefer to be placed higher up where it's less wet.

The tank us in direct sunlight for at least a few hours a day albut the lighting is rubbish it is one 15w bulb :(

As some of you know I am setting up a river tank and I am just wondering what aquatic and terrestrial plants I can use for this tank :) thanks

I've always liked papyrus, pachira, and umbrella plant.  They give off more of a jungle/tropical rainforest feeling though so I suppose it depends on what you're going for.  Calla lilies and iris do well in shallow water or moist water's edge so if you want some color other than green they might work as a good transition between "land and sea"  I've also heard many types of ferns do well.  I would think many of the native plants to the pacific northwest USA would do well since they are so often in moist, if not wet, soil.

I've also added pothos to my tank and it thrives!  I literally broke off some leaves from the plant and placed them in and the roots that sprouted out of them were insane.  It seems really hardy.

I always knew orchids as air plants...the roots typically grow above soil or rocks with just enough below to anchor themselves.  So I think you're right about the water...but hey, some other species are known to be terrestrial and do well in water so ya never know but I suspect these ones would likely just rot in too much water.

Edited by Reds12

I've always liked papyrus, pachira, and umbrella plant.  They give off more of a jungle/tropical rainforest feeling though so I suppose it depends on what you're going for.  Calla lilies and iris do well in shallow water or moist water's edge so if you want some color other than green they might work as a good transition between "land and sea"  I've also heard many types of ferns do well.  I would think many of the native plants to the pacific northwest USA would do well since they are so often in moist, if not wet, soil.

I've also added pothos to my tank and it thrives!  I literally broke off some leaves from the plant and placed them in and the roots that sprouted out of them were insane.  It seems really hardy.

I always knew orchids as air plants...the roots typically grow above soil or rocks with just enough below to anchor themselves.  So I think you're right about the water...but hey, some other species are known to be terrestrial and do well in water so ya never know but I suspect these ones would likely just rot in too much water.

Thanks I will look them up and I have heard of people adding pothos before how do you go about that??

Full sun is good. Means you can grow palm grass, which is gorgeous and goes absolutely nuts if not kept in check. :)

Just for clarity, I did not suggest orchids be kept with their roots in the water. Not all of the terrestrial plants have to have their roots in water, nor should they. The tank I posted is an example of that. If you want to try emergent aquatic plants, hydrocotyle and hygrophila difformis (wisteria) both do well at room humidity and are good at taking up nitrate.

Orchids would look nice mounted on wood above the tank. You could mount the wood above the tank so it receives the humidity from the water. It would need misting at the roots every few days but might just do well there.

Full sun is good. Means you can grow palm grass, which is gorgeous and goes absolutely nuts if not kept in check. :)

Just for clarity, I did not suggest orchids be kept with their roots in the water. Not all of the terrestrial plants have to have their roots in water, nor should they. The tank I posted is an example of that. If you want to try emergent aquatic plants, hydrocotyle and hygrophila difformis (wisteria) both do well at room humidity and are good at taking up nitrate.

Wisteria as in the stuff that also grows submerged as well??

Orchids would look nice mounted on wood above the tank. You could mount the wood above the tank so it receives the humidity from the water. It would need misting at the roots every few days but might just do well there.

I may try that but I'm not sure how I would get it to work where my tank is and how the tank is setup but I might still have a go!

One more question how do you know what types of plants are non toxic to fish??

All the ones i listed are non toxic to fish. Otherwise i have no clue =]

All the ones i listed are non toxic to fish. Otherwise i have no clue =]

Ok I will make sure to write a list out for the next time I go to a garden centre but first I need to look at all their requirements :)

The species I listed are fine too. If you're scared and want to stick with known safe plants, buy marginal or aquatic plants for the terrestrial component. I know a planted tank keeper in the UK who highly recommends these people. :)

http://www.watergardenplants.co.uk/epages/es749775.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=Categories

Yes, by wisteria I mean the wisteria people keep submerged in their tanks. Besides true aquatic species, most plants have an emergent form. You can acclimate them yourself like I've done, but it's a lot easier to just buy them that way. Most Tropica plants will be emersed since that is the easiest way for nurseries to cultivate them in huge numbers.

Here is hygrophila difformis (wisteria) emersed (big image, hence only the link):

http://www.flowgrow.de/db/images/aquaticplants/detail/hygrophila-difformis-513e01031bc2c.jpg

Hygrophilas tend to have very pretty flowers, some are almost orchid like. Hygrophila corymbosa (what people call temple plant) have stunning flowers. I really like persicaria (polygonum) sp. sao paulo for flowers too; amongst other polygonums.

Another good emergent is water sprite. I love its leaf when grown this way.

certha2.jpg

Just wondering after filling the tank today and adding the powerheads how do I weigh the pvc down as it floated up slighlty and i can't keep it down and also the powerheads both have another bit you can pull off and attach a hose to add flow to another source or to a plant area if that makes sense :)

I'd glue it down. Either use hot glue or aquarium silicone. Both are easy enough to remove from the glass at a later date; the former a gentle heat and the latter a razor blade. 

Another more janky approach would be to place the piping down and put substrate and hardscape on top. The weight should keep it down, but you would want a decent layer of substrate to ensure any rocks or wood don't accidentally shatter the pvc.

I'd glue it down. Either use hot glue or aquarium silicone. Both are easy enough to remove from the glass at a later date; the former a gentle heat and the latter a razor blade. 

Another more janky approach would be to place the piping down and put substrate and hardscape on top. The weight should keep it down, but you would want a decent layer of substrate to ensure any rocks or wood don't accidentally shatter the pvc.

Ok I doubt I can glue it down or use aquarium silicon but I can add more substrate and use not too heavy rocks at the corners :)

I thought you might like to see this. This is the nano tank on my desk. I only set this up the other day, so the plants haven't taken off. It used to be a high tech planted tank with a lot of prostrate species, but now it's a low tech (high light) tank with all emergent aquatic plants. It's not finished, I'd like to add a tonne of terrestrial moss to the branches. :)

19546077606_0e8dc881b1_z.jpg

You know all those non aquarium plants a the pet store like white ribbon ect.  Those are bog plants. Great for above water planting if you are going for that look.

Arrow head plants come to mind also.

Edited by Hidr

I thought you might like to see this. This is the nano tank on my desk. I only set this up the other day, so the plants haven't taken off. It used to be a high tech planted tank with a lot of prostrate species, but now it's a low tech (high light) tank with all emergent aquatic plants. It's not finished, I'd like to add a tonne of terrestrial moss to the branches. :)

19546077606_0e8dc881b1_z.jpg

Dan, This is beautiful! What is the light fixture?

It's an ADA Aquasky 361, Lisa. :) Really nice light, a tad expensive and more powerful than needed for the tank size it was developed for (especially now that I'm not injecting co2).

Sadly the tank I was using got a leak and it was more hassle to reseal than use a different tank so im thinking of getting some terrestrial plants for a tropical tank :D

Sadly the tank I was using got a leak and it was more hassle to reseal than use a different tank so im thinking of getting some terrestrial plants for a tropical tank :D

That's a shame. Good luck with the tropical tank. :)